Graham's layout - Monkhill and Saltstown.

Rate this topic

irishthump

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the kind comments, lads.

Looks fantastic! Those little leds look great! What groundsignals are they?

These are the ground signals - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-pcs-HO-scale-2mm-LEDs-made-Railway-2-aspects-Dwarf-Signals-Green-Red-/400242410162?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item5d304e82b2

Again cheap and cheerful! They're from the same Ebay seller as the other signals. Not exactly prototypical but they look good.

• 11 months later...
I love it!! Brilliant layout, looks fab! What did you use for the concrete on the loco shed floor can i ask, im looking to do that exact finish in my loco shed,

Thanks!

The shed floor is 5mm foamboard (I cut strips of thinner card to fill between the tracks). For a concrete finish I used grey acrylic paint mixed with a little plaster which gives a nice rough texture. I used a normal bag of plaster from Woodies. As far as I can remember I toned down the finish with a thin dark wash sprayed on with my airbrush as it was a little light and too clean looking!

That looks excellent. I am doing one at the moment following the Everard Junction method
which I'm finding a nightmare, I wish I'd seen yours first!

Yes I'd seen that video. Although he does get a lovely finish on the hardstanding I did'nt fancy the idea of having to use a Dremel to gouge out the side of the tracks.

Although I should say the concrete on the refuelling point in the first pic was done slightly differently. I used 5mm MDF covered with the same mixture of paint and plaster but filled between the rails with tile grout. I did'nt come up any higher than the sleepers which meant I did'nt haveto cut channels for the wheels. I think it turned out fine.

Yes I'd seen that video. Although he does get a lovely finish on the hardstanding I did'nt fancy the idea of having to use a Dremel to gouge out the side of the tracks.

The question of creating flangeways when using plaster to represent concrete infill between the rails was discussed on the New Railway Modellers site some time back. Although that discussion related mainly to level crossings the solution proposed would work equally well for any area of hard standing:

'If you want to create a level crossing with plaster, you need something to create the clearance slots. I'd find some string which is a snug fit into the gap between the check rail and the stock rail on a set of points. Cut lengths an inch or so longer than the width of the road, one for each rail. Coat them in something sticky. Pulling them across the top of a Pritt stick might do. Then press them against the inside faces of the rails. Once you've laid the plaster and let it set hard, pull up the string and clear out the slots alongside the rail. You may need a bit of sandpaper and card to ease the slots if they prove too tight for some of your stock. Look out for six wheel locos and long wheel base wagons.'

• 3 months later...

Well I wouldn't call this an update but anyway...

The layout is history! My attic had to be cleared in a hurry for insulation to be installed, so everything had to go. To be honest, I was thinking about making some major changes

so this really forced my hand...

EB35D44D-891E-46E3-87A5-3214B2C26263_zpsxe2iwjiy.jpg

410D7FA0-666D-4AED-B7D5-E24D0F5184BC_zpswyishpgl.jpg

C99128E0-AAD5-4D55-BCA6-A0F77B4E3DB8_zpsoqgqbt6m.jpg

Anyway I'm looking forward to getting started on the new layout, hopefully it won't be too long!

Yikes IT sorry to hear you had to do that. :( I know what that feels like. :((

I hope you were able to salvage much of the amazing work you had done. I had to rip up my layout 34 years ago when moving house. It so upset me because I could salvage only the rolling stock and a few buildings as the baseboards were built into the roof structure and all the track was glued and ballasted to the boards. I vowed then if I ever built a layout again that it would be on moveable baseboard sections (i.e. semi-transportable).

I wish you well on the reconstruction. What you had already made looked great.

:trains:

Yikes IT sorry to hear you had to do that. :( I know what that feels like. :((

I hope you were able to salvage much of the amazing work you had done. :trains:

No such luck.... All I managed to save was all the peco pointwork ( I binned the Hornby ones!) and a few sections of flex track. All the ready-to-plant bits and pieces like figures, small platform details and lighting were kept and I managed to save the point motors and they're toggle switches.

Everything else went in the bin!

A new canvas!

Consider it the conversion of the Atmospheric to the DSER via the intermediate stages!

To be honest I was almost glad in happened. I had made a few blunders with the track plan which resulted in the layout not working well for operation. Also, with all the rubbish finally being gone from the attic I'll have a lot more room.

To be honest I was almost glad in happened. I had made a few blunders with the track plan which resulted in the layout not working well for operation. Also, with all the rubbish finally being gone from the attic I'll have a lot more room.

A fresh start - the layout is dead, long live the layout...

No such luck.... All I managed to save was all the peco pointwork ( I binned the Hornby ones!) and a few sections of flex track. All the ready-to-plant bits and pieces like figures, small platform details and lighting were kept and I managed to save the point motors and they're toggle switches.

Everything else went in the bin!

I admire your positive outlook. Having just re-read the entire thread and seen the stunning effect you had achieved it is hard to comprehend how any of us would feel having to tear up such workmanship.

I admire your positive outlook. Having just re-read the entire thread and seen the stunning effect you had achieved it is hard to comprehend how any of us would feel having to tear up such workmanship.

Well my attitude there is that if I built it once I can build it again! And I really enjoy the building process.

• 1 month later...