Double height Beet Wagon kit is now available

Rate this topic

leslie10646

As I said in another thread, my postman was busy this morning, staggering up the path in the rain (but still wearing shorts!) carrying a steam loco and two dozen wagons - a strong man?

So, boxes two and three had these in them -

DSC01625.jpg

The kit looks like this and you've seen photos of the finished job already - the kit label shows you anyway.

DSC01628.jpg

I'm tempted to send one to Kieran, so that someone can time him building it.

Half an hour, K? Not painted, off course - another ten minutes?

On sale now at

£25 each , post paid

Or

€30 to Euroland (the cost of postage has gone up again!).

For those of you coming to Bangor, I'll be selling them there for a little less, as exhibition costs are a bit less than postage - if I sell enough.

By the way, if you order more than one, the cost will come down, as I save on postage.

Watch this space for two more wagons before Bangor!

Leslie

As I said in another thread, my postman was busy this morning, staggering up the path in the rain (but still wearing shorts!) carrying a steam loco and two dozen wagons - a strong man?

So, boxes two and three had these in them -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27289[/ATTACH]

The kit looks like this and you've seen photos of the finished job already - the kit label shows you anyway.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27290[/ATTACH]

I'm tempted to send one to Kieran, so that someone can time him building it.

Half an hour, K? Not painted, off course - another ten minutes?

On sale now at

£25 each , post paid

Or

€30 to Euroland (the cost of postage has gone up again!).

For those of you coming to Bangor, I'll be selling them there for a little less, as exhibition costs are a bit less than postage - if I sell enough.

By the way, if you order more than one, the cost will come down, as I save on postage.

Watch this space for two more wagons before Bangor!

Leslie

They look superb Leslie,

I am very very tempted to

get a few.I may have a look at the

Piggy Bank.

I'm ordering my few today. Happy as a dog with two mickies.

The clever ones among you will know that Des does transfers for the double beets - this old age pensioner had slept through that and I had no intention of providing transfers.

However, the Man from the West and I are in debate and transfers will be included - the price may have to go up a little - there is a limit to my generosity to my fellow man (woman?) - it isn't a Great Northern wagon after all!

Thanks for the comments, folks.

Leslie

The clever ones among you will know that Des does transfers for the double beets - this old age pensioner had slept through that and I had no intention of providing transfers.

However, the Man from the West and I are in debate and transfers will be included - the price may have to go up a little - there is a limit to my generosity to my fellow man (woman?) - it isn't a Great Northern wagon after all!

Thanks for the comments, folks.

Leslie

An update on the pricing front.

Des and I have designed a mini sheet for the kit and although he is robbing me blind (only kidding - I "took him outside") - I will stick with the published price of £25, €30 for the kit and £110, €130 for a Five pack UNTIL THE DATE OF THE BANGOR SHOW. I'll review after that.

Thanks to those of you who have already ordered. I've put "My Man" on unpaid overtime to cope.

Leslie

• 1 year later...

Well just started numbering mine and all bar the white running number not on the read ground  have found homes but this "fellow" defeats !  I have looked at two DVDs 4 books and a quick canter on the interwebthingy and cannot find a good set of clear top down photos - I have the feeling the number was so the elevated operators at Wellingtonbridge could indulge in wagon spotting, just cannot prove it.

Hardly OCD head exploding but if anybody can help ...?

thanks

Robert     

Robert

If I've understood your query correctly, I think my sheet of what goes where may help. Although your description of the number has me wondering! Maybe it's something Des dreamt up while playing his guitar and added it to the sheet just to confuse us all?

Obviously, I forgot to include the sheet with your kits - you can't get the suppliers these days …….

E-mailed it to you a minute ago.

Apologies

Leslie

19 hours ago, Garfield said:

That's the barytes after they were modified for use as spoil wagons with the removal of the lifting gear for the body sides. 

The stenciled test markings on the wagons suggests the photo was taken in the mid '00s...

Thanks for that. That would make sense that it's much more recent

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi 

Just back from a few days in Wales  and in answer to Leslie`s comment. I can happily confirm the kits are really easy to build and make up is well thought out - but after 40 years messing in the hobby I can say  that.

If you want to start with kits good old airfix are hard to beat (see what I did there!) but many others are available and no need to start with railway subjects.  Also the downloadable Scale scenes card kits (others available) are a good area to learn cutting and gluing skills.

Time will be an issue but 10 minutes here and there are not too had to find - and time spent thinking about how to are not wasted if you get on with it - modelers are often afflicted with a level of procrastination  that make governments look good !

The beet kits have a resin skin or flash on the bracing and brake gear  but this helps keep all bits together and can with a sharp scalpel be cleanly  removed. The basic chassis and body glue together - two items and basic wagon is done.  Adding brake gear, buffers, bracing parts and couplings  work of 20 minutes after a 20 minute cleaning up session. a super glue - thick/ gel type worked for me.      

Using a good photograph aided fitting the internals as no ledges to help position - but if you run loaded not needed as buried in beet! 

Painting was with a can of Halfords grey primer - inside and out followed by a bauxite primer , matt varnish to seal and then a gloss as a base in areas where the transfers go.  Wheel middles I hand painted in rust. track dirt and inserted and fitted kaydee couplings - see thread on here about that ,  

I did a rake of 5 spread over a month or so.  It is a relaxation hobby ( so we are told) so no need to rush - except  in the 48 hours before an exhibition...... you know who you are ! 

• Like 2

On 7/6/2018 at 2:54 PM, K801 said:

I just wouldn't have the time or experience to built those beautiful kits

On 6/22/2018 at 4:25 PM, K801 said:

will IRM offer RTR beet wagons at some stage?

That's what I was thinking also, I'm not a kit builder and would never be happy with my work, so I'll leave it in the hands of the RTR chaps.

9 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

......................................modellers are often afflicted with a level of procrastination  that make governments look good !

Never, ever, ever, ever was a truer word uttered!!!!

Have we a single member here who can say "not guilty"? I doubt it - certainly not me!

Edited by jhb171achill

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Robert for the perfect analysis of how to build this kit, which was of an iconic vehicle.

Like you, I was very impressed that Michael  Rayner (the modeller who designed the kit) made it so that by gluing two pieces together you almost had a running wagon!

The same is true of the little brother of this wagon - my best-selling Bulleid corrugated open - again a couple of parts and the wagon looks like a wagon! Mind you, the single deck version has a more difficult brake gear - but I've seen a lot of them and the modellers have reproduced the delicate brake gear very well - as for the weathering, some are just brilliant!

Still available from me, of course!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1