Smaller UK/US Model Stores - Has anyone ever used/bought from?

Rate this question

Blu Bianco

Question

Has anyone here ever ordered from:

Digitrains - http://www.digitrains.co.uk

Wickness - http://www.wicknessmodels.co.uk

Tony's Train XChange - http://www.tonystrains.com

Are they good to deal with? Any issues?

I'm looking into the possibility of getting an NCE Power Cab, with a Smart Booster. (Although there are other options, Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2 or Roco Z21,I am fully researching the cans and can't's of expansion of each before I go with one).

But if I was going down the expansion with the NCE route I would need a UTP Panel for the Booster for the NCE Power Cab, and I don't see them in Hattons or Rails.

If no one has ordered from those above, but knows of a good online store to get a NCE UTP Panel then I'd really appreciate it, just to know it is possible!

Thank you!

21 answers to this question

Has anyone here ever ordered from:

Digitrains - http://www.digitrains.co.uk

Wickness - http://www.wicknessmodels.co.uk

Tony's Train XChange - http://www.tonystrains.com

Are they good to deal with? Any issues?

I'm looking into the possibility of getting an NCE Power Cab, with a Smart Booster. (Although there are other options, Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2 or Roco Z21,I am fully researching the cans and can't's of expansion of each before I go with one).

But if I was going down the expansion with the NCE route I would need a UTP Panel for the Booster for the NCE Power Cab, and I don't see them in Hattons or Rails.

If no one has ordered from those above, but knows of a good online store to get a NCE UTP Panel then I'd really appreciate it, just to know it is possible!

Thank you!

Hi, I have ordered on line from Digitrains for sound decoders and found their service first class. I would highly recommend them as a vary satisfied customer.

Thanks irishthump and richrua.

I see Wickness and Coastal use Paypal, not a big fan of it for own reasons.

As for Digitrains, it doesn't appear obvious on their website, but since you have all used them, from memory, do they have a regular C.Card payment system or do they only use Paypal also?

Thanks irishthump and richrua.

I see Wickness and Coastal use Paypal, not a big fan of it for own reasons.

As for Digitrains, it doesn't appear obvious on their website, but since you have all used them, from memory, do they have a regular C.Card payment system or do they only use Paypal also?

I have used PayPal with Digitrians with no problem, but I think they take credit card orders too.

+1 for Digitrains, bought quite a bit off them over the last few years found them good to deal with.

Thanks Dave, you've been a mine of information over the past two days!

Its good to get to know some of the other good shops around. Will be certainly looking at them.

I have used PayPal with Digitrians with no problem, but I think they take credit card orders too.

Hopefully they take non-paypal-based credit card orders too. Just don't want to be registering with them (you have to before you even place an order) and then find out it is only Paypal! My own reasons for not wanting paypal, I know many people like it though and thats cool too.

Edited by Blu Bianco

+1 for Digitrains, bought quite a bit off them over the last few years found them good to deal with.

+1

Have used Digitrains for USA products and very happy with their service (e.g. NCE, digitrax). For european DCC products I have also used Kieskemper http://www.kieskemper-shop.de and happy (e.g. Lenz+ESU kit usually better priced than Euro-GBP-Euro double hop currency loss).

Noel,

I and other members of Perth and District Model Railway Club, use equipment supplied by Digitrains. They attended our Show last year and are due to attend again in 2016. Their services are excellent.

A number of our Club Members have, in the past, had unfortunate experiences with DCC equipment. Generally, the problems were with starter and upgraded products from Hornby, Bachmann and Guagemaster.

Our preferred Manufacturer is; - DIGITRAX. The Club and a signigicant number of our membership use this manufacturers products, our preferred supplier, Digitrains.

The reasons we prefer DIGITRAX are:-

They offer a range of controllers, they provide a handset with two control knobs, their equipment is such that increased performance is achieved easily, your original purchase does not become redundant when you require additional functions or capacity. Most importantly, their after sales service is, in my and the Club members opinion, excellent.

Their dual knob controller also allows simple use of, and for, Consisting Locomotives - Control of multiple locomotives; or trains, from a single handset, using multiple train address numbers. This cannot, as far as I am aware be achieved by either the NCE or Guagemaster systems. Guagemaster is a badged NCE Product).

... snip ...

Their dual knob controller also allows simple use of, and for, Consisting Locomotives - Control of multiple locomotives; or trains, from a single handset, using multiple train address numbers. This cannot, as far as I am aware be achieved by either the NCE or Guagemaster systems. Guagemaster is a badged NCE Product).

Hi Old Blarney

Yes the dual rotary knob is a nice feature of Digitrax cabs alright. NCE is particularly user friendly configuring consists and recalls of loco addresses. I found the function buttons on the Digitrax cab just a little on the small side, but that's just personal preference.

Guagemaster is a badged NCE Product).

I thought Guagemaster was a badged MRC product rather than NCE, but I could be wrong.

Strange but true - Something I only learned after moving from DC to DCC, was what method of throttle control worked best for me (i.e. +/-buttons, verses rotary knobs and sliders). Before I changed to DCC I was quite sure I wanted rotary knobs or sliders because that's what I was used to with DC. However having made the transition I now prefer push buttons for '+' and '-' increment/decrements of throttle speed steps (0-28). In DC land rotary knobs gave very fine control especially shunting, but in DCC land especially DCC sound most of my locos have reasonable acceleration and braking delays setup in the decoders (CV3/4) and the lag doesn't seem to suit rotary knobs as well as +/- buttons which more accurately mimic notch settings. I find I tend to use the +4 and -4 buttons to control locos, even when shunting. Throttles set up for 0-28 speed steps emulate 8 notches if one uses the INC-4 and DEC-4 buttons which seems to suit ESU and Zimo diesel sound projects. Incidentally the NCE has a flush mounted rotary throttle knob as well the the speed step buttons but I don't use the knob anymore. As they say 'horses for courses', each of us has our own ways of doing things and there is no right nor wrong.

Cheers

Noel

yes I have had great service from digitrains and wickness. Also have a look at these guys too, very good. http://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/nce/power-cab

They make this apparently odd claim on their website regarding ProCab

"We provide a Power Supply sourced within the UK, so no US-UK adapters, the Power Supply is of a better specification than that supplied by NCE for the UK market. We have found that with the NCE supplied UK transformer that the track voltage is too low to work with the ‘00’ market and results in slower top speeds and stuttering sound."

…….although I haven't heard anyone complaining about their NCE system in this regard

Noel,

I and other members of Perth and District Model Railway Club, use equipment supplied by Digitrains. They attended our Show last year and are due to attend again in 2016. Their services are excellent.

A number of our Club Members have, in the past, had unfortunate experiences with DCC equipment. Generally, the problems were with starter and upgraded products from Hornby, Bachmann and Guagemaster.

Our preferred Manufacturer is; - DIGITRAX. The Club and a signigicant number of our membership use this manufacturers products, our preferred supplier, Digitrains.

The reasons we prefer DIGITRAX are:-

They offer a range of controllers, they provide a handset with two control knobs, their equipment is such that increased performance is achieved easily, your original purchase does not become redundant when you require additional functions or capacity. Most importantly, their after sales service is, in my and the Club members opinion, excellent.

I can certainly recommend Digitrax for durability and after sales service. I have used the mid level Empire Builder based system for over 16 years in N, HO, On30 and G Scale. The original DB 150 command stations are still going strong but I upgraded the system to radio control about 7 years ago with a combination of dual knob and utility throttles.

I mainly bought from Tony's Trains Exchange in both Ireland and here in New Zealand.

They make this apparently odd claim on their website regarding ProCab

"We provide a Power Supply sourced within the UK, so no US-UK adapters, the Power Supply is of a better specification than that supplied by NCE for the UK market. We have found that with the NCE supplied UK transformer that the track voltage is too low to work with the ‘00’ market and results in slower top speeds and stuttering sound."

…….although I haven't heard anyone complaining about their NCE system in this regard

USA manufactures use a slightly lower track voltage than Europeans such as Lenz, ESU, etc, but it doesn't seem to effect the pulsed output voltage of decoders to motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Blarney View Post

Guagemaster is a badged NCE Product).

No, Gaugemaster are rebadged MRC not NCE controllers.

Irishthump,

Thank you for your correction to my error. My sincere apologies to all involved.I]

This afternoon, I decided to 'run my railway'. I normally use the control knobs for acceleration and breaking of trains, This afternoon, I used the + and - keys on my Digitrax Handsets. A very useful feature. I had totally forgotten one can use this function as an alternative to the knobs for controlling trains!

. . .

This afternoon, I decided to 'run my railway'. I normally use the control knobs for acceleration and breaking of trains, This afternoon, I used the + and - keys on my Digitrax Handsets. A very useful feature. I had totally forgotten one can use this function as an alternative to the knobs for controlling trains![/color]

I found DCC locos that had a ZERO value in CV3/4 (i.e. no acceleration nor braking delays) were easier to fine control with rotary/slider throttle knobs than buttons, but if CV3/4 had acceleration delay values programmed I found the +/- buttons worked really well.

Its a bit like buying an enthusiast camera, you just don't know for sure how they ergonomically feel in hand until you get a chance to try a few out in a large camera store. Due to small market size here there are no model rail stores that can afford to carry demo stock of three or four brands of DCC controllers, and probably very few even in the UK. Possibly a good place to get a close up look at a few different DCC systems in operation is probably medium to large model railway exhibitions in the UK. Its difficult to asses ergonomics just from looking at brochures and web sites, but youtube can be helpful.