Dugort Harbour

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

14 hours ago, Angus said:

A question about the C lass livery if I may JHB?

The light green line around the body only appears on some photos of the class. Was it a later addition  added to all the class or were just a few turned out in such a manner with rest plain green? 

Love the steamers though! 

With both the "A"s and "C"s, Angus, some had the light green waistline and some didn't! It's a bit like the "dayglo" reddish-orange patches on the ends of 141s and 071s in the dying days of the "tippex" livery - some had it and some didn't. Same with the yellow patches on the ends of all-black locos in the mid-1960s; some had the yellow on the ends and some didn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Christmas Day means a restricted service, almost as little as a Sunday service.

On Christmas Day, 1965, PJ waves the green flag for the 15:35 departure. Today it’s passenger only - normally it’s a mixed. PJ is due in town after his shift. The kids have opened their presents and there’s a lock-in (if you’re in the know) in Johnny P’s; and there’s turkey left over.

Make sure the signalman gets some, or he’ll get a bit odd - and you know what’ll happen then. (Did you remember the bottles of stout?)

Happy Christmas to all from the strange and parallel world of Dugort Harbour, and we’ll see yiz next year.

1DFE74A1-8D52-46F5-8800-015848F552AC.jpeg

And off he goes. 

5652655E-5794-42F2-A067-423551D0C727.jpeg

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 1

48 minutes ago, JasonB said:

I've always preferred the look of a 141/181 pulling a shorter passenger train. Two cravens and genny always does it for me. 

Nice weathering on B141. Not overdone, just the bogies carrying most of the dirt. 

Another well-executed weathering project by “Dempsey” which I was delighted to get. Yes, the bogies carrying most of it is exactly how I remember them.

In the new year there will be a couple more, plus a pair of 121s and several A class to be DCC’d and weathered.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

In the winter days, darkness comes early. Here, in 1958, 472 shunts a single open wagon and is later pictured as the winter sun sets after the fire has been dropped and the firebox and smokebox cleared out. She'll be lit again at 05:00 on Wednesday for shunting the beet wagons.

IMG_1391 (2).JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

In 1960, the mid-day mixed appears at Dugort Harbour with the branch loco, 650, which shares the duty with a J15 which today is having its boiler washout. 

IMG_1387 (2).JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

A few years later, it's gone all diesel.... here, the branch train is stabled for the night, but all ready for the early mixed tomorrow morning.

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1389 (2).JPG

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 14
  • WOW! 1

“What ya mean your foot’s stuck? I told you not to play up there!!”

CC480633-CF6F-4B39-8C65-CEBA08FC8628.jpeg

The long goodbye.

“Have ye got everything now?”

”Yeah, I’m grand. I’ll write to you from Boston”…..

”G’wan, you’ll miss the train…”

72D123A5-7AAC-479C-BF49-2A91F13BE7AA.jpeg

900DC2C5-AC96-43B2-9B19-AC13065BF369.jpeg

“…..because if we put them in the van HERE, there’s less shunting and the match starts in an hour on the wireless….”

A35902F0-043F-40F3-919E-EA53521E08DA.jpeg

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 8

On 16/1/2022 at 12:55 PM, jhb171achill said:

“What ya mean your foot’s stuck? I told you not to play up there!!”

CC480633-CF6F-4B39-8C65-CEBA08FC8628.jpeg

The long goodbye.

“Have ye got everything now?”

”Yeah, I’m grand. I’ll write to you from Boston”…..

”G’wan, you’ll miss the train…”

72D123A5-7AAC-479C-BF49-2A91F13BE7AA.jpeg

900DC2C5-AC96-43B2-9B19-AC13065BF369.jpeg

“…..because if we put them in the van HERE, there’s less shunting and the match starts in an hour on the wireless….”

A35902F0-043F-40F3-919E-EA53521E08DA.jpeg

The middle pictures ( the long goodbye) sum up a thousand memories for me, (right down to the Morris minor) of Irish working families travelling to and from the old country to earn a living in Britain and beyond in the early 60s...Thanks. John

I know.... I'm a sentimental ole sod....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, patrick said:

Can you tell us about the weathering on the wagons John, they look great.

Many thanks, Patrick. 

Some were done by Kevan McIntosh who made a lot of them up for me. I will ask him what colours he used. Others were done by me, by simply rubbing a random mix of very pale brown and grey weathering powders rubbed into cracks, just as general muck will collect in real life, and then very lightly brushing more (dry) round the chassis, rooftop and lower ends. 

18 minutes ago, Noel said:

Just wonderful scenes. Dugort is looking fabulous. Sublime atmosphere of the times CIE was at its pinnacle.

Many thanks, Noel. More you be done, of course. Still haven’t started buildings, which will be the sort of corrugated-sheet structures seen on lines like Kenmare, Valentia and the west Cork system.

1 hour ago, johnfromoz said:

The middle pictures ( the long goodbye) sum up a thousand memories for me, (right down to the Morris minor) of Irish working families travelling to and from the old country to earn a living in Britain and beyond in the early 60s...Thanks. John

I know.... I'm a sentimental ole sod....

So many, indeed; including relatives of mine too!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John-r said:

This is a really class looking layout Jb, the scenes of a bygone era all telling their own story, just great, thanks for sharing these wonderful images. Also agree A55 does look really well when seen in this setting.

A55 plus the other “A”s will be off for weathering soon - once I pluck up the courage! 

Next stage will be to extend “Dugort” across a river bridge & turf bog area to the “big” station up the line, and beyond that to a fiddle yard. Hoping to get at that within the next few weeks, though as usual, “life” gets in the way!

I believe that the now-preserved C231 was the only one of the class to get the dark green livery. Here, during its turn on the midday down mixed one day in 1959, it is seen alongside a newly painted “A” in the normal lighter green that the vast majority of both classes had.

A60439D9-89D3-48F4-AAEF-3A6D39DA2BFB.jpeg

D6779246-04DF-459A-B5E1-93B49731A116.jpeg

Fast forward to summer 1965 and we catch two 141s paused during shunting on consecutive days…

4D8B35B4-2FE8-42D7-86F9-C52DE97F2DCB.jpeg

B80FDF4E-6200-4E65-837A-F4E5D21BD930.jpeg

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 10

37 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I believe that the now-preserved C231 was the only one of the class to get the dark green livery. Here, during its turn on the midday down mixed one day in 1959, it is seen alongside a newly painted “A” in the normal lighter green that the vast majority of both classes had.

A60439D9-89D3-48F4-AAEF-3A6D39DA2BFB.jpeg

D6779246-04DF-459A-B5E1-93B49731A116.jpeg

Fast forward to summer 1965 and we catch two 141s paused during shunting on consecutive days…

4D8B35B4-2FE8-42D7-86F9-C52DE97F2DCB.jpeg

B80FDF4E-6200-4E65-837A-F4E5D21BD930.jpeg

If IRM were ever to do a C class. Would they do 2 C231’s. One in that green as it is so popular and the other in the “as preserved” ITG greeen 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

If IRM were ever to do a C class. Would they do 2 C231’s. One in that green as it is so popular and the other in the “as preserved” ITG green 

I would presume that if they ever did, they’d cover all ten liveries they had, as they did with the A’s. 

Dugort Harbour has two Cs right now, both Silverfox, one all-black, and the unique C231 dark green one.

£

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I would presume that if they ever did, they’d cover all ten liveries they had, as they did with the A’s. 

Dugort Harbour has two Cs right now, both Silverfox, one all-black, and the unique C231 dark green one.

I also have a Silverfox C but look forward to IRM producing one in the not too distant future.

Stephen

• Like 1

One of the extremely few times a double-headed train ever appears at Dugort Harbour; a mystery train arrives from Cork in summer 1966. Here it is ready to leave, and crossing the Dugort river bridge…..

Now, an issue. The background is (left) a backscene which many of us got free with a Christmas railway mag (can’t recall which). It looks a bit rich - or “tropical” - for the type of location in which “Dugort” is meant to be situated. On the right is bare wall. If anything, this almost suits the thing better, as it looks like a gloomy “about-to-rain” wide western sky. Look at the pic left and right. I want to convey wide, vacant spaces like you get in flat areas of the west, or between my ears after a bottle’o’port, not verdant pastures. With some 50% of the extension to this layout bring on a comparatively narrow shelf, the backscene stuck to the wall behind it - and behind Dugort terminus - will be important to get right.

55F3D80A-8334-44C5-8CD9-7BEE4D1B8DD5.jpeg

6D02C959-6150-4276-9C3A-3EB52FD5249D.jpeg

• Like 7
  • WOW! 1

Continue to enjoy the story telling, which bring the photos to life.

As for backscenes, sometimes 'less is more's and a lot depends on what you want to convey. Portrait and close up photography often uses a large aperture to make the background out of focus, so a plain backscene can do the same, with the eye being drawn to what is in the foreground - which may well be the trains.

A very pale or white sky backscene is very easy to create of course. Vestigial scenery can be painted on, or a decoupage technique could be used by cutting and pasting to add features on a low horizon.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, murrayec said:

Here is a background scene generated from Google Maps for an idea, its 4 screen captures from road view (R304) brought together in photoshop. The scene is looking over Lough Avally looking onto Castle Demesne Hills in the centre;-

1813286771_BacksceneLoughAvallyIRLWest-00.thumb.jpg.2264227c03705191462ff9aa4d90cf0e.jpg

Eoin

That’s exactly the type of thing I want. How do you go about doing that and printing it out?