Richard EH Posted May 31, 2016 Share Posted May 31, 2016 The idea for this model sprang from two sources. An article in New Irish Lines Volume 5 No.2, which provided the scale drawing and a photo to work from, and the availability in my ‘things to do one day’ pile – this was actually one I’ve had since my childhood of an old Airfix Great Western Toad brake van which initially looked as though it might be a good quick start for a conversion….In addition I have a cambrian BR ‘shark’ van in stock which looked as though it might provide a ballast plough… Once I’d had a closer look, it became apparent that the bodywork of the GN van, whilst initially similar would need a lot of work to convert, so I resolved to replace the bodywork with a scratchbuilt bodyshell. This has been built from evergreen 2.1mm planked plasticard siding as the basic shell, with 30 thou plasticard for the floor and internal partitions. Once the basic box was built up, I used plastruct 90501 1.2mm ‘L’ section to produce the distinctive ironwork. However, it was apparent that the body was slightly wider than the old airfix toad roof, so I couldn’t use that either and it also had to go…..I’ve replaced that with a 3d printed roof I designed to fit. For the chassis, I took the razor saw to it to take a section of the chassis out and shorten it down to the length of the GN van. Careful reglueing is required here to keep the chassis square, and a section of plasticard was glued across the join. Looking at the photo of the GN van, it’s apparent that the footboards do not extend the length of the vehicle, so more careful razor sawing was required to carefully cut these out. There’s a section over one axle which is difficult to remove, I left that in as it wouldn’t be worth removing it and I don’t think it’s too noticeable. For the ballast plough, I ended up drawing a plough rather than using the Cambrian shark which I resolved to keep for a project to provide a ballast plough for my IFM wagons which are on order… The plough is quite a complex shape which would be a tricky build in plasticard but is simplicity itself for a 3d print. Using the drawing I took a broad look at the shape which has come out well – I also printed a couple of supports to attach it to the chassis as a strong one piece item. I did then cape the plan to keep the Cambrian shark as a complete kit straight away by using the plough wheel in the open section of the GN van, as it’s quite a noticeable feature…. Oh well….! Final detailing is now underway, using various brass wire and offcuts for the handrails and lamp irons. I’ve also plenty of archer transfer rivets left so attaching some of these is the next job followed by painting and transfers from railtec. I’ve no photos of these vans in later life, only the photo in New Irish Lines, therefore I’m not sure how long the GNR(I) shown lasted, I may well finish it off just with GN and the number of the van shown in the photo, that’ll be fine for me in the absence of any other info. So now it looks like I’ve got a GNRi ballast plough van, three CIE ballast hoppers on order, and could’ve kept the toad if I’d sourced a chassis from elsewhere – oh well….!I’ll have to also look at a a few GN hoppers which are also in the NiL article – I suspect Cambrian kit C110 (Herring) may be a good start, or even the recent Cambrian ‘open’ chassis kit C105 with a printed hopper. The Cambrian open is a good development - this will also be useful for the GN cement van/hoppers I think, more on that when I manage to get hold of a couple of these, apparent semi mythical, beasts….. perhaps a CIE van will turn up from other sources in due course…… 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.