Clogher Valley Project

Rate this topic

13 minutes ago, Broadstone said:

Thanks for the suggestions JHB, I will look into them. 

As an aside, may I be so bold as to say that I brought your very fine new book "Rails through Connemara" at the Alexander Palace model show and I am now thoroughly enjoying reading it. A great book about a wonderful railway. I have explored much of it (we have friends in Headford) and the landscape is so beautiful. 

Very many thanks, Broadstone, much appreciated!

• 4 months later...

Fintonagh was at the Bredgar & Wormshill Railway this weekend. Lots of 2' gauge locos on show, both steam and diesel, so overall, a very nice way to spend a couple days. John Fowler, Decauville, Orstein & Koppell & Hunslet to name but a few. 

Note the detail on the coach bogie being rebuilt too. No2 below is one of the engines I did my driver training experience on - and a very fine day that was as well.

DSCN4908.thumb.jpeg.a35b16ad5320f5aea7aceab3c47101bf.jpeg

DSCN4909.thumb.jpeg.6acbcdc88c9ef4d79917ddcb2b97f7a2.jpeg

DSCN4910.thumb.jpeg.b48809657cef2411ab6836d4a0e63b27.jpeg

DSCN4911.thumb.jpeg.d4712256163221389936917a58624114.jpeg

DSCN4914.thumb.jpeg.28b7a7eb6156d67765e411dcfa49075e.jpeg

DSCN4915.thumb.jpeg.00e7f3d8b426372f83e4982df625f274.jpeg

DSCN4916.thumb.jpeg.8d632ebdbc54be34923408b8e1c4b807.jpeg

DSCN4917.thumb.jpeg.102ffe33774ea075b3c66827f0dfc0e4.jpeg

DSCN4913.jpeg

• Like 13
  • WOW! 1

• 5 weeks later...

Another local (for me) outing for Fintonagh this weekend at the Faversham Show. Faversham is also a very pretty town that is well worth a visit. After than comes a one day show in Sudbury, Suffolk on the first of October.

However, the big date for me, in more ways that one is going to be 12th November, as Fintonagh has been invited to the model show at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum, Cultra. Took Arigna Town there a few years ago, so certainly looking forward to visiting again. Less sure about the near 1000 mile road and ferry trip, but there are certain invites you just don't say no to!

• Like 6

On 8/9/2022 at 7:51 AM, David Holman said:

Sorry to read that, Patrick. Am very much hoping to see a few of you folk from the other side of the water.

Even though I won't have the great pleasure of seeing Fintonagh (and your good self!) at Cultra David, I do appreciate the mammoth effort you will be making in order to be there, thank you for that - looking forward to the photos and video clips!

• Like 1

Maggie Coulter's Goat

Students of the Clogher Valley Railway will no doubt be aware of this infamous animal. EM Patterson's history of the line says:

"Approaching Fivemiletown, you pass the spot where drivers were often confronted by Maggie Coulter's goat, standing resolutely on the line. The goat was rarely intimidated by the approaching train, or by the whistles, but would shift if live coals were thrown at it. Local wags claimed that Maggie deliberately placed the goat on the line to get coals for her hearth and that she never wanted a heart for her fire!'

DSCN4931.jpeg.5ae4ef891b3baf4a1b27e2a4ccb1c310.jpeg

I've had a goat on my wish list for a while, but apart from a couple of cast figures from Duncan Models have not been able to find anything suitable - especially given that Maggie's one has a real 'Don't mess with me, sunshine' look about it. Therefore, decided I had no alternative but to make one of my own. Did this with some cattle a few years ago for Arigna Town - mainly because it was a lot cheaper than buying 20+ cast metal ones!

Ultimately, it is a simple case of making a plastic sub-frame, to give the general body shape, then add DAS clay to flesh it all out. Seem to remember that at first, the cattle all looked like giant sheep and suspect this will also be the case with the goat, so a fair bit of judicious filing will be in order.

DSCN4932.jpeg.e3b50f50dbebc60ca9d8ce2ccc841d01.jpeg

DSCN4933.jpeg.e0e986ac1635f7d9e285544909bdbfa8.jpeg 

Given that the goat was clearly a bit of a feisty character, completely averse to the following of rules, but happy to indulge itself at others' expense, have decided he will be called Boris. No prizes for working out why...

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Stage two of the model goat has been to add a layer of DAS clay, along with a piece of wire [passing right through the head] as a frame for the ears. An initial bit of sanding to shape has taken place, though still a long way to go, as at the moment, it resembles a sheep - just like my cattle models. Strange that...

Boris has also undergone a sex change, as looking at the photo, Maggie's goat was clearly a nanny. Far more useful to her when you think about it. Am probably now going to call it Margaret, after another robust politician who was never going to change her ways either!

DSCN4937.jpeg.f1ec78907caa137a4e76e2ba2ec17fdb.jpeg

DSCN4936.jpeg.3d49345e11c87a697d06cee2222c4f12.jpeg

Maggie's goat looks like it was a fairly long haired specimen, so am currently pondering how I might represent that. Haven't used teddy bear fur for years, though still have a piece, but, with the model being so small, it may be better to just scratch a representation straight on to the clay. We're having a bit of a family gathering over the weekend, so unlikely to get much done for a couple of days.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, David Holman said:

so am currently pondering how I might represent that.

What about using fairly short static grass fibres? Apply in the usual manner, and gently smooth flat like the animal's coat, perhaps with a soft paintbrush, before the glue dries. When dry, lightly airbrush over with goat-colour paint.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Thanks Mark, had been thinking about that, but getting the fibres to fall the right way could be difficult. The model is only 3cm long and there's a danger of over doing things!

Worth a try though.

Yes - you'd have to "brush" the fibres soon after applying them to mimic how the real animal's coat lies. Although the "plugged into the mains" look would be quite funny..... 😆

Or, after you're absolutely happy with the goat's shape, what about a very thin final covering of thinned clay more like potter's slip but not quite as runny. Then use a toothbrush or similar to brush in the goat's hair while it's still damp.

Perhaps a trial on a spare lump of clay might be worthwhile!

Cheers,

Mark

• Informative 1

Plenty of gentle filing today has resulted in Maggie looking a lot more goat like. I also added some small blobs of PVA to thicken the hooves and build up the area around the eyes. Horns came next - small lengths of 1.5mm brass wire, filed to a point, bent to shape, then fitted to holes drilled in the top of the head.

Decided not to worry about making the figure hairy. In fact, by using fairly thick acrylic paint and a short, hogs hair brush, managed to create a bit of texture. Started with matt black, then dry brushed white and grey on top to highlight the coat, eyes and hooves.

Couldn't resist posing Maggie looking threatening, in front of a departing train, though she will actually live under the big tree.

DSCN4939.thumb.jpeg.3868d732fc56d835cc73f4a8ad2f1d03.jpeg

DSCN4941.thumb.jpeg.5122c7b5b59acf16ab15e212b76a1693.jpeg 

Making this little model has been a fun distraction from other tasks. Overall, it has probably taken me about 6-8 hours over 3-4 days. Had their been a suitable figure to buy, then I would have definitely gone along that route. However, making one myself certainly means I now appreciate how much effort goes into making the masters for figures like this.

DSCN4944.thumb.jpeg.38bc7ba74e17fa2bcbf90e98ad9c1ffb.jpeg

• Like 10
  • WOW! 2

• 1 month later...

Exhibition Stuff

Watching a young couple fussing over their new baby in town the other day, it struck me that the amount of stuff they need to cart around for their baby is not unlike what exhibitors need to take a layout to a show. Ok, thankfully not nappies and feeding stuff, but no matter how hard you try, the amount of extras required to take a layout on the road often takes up as much space as the baseboards themselves. Later this week, Fintonagh starts its 1000 mile round trip from Kent to Belfast, so have been going through all the necessary stuff, in the hope I don't leave anything behind!

• First, there are the two baseboards of course, plus the fiddle yard
  • Next comes the support framework: two folding beams and two adjustable trestles
  • The pelmet and fascia, plus the two lighting strips and rear bracket make up the rest of the infrastructure 

DSCN5009.thumb.jpeg.1bfba959094570867c8ecf1b2b69c68e.jpeg

DSCN5010.thumb.jpeg.682d5af5e990e3b7b3f333d92bf43ae6.jpeg

DSCN5006.thumb.jpeg.3eca8c70cdd716f8dce98121c813c873.jpeg

• Two very important items are my tool box [hopefully enabling any minor repairs] and what I call the 'sundries crate'. The latter has all the other essential bits and pieces such as all the electrics [transformers, controllers, extension leads], drapes, cleaning materials,[including portable vacuum], fixing bolts etc. There is also the all important notebook, which details loading in the car, setting up, train formations and the ability to record any issues before the next outing.
  • Two more boxes contain the locos/ rolling stock and the loose scenic items such as road vehicles and the pub [which covers the baseboard join].
  • A couple of bar stools complete the ensemble

DSCN5008.thumb.jpeg.31274bee5c03054ae1d34cac2bfd2caa.jpeg

DSCN5011.thumb.jpeg.c558cf171c11e425788c76a8159de9e6.jpeg

DSCN5004.thumb.jpeg.2b04c66c69f4308c36834b40d86671fc.jpeg

DSCN5005.thumb.jpeg.7b1d8634266c28268206e29ec6d9a98f.jpeg

All this needs to be carefully loaded into the car and hopefully leaving room for personal luggage! It also has to be well secured too, for there is nothing worse than undertaking a long trip only to find that a few miles in, something has come loose and you then have to put up with an annoying rattle.

Given the state of many of our public roads, there is also the worry that your layout might be reduced to kit form by the time you arrive, while this time there is the added  issue of the sea crossing from Cairnryan to Belfast - which is currently forecast for gales on Friday...

Wish me luck!

• Like 8
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 6

Well, made it to Cultra this afternoon and the layout is set up and (hopefully) ready for Saturday. Lovely to see all the main exhibits and to pitch up in front of Railcar 1, masquerading as Donegal 10.

An interesting trip, shall we say, starting with a battle with Just Say No activists, who made it impossible to access the Dartford tunnels on Wednesday morning. A half hour trip turned into three hours...

After an overnight stop to see my mother, headed further up the A1 to Ripon and then across the Pennines to Dumfries. This morning, got the Stena ferry to Belfast. Greeted by the captain saying it wouldn't be a good idea to go outside as the combined wind speed of ship into gale was adding up to 80mph! Turned out it wasn't even a good idea to try standing up in waves close to 20 feet from trough to crest, though things improved once we turned into Belfast Lough.

Belfast traffic meanwhile has not improved since we were here last time, but has it anywhere ? At least it wasn't raining while we unloaded. Very much looking forward to the show!

• Like 9

Great to see so many folk today and put faces to names, not least JHB. The best venue anywhere for a model railway show? I don't know of a better one!

Many thanks for the hospitality and support from all the organisers, especially Ian and his wife from Friends of Cultra, plus so many kind comments from visitors. Likewise J-Mo for helping out with the operating too.

Thoroughly enjoyed the day.

• Like 7

• 5 months later...

It was great to have GM & his son's company on Saturday and even better to have two accomplished operators. Think I can finally remember how to pronounce Leitrim! Many thanks for a lovely day and some fine pictures. The loco inside the shed is a first, not least because it only just fits...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1