Dugort Harbour

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

3 hours ago, BSGSV said:

Now don't be upsetting a man who's clearly been enjoying himself. The distant appears to be for trains leaving the terminus, so it must be a gate distant, like the one just off the platform at Rosslare Strand heading for Waterford. Gate distants worked off the gate heels would be off in both directions. Gatekeeper just a bit slow closing the gates after the arriving train.

4 hours ago, Galteemore said:

That’s looking really good. Loads of atmosphere even without the exiguous buildings. Shouldn’t that distant be fixed at danger though ?;) 

Yes, it should be fixed at danger! And, it should be a home signal, not a distant! Valentia had but the one starter signal, and that's what is supposed to be there.

That's one of a number of small details which will need attention in time.

Regarding buildings, the corrugated-clad goods store is almost finished - basic shed with one end window and sliding doors either side. There will be a small signal cabin, though I've lost some of the bits in the house move, so it might end up as a ground frame, like at Valentia Harbour in its later days - after its erstwhile cabin was taken away (or blew away!)....

The main station building will be modelled at that at Kilgarvan (Healy-Rae) or several on the Valentia line or in Wisht Caark. Single storey corrugated building with no awning, like some of those places. The overall intention is to retain the uncluttered, barren look. The station building will be removable, and underneath it, hidden when it is in place, will be a flat concrete area which shows the place with the building removed. When operated in 1950s mode with steam, the station will be there with mixed or passenger trains appearing, but when operated in 1960s or early 70s mode, CIE have removed the building as it is now goods only. 

It's amazing what activity you can create just pushing trucks about!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JasonB said:

Great shot. Love it. 

I was thinking of those pics you used to see in the IRRS journal, or old newspaper clippings pinned to noticeboards in the signal cabin or somewhere like that in rural stations...."That's me da second left the day the last steam train left here..." sort of thing...

Shunting in progress; it's fair day today, but the cattle men are shtill drivin' their bastes along rural roads, aided by a teenager with a shtick.

Still early, daybreak. There's always a spare guard's van here, and empty cattle wagons were brought in yesterday for today's bargains at the mart.

IMG_9451.JPG

IMG_E9450.JPG

The morning passenger train arrives.

It will return with an extra coach due to market day traffic.

IMG_9452.JPG

IMG_9453 (2).JPG

Next, the goods arrives. Its return trip will be a lot heavier, as thirty wagons of cattle will be added to the normal half a dozen vans. It pulls into the cattle platform loop, to allow the midday passenger train to leave.

IMG_9454 (2).JPG

IMG_9455.JPG

IMG_E9458.JPG

• Like 12

Evocative of my childhood interaction with Irish trains. I can just remember getting off the train at Fermoy station with my parents on a summers night…..

Beautiful stuff. Well done.

John

Quick question about the cattle wagons.  Im assuming you regard the Dapol cattle wagon as a good base for an Irish model of same?

is there much work to be done on it?

John

• Like 2

5 hours ago, johnfromoz said:

Evocative of my childhood interaction with Irish trains. I can just remember getting off the train at Fermoy station with my parents on a summers night…..

Beautiful stuff. Well done.

John

Quick question about the cattle wagons.  Im assuming you regard the Dapol cattle wagon as a good base for an Irish model of same?

is there much work to be done on it?

John

John - Like all British designs, they’re a very different design to anything Irish; in truth, Provincial Wagons kits are the only show in town. 

Before Provincial had ever announced their cattle wagons, I bought a couple of Dapol, Hornby or Bachmann ones - two out of those three anyway - to see what could be done with them, but unless very serious compromise is acceptable, you’d need the Provincial ones. Post-1960, they’re about the only rail vehicle, passenger or goods, which would have a rake of wagons of the same type, before block trains!

• Informative 2

3 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Although to be fair, the old Mainline LMS ones aren’t far off …

BF186862-E0A6-4706-A162-AD000C2F049D.jpeg

Not a million miles indeed - though the strapping is very coarse - way overscale, which always puzzled me, as the technology was there for much finer detail well before those ever appeared! In the absence of the Provincial kits, I'd have probably gone for those myself, but the GWR ones that may be had in various kits AND RTR, and various Midland / LMS and BR ones, are too long a wheelbase and body, and design-wise nothing remotely like anything here on any railway.

That one above, painted in CIE livery, would do under the "two-foot rule".

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

"Is he the only passenger today?"

"There's one already on - that railway enthusiast eejit from Dublin with the camera..."

IMG_9568 (2).JPG

----------------------------------------

"Ye hear someone's shot Kennedy! It was on the wireless!"

"What? The auctioneer? PJ's cousin?"

"NO!! The American President! John F!"

IMG_9562 (2).JPG

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 10

“What ye make of it! Only ten days in traffic and they send it down here!”

”It’ll not stay that clean for long, I’ll guarantee you….. and sure 650 will be back when she’s had those firebars replaced. That yoke’s only on trial….”

”Nine passengers on today. Away and get the kettle on - there’s two wagons of timber to unload on the goods when he comes in”.

C9468355-B178-4A24-B6D4-7C8151F94CAF.jpeg

• Like 16

On 20/8/2021 at 11:20 PM, jhb171achill said:

“What ye make of it! Only ten days in traffic and they send it down here!”

”It’ll not stay that clean for long, I’ll guarantee you….. and sure 650 will be back when she’s had those firebars replaced. That yoke’s only on trial….”

”Nine passengers on today. Away and get the kettle on - there’s two wagons of timber to unload on the goods when he comes in”.

C9468355-B178-4A24-B6D4-7C8151F94CAF.jpeg

(A clean!)Grey 121 on green coaches always looked very appealing to me. Looks superb here 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JasonB said:

Unless they're IR/IE orange and black and running in pairs, I haven't much interest. But strangely, I really like this shot. Very nice. 

An earlier era, I suppose!

I wanted to show just how squeaky clean and modern these locos were when new, with a design so totally unlike anything ever seen in Ireland, as well as a bright livery which, even if it would get dirty quickly (and it did!) it would have made such a massive impact, especially when it made its first forays into places still with a lot of steam, like Cork and Waterford.

I need to get backscenes up behind these pics, but the legs of the layout are the wrong length, so I need to await the replacement ones before thinking about affixing anything like that to the wall behind.

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

(A clean!)Grey 121 on green coaches always looked very appealing to me. Looks superb here 

And when these locos were new, ALL coaches were green! (Except the few dirty silver ones remaining).

Black'n'tan was still almost two years away, and more than that before more than a handful of coaches got that new livery.

• Like 1

165 arrives with empty stock to take the Cork fans to the final. Two Cravens appear at Dugort Harbour for the first time, joining a laminate, two Park Royals, and a heating van.

641D794F-9EFE-4E62-B60D-15D3248315FD.jpeg

Meanwhile, 141 awaits departure with the 11:40 goods….

F13D1D69-EC8C-4C7D-B64B-3282A3BDED72.jpeg

4 minutes ago, popeye said:

I see the fog in the background still hasn't lifted. :D

Very foggy place, Dugort Harbour. That’s why there are few people getting on and off the trains….

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, popeye said:

What's the story about the little building on the platform?

The one on the passenger platform is simply a random cardboard kit-built thing from years ago - it is temporary and will be replaced by a small stone building like the one at Westport Quay - or a corrugated one, a la West Cork, or Valentia or Kenmare branch. I haven’t quite decided yet.

The corrugated one on the goods platform is a part-built goods store. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

“Well, I always call it Maryborough. When I joined the Great Southern twenty years ago, it was always Maryborough….”

“Nine passengers on, don’t know why they’ve put a second coach on today….”

B712E487-003A-42C1-8A35-3D28B383574A.jpeg

When on the western island, if I check the time on time.is, I get this as my location - exact, but 90 years out of date...

415806971_Screenshot(36).thumb.png.37f44f3867c563cdbcf4879866548e51.png

I have mentioned it to them, but they don't seem bothered.

• WOW! 1