Photographic Website Updates

Rate this topic

great pics of the ARROW....god that livery brings back a lot of memories!! thanks for posting that bit of history:tumbsup:

Your welcome. And we can thank Mr. Doyle for allowing me to use them.

1998, it seems like yesterday :(( Where does the time go?

But to steal a good quote "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived."

Good evening folks,

The first update for November features:

1/11/12:

- 22031 at Rosskelton with the 1130 Cork - Heuston.

2/11/12:

- The one that got away finally succumbed to standardisation. Unit 22007 finally got the five digit number system after somehow escaping for a four year period with the obsolete cue-ball numbering system. The day after it was applied it is seen at Heuston after arriving with the 1315 from Westport.

3/11/12:

- A morning trip to Galway with photos from Portarlington, Athlone, Woodlawn, Athenry, Galway, Ballinasloe and Tullamore with 22023 + 22019 and 22055. A 4 car 2800, 2811 + 2812 + 2813 + 2814 were noted at Athenry with the 0940 Galway - Limerick.

Later on in the day I went to Carn Bridge to photograph the elusive MPV 790 which was on Water Jetting run from Kildare to Charleville.

Photos are now online at: http://smu.gs/QdTIei

The Wanderer.

Morning all,

Yesterday was an interesting day in the Laois / Kildare area.

- After its Light Engine Trial on Monday to Sallins, 461 took 3 Cravens + BR Van from Inchicore to Portlaoise. The trial was pictured at Ratheven and Portlaoise Stations. The Trial is also expected to run to Portlaoise on Wednesday morning.

- 3 X 3 ICR (22003 + 22004 + 22030) 1343 Laois Depot - Heuston passing Portlaoise.

- Video of 22060 passing Monastervin Station.

- Video of 1730 Cork - Heuston passing Monastervin Station.

- One half of the infamous pairing of units which went back to S. Korea to be rebuilt, 22011 made its first outroad trial from Heuston to Portarlington this evening. The trial was videod passing Monastervin and Kildare.

- 22032 at Monastervin with the 1805 Galway - Heuston.

- 22063 at Kildare waiting to depart with the 2045 Kildare - Heuston.

- Brand new 22059 made its entry to service today on the 0735 Heuston - Kildare. The unit was pictured at Kildare with the 2010 Heuston - Carlow.

- Video of MPV 790 departing Kildare with the Sandite run around the Dublin Suburban system.

All the pictures and videos from today are now at http://smu.gs/Sz4EPR

The Wanderer

Evening all,

Another varied and interesting day in the Laois area. It has turned into a very interesting week!

- On the 3rd and final day of out road trials for the RPSI's 461 it visited Portlaoise for the 2nd day in a row. This time, due to a brake fault with two carriages, the formation was a light load of One Craven + BR Van. Unlike yesterday when the loco ran around in the Down Station Loop, today the train ran into the Portlaoise Per-Way for the loco to be watered and run around its small train. It made for some very interesting and rare pictures. It is believed to be the first time since 1975 a steam locomotive has visited Coniberry Yard in Portlaoise. The previous occasion was when 186 took a railtour to Coolnamona Bord na Mona works. Sadly not possible today as the route is blocked by the M7 Portlaoise By-Pass.

- While all the action was ongoing in Portlaoise with the RPSI, 088 was going from Kildare to Limerick with a trial train of 10 wagons. It was pictured at Clonkeen.

- Finally, after the sucessful trial of 22011 on Tuesday night, tonight it was the turn of 22010 to be put through its paces with a return run from Heuston to Portarlington. The return leg, 2050 Portarlington - Heuston was filmed passing Monastervin. Both units should start day light trials to Mallow / Cork in the coming days.

All the photos from today are now online at: http://smu.gs/SCynHE

Enjoy!

The Wanderer.

Good evening all,

The 2nd part of the weekend in Kerry features two updates.

The first is a single photo of 22058 near Ballybane Level Crossing with the 1315 Tralee - Mallow on Saturday.

http://smu.gs/T5jo9i

The 2nd update is one of my occasional features on Forgotten Railways of Ireland. The 3rd one in the series features the 8 mile long Tralee to Fenit Branch which has never been officially closed by Iarnrod Eireann! The last train movement on the branch was an inspection car in 1988. Since then the branch has become very overgrown with the formation breached in several locations. The track has been lifted between Tralee and North Kerry Junction in the first part of conversion to the Tralee to Fenit Greenway project.

Photos of the branch can be viewed here: http://smu.gs/QRsBGg

Enjoy!

The Wanderer.

She had a rough shunt with a wagon during a driver experience course.

http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/sreply/50990/DCDR-Latest

The matter referred to involved a shunting mishap on a non-passenger line on the DCDR system, and with a non-passenger train, i.e. a light engine. Following this, the DCDR reported the matter through the relevant correct operational procedures to the statutory bodies concerned. Their response was that (a) they were satisfied with the DCDR report; (b) no remedial action of any sort is needed, as nobody was injured. That's it.

DCDR is currently involved, as I outlined in a longer post the other day, in reviewing a number of operational issues which are unrelated and which pre-date this incident. With regard to 146 itself, the loco is not owned by the DCDR, therefore it would be inappropriate for the DCDR to comment with regard to the actual loco. As griffin.garaiste suggests above, that's nobody's business but the management and membership of the ITG.

As an aside, it may be of interest to some readers that there has been a long standing, and mutually beneficial, arrangement between ITG and DCDR to the effect that ITG can store some of their locos on the DCDR (space permitting!) and in return they may be operated by the DCDR. And long may it last!

Edited by thewanderer

what happened to her?

As the wander said Seamus she was doing a driving experience day and the driver entered the sidings a little to quickly hitting some wagons. When they were repairing the loco they found a lot of rust and rot on her so she had to get extensive repairs. In one way the accident was a God send in that the rot might never have been noticed and fixed if it wasn't for the damage caused by the accident uncovering it.

Tonights update is two videos from Monastervin.

The first is of 4008 leading the 1830 Cork - Heuston through the station.

The 2nd is:

The nominated loco 234 for the 0815 Ballina - North Wall IWT Liner was declared a failure this morning before departure from Ballina. It was replaced by 082 but this also failed outside Ballina due to it being down in power. The train returned to Ballina and was cancelled due to no other locomotive being available in the West of Ireland.

220 which worked the 0930 North Wall - Ballina Liner arrived into Ballina at 1425 and this locomotive was used to operate a retimed 1615 Ballina - North Wall IWT Liner.

The train was videoed passing Monastervin running about 10 minutes early in the revised schedule.

Both videos may be found at: http://smu.gs/T7SuOj

The Wanderer.

• 2 weeks later...

Have added the following photos to mywebsite taken in November 2012

15.11.12 Trains at Portadown Station at night

16.11.12 Belfast Area

18.11.12 Irish Traction Group Diesel Gala at the Downpatrick & County Down

Railway

21.11.12 Belfast Area

22.11.12 NIR Sandite Train 8069-8097-8752-8094 passes Carn Portadown

25.11.12 Steam locos move RPSI Harvey & DCDR O&K1 by road Sunday

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/26669894_GM7hCS#!i=2231243057&k=zDx8BJr

Evening folks,

It has been a very busy week away from the camera so I haven't had a chance to upload any photos from the past week.

The latest Irish Photos include:

Thursday 22nd November 083 operated a Limerick - Kildare - Limerick wagon trial.

Friday 23rd November the C.I.E. Male Choir were at Heuston for Christmas Carol singing.

http://smu.gs/Rev7Xk

Over the weekend of the 23rd-25th November I spent the weekend in Hastings for the Hastings Diesels A Canterbury Trail railtour.

Pictures of the railtour are featured at: http://smu.gs/ReuZHt

Other odds and sods from the weekend include pictures from:

Locations include:

Brighton

Lewis

Eastbourne

Hastings

Ashford

London St. Pancras

Temple

http://smu.gs/Tx7k0N

Enjoy,

The Wanderer.

Edited by thewanderer

Evening folks,

The backlog from the last week continues to be cleared and this evenings update features freight trains in the Portlaoise area. On Thursday 29th two timber wagons were transferred from Limerick to Inchicore and in the opposite direction the Container Pocket Wagons were transferred from North Wall to Limerick to be prepared for a return to traffic in the new year with the DFDS Liner. These wagons had been stored in North Wall for the last part of 2012 since IWT ceased using them. Pictures of the two transfers are now online at http://smu.gs/TzUfnG

The Wanderer.

Wanderer, terrible pity that the CPWs are withdrawn. It would answer my prayers if the CPWs and the DFDS were to return to service and to return together but I think the CPWs cant be used on the Waterford line because of their long wheel base and the tightness of the curve at Lavistown loop.

Great pics by the way.

The CPW' aren't currently cleared for the Waterford line. When first used they were confined to Dublin - Cork and had to operate through Lim Jct at reduced speed. This was due to some issue with mechanically operated points and the CPW's were not suitable for this. I haven't a clue as to why this was.

Now that all the main radial routes are CTC / Mini-CTC this issue no longer applies so I see no reason why CPW's won't be cleared to operate to Waterford. Afterall they had to be cleared Portarlington - Ballina to be used on the IWT.

As for the DFDS, I have heard it from seperate sources that they are coming back to rail and the movement of the CPW's to Limerick for maintenance does reinforce this fact.

The Wanderer.

P.S. Thanks for viewing the pictures. :)

The CPW' aren't currently cleared for the Waterford line. When first used they were confined to Dublin - Cork and had to operate through Lim Jct at reduced speed. This was due to some issue with mechanically operated points and the CPW's were not suitable for this. I haven't a clue as to why this was.

Now that all the main radial routes are CTC / Mini-CTC this issue no longer applies so I see no reason why CPW's won't be cleared to operate to Waterford. Afterall they had to be cleared Portarlington - Ballina to be used on the IWT.

As for the DFDS, I have heard it from seperate sources that they are coming back to rail and the movement of the CPW's to Limerick for maintenance does reinforce this fact.

The Wanderer.

P.S. Thanks for viewing the pictures. :)

Brilliant, have you any idea when the DFDS might return?