CIE Park Royal Surburban Coaches

Rate this topic

Kirley

Can someone answer the all-important question? What are these IRFM coaches like in reality? Finish' date=' running, etc? The seem to offer very good value for a pretty unique coach. Leslie[/quote']

I bought two park royals off IFM,and found them easy to construct,

The gangway ends are a little narrow-but it really doesn't take from the model,

I added interior lights and passengers,

They are a little too light-and will need some weight-but otherwise they are a fine coach,

I've put up a few photos of them on my layout thread Tara Junction and will have a video of them in action soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a Park Royal from IFM along with a number of other models. The PR is a fine model and runs well with my rake of cravens on Ballybeg. I added one of the cravens end-boards to the PR, did some weathering and added a functioning corridor connector to make it part of my collection. I also got their silver tin van, bulleid wagon, Lyons Tea van and their 42 foot flat. All delivered within a month of ordering and being given suitable touch ups. I am happy with each of these models and they fill important gaps in my period Irish rolling stock collection for Ballybeg. Will post some videos shortly of these running on my layout.

Can someone answer the all-important question?

What are these IRFM coaches like in reality? Finish, running, etc?

The seem to offer very good value for a pretty unique coach.

Leslie

I purchased a Park Royal from IFM along with a number of other models. The PR is a fine model and runs well with my rake of cravens on Ballybeg. I added one of the cravens end-boards to the PR, did some weathering and added a functioning corridor connector to make it part of my collection. I also got their silver tin van, bulleid wagon, Lyons Tea van and their 42 foot flat. All delivered within a month of ordering and being given suitable touch ups. I am happy with each of these models and they fill important gaps in my period Irish rolling stock collection for Ballybeg. Will post some videos shortly of these running on my layout.

will look forward to seeing that vid ger!

• 1 month later...
will look forward to seeing that vid ger!

Enniscorthyman has taken a few photos of IFM running on Ballybeg which will give some idea of how they look in the flesh: First the 40 ftflat (with and without a C-lines Bell container)

20141002_204533_zpsbo3ahrpe.jpg

20141002_203400_zpseoi6gmng.jpg

Next C Class with a pickup goods including IFM's corrugated bulleid and Lyons Tea wagons:

20141002_203733_zpskxwfmzwj.jpg

20141002_203709_zpsxcg3dctf.jpg

Next a B101 in green has charge of an IFM Tin Van in silver:

20141002_203540_zpsizli97g8.jpg

2014-10-03%2017.31.44_zpsxh28u2sx.jpg

Finally, a video showing many of the above and, in particular, an IFM Park Royal happily in the company of A20r and a rake of Cravens with a GSV - Enjoy!

th_20141002_203837_zpstxqketqu.mp4

Edited by Irishrailwayman
Added an additional photo

Thanks for that - as they say - "the proof of the pudding is in the eating".

Leslie

I put my money where my mouth was and bought a Park Royal suburban - I think it's a nice job and runs well (behind steam, to boot!). Puzzled by the wheels which seem small - anyone know if they had small wheels? I plan to get a couple more, though quite what excuse I'll use for having it in Portadown ......

• 7 months later...

It's IFM's way of achieving the correct ride height of the buffers, 14mm. All the other manufacturers seem to fit over small wheels for their own reasons.

I've been experimenting with the correct 12mm dia wheel, although every manufacturer seems to have a different idea of what is 12mm. I'll post some photos to show what I mean.

Stephen

I put my money where my mouth was and bought a Park Royal suburban - I think it's a nice job and runs well (behind steam, to boot!). Puzzled by the wheels which seem small - anyone know if they had small wheels? I plan to get a couple more, though quite what excuse I'll use for having it in Portadown ......

The Park Royals, Laminates and Cravens had 3' dia wheel smaller than the 3'7" fitted to British Rail MK1 and most earlier Irish stock.

For some reason Murphy Models used a small 10.45 mm wheel rather than the correct 12mm on the Cravens, I am not sure how this effects coupler/buffer height when coupled to other manufacturers coaches.