Dugort Harbour

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

29 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

That’s exactly the type of thing I want. How do you go about doing that and printing it out?

One captures the screen shots in Google Maps and imports them into photoshop, crop them to size and stitch them together into one image like the one shown above.

Size matters! - if one knows what length & height the backscene needs to be it can be sized to fit, this is done in a program like Autocad or Corel Draw. If sizing is not done the image can still be printed at 72dpi on large sheet format and then the back board is made to suit. Pre sizing is a better way of doing it!

The image above is 4 no screen captures, at 72dpi it measures 1600x140mm.

Printing can be done in a print/plotting shop - like Hacketts in Baggot Street. Printing on a roll printer or AO size sheets if possible.

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Like 1
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

That’s exactly the type of thing I want. How do you go about doing that and printing it out?

Screenshots, pushing together, cropping….and then finding a place with a good A3 printer 

Or you could travel to location and take a panoramic picture with your phone (if your phone has that panoramic picture feature)47A4AB06-DEF0-4AEB-B856-B616D2F9A09A.thumb.jpeg.50464a5bca96e8409810b51156c1f715.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Screenshots, pushing together, cropping….and then finding a place with a good A3 printer 

Or you could travel to location and take a panoramic picture with your phone (if your phone has that panoramic picture feature)47A4AB06-DEF0-4AEB-B856-B616D2F9A09A.thumb.jpeg.50464a5bca96e8409810b51156c1f715.jpeg

Suppose I went to a location and did the panoramic thing with my phone. What then, and how long could it be made into? I’ve about a 30ft length to do round 3 walls.

Panoramic photos are best taken on a level tripod with a camera equipped with a 50mm lens- there are better lenses for this work but most would not have them in their camera bag!

Phone lenses can distort the image at the edges, some phones have excellent lenses though. One can assess a phone by taking a few shots of the sea's horizon line to see if it has any distortion.

It can be made to any length if you take enough photographs, one also has to compromise as the full scene that one wants may not be photographed because of obstructions. The best plan is to take shots of several scenes and stitch them together on the layout backboards with the transition in a corner, or have a scenic cover in front- like a tree.....

Eoin

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

22 hours ago, popeye said:

Have a look at ID backscenes, I got a couple and they are great.

I did indeed see those - the top ones look the best for my requirements.

22 hours ago, popeye said:

It strikes me that so many backscenes have clear blue skies! Grey & dull would seem more realistic!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

It strikes me that so many backscenes have clear blue skies! Grey & dull would seem more realistic!

I saw this one some years ago, the photo makes it look much brighter than it was - he had really caught the whole dismal aspect beautifully.

1614396749_Railex15013.thumb.JPG.0d1b9f226773dff193b6924e07196262.JPG

Edited by Broithe
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Noel said:

Absolutely wonderful scenes of Dugort harbour. So nostalgic, so real. Perhaps time to fit the detailing parts especially the horns to B165, lest it run into the bus at a level crossing cause the bus driver never heard the horn. :) 

True - and the “A”s also - need to get them chipped too. Long list of things to do, as always!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skinner75 said:

I love the filled in turntable, and the missing flag stones in the hard standing area! Gives it a nice rundown appearance

Yes it brilliantly achieved its aims of looking like a rural line that was soon to be closed in the early 1960s.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Noel said:

Yes it brilliantly achieved its aims of looking like a rural line that was soon to be closed in the early 1960s.

That's the sort of "back story". I remember calling at small rural stations here and there in the 1960s (and in the 1970s, Loughrea) and just standing looking at the infrastructure, sometimes well kept but sometimes very tatty looking, and just wondering "how long can this place survive?".

Dugort Harbour is indeed intended to look like one of these places where threats of closure have been ongoing for decades. Had it existed in real life, the 1967 closures would certainly have put paid to it.........

• Like 3

3 hours ago, skinner75 said:

I love the filled in turntable, and the missing flag stones in the hard standing area! Gives it a nice rundown appearance

I need to add all sorts of slime and weeds to the missing tiled area - indeed, the whole tiled area - it looks far too pristine! The signal is also irritating - it's been assembled incorrectly with the ladder the wrong side! (not by me!......)

• Like 1

On 23/1/2022 at 4:17 AM, jhb171achill said:

Now, an issue. The background is (left) a backscene which many of us got free with a Christmas railway mag (can’t recall which). It looks a bit rich - or “tropical” - for the type of location in which “Dugort” is meant to be situated. On the right is bare wall. If anything, this almost suits the thing better, as it looks like a gloomy “about-to-rain” wide western sky.

6D02C959-6150-4276-9C3A-3EB52FD5249D.thumb.jpeg.af735c5ec12082f666482e3130c0fddd.jpeg.bea7a3f9dd02e41e522516ed3428ef41.jpeg

Really like the colour on the wall. Works well with the bleak surroundings in my opinion. That's meant as a compliment by the way, Jonathan!  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JasonB said:

6D02C959-6150-4276-9C3A-3EB52FD5249D.thumb.jpeg.af735c5ec12082f666482e3130c0fddd.jpeg.bea7a3f9dd02e41e522516ed3428ef41.jpeg

Really like the colour on the wall. Works well with the bleak surroundings in my opinion. That's meant as a compliment by the way, Jonathan!  

Yes, I know what you mean and agree 100%. It can actually look in some of the pics as a typical Kerry “about to rain” distant sky, maybe viewed across a stretch of barren bogland.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Yes, I know what you mean and agree 100%. It can actually look in some of the pics as a typical Kerry “about to rain” distant sky, maybe viewed across a stretch of barren bogland.

It will always change, depending on the angle of shot, and light in the room at the time. But, there's definitely a dull greyish appearance to it in certain pics. Works really well.  

1 hour ago, JasonB said:

It will always change, depending on the angle of shot, and light in the room at the time. But, there's definitely a dull greyish appearance to it in certain pics. Works really well.  

That’s actually interesting you saying that, Jason. I had been bumbling about with different types of backscenes, but I want to look like some flat boggy and sparsely inhabited stretch in the west, where the sky is usually not predicting that any planned picnic is likely to be a pleasant experience!

One of the earliest pics I posted of it looked just like that, and by sheer coincidence, I might add, rather than any artistic genius on my part. Those recent pics with a backscene from one of the modelling “comics” look ok if it was meant to be in, say, Co Wicklow - but look far too “verdant” for a remote west Cork or Kerry location.

But you’ve got me thinking!!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Nice wagons, JB - why do they look familiar?

I think you may know the maker, Leslie….😉

13 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

By the way, I have two RTR GSWR brake vans for sale, following a cancelled order (see 8588 above).

PM me if interested.

While I’ve two (see above) myself, I say to the wider modelling world, “highly recommended”!

Edited by jhb171achill

4 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Thats a rather nice cattle train JB, makes my six wagons look a bit mundane. But I like very much the GN box van. Is that from the Pettigo Wagon works on Big Island?

Indeed it is; a Provincial favourite - I've kits for several more. Many of these graduated onto CIE in 1958 and were to be seen in traffic as late as circa 1970, along with the very last of the GSR wooden equivalents. Given the lower priority given to the cosmetic aspects of wagons as opposed to carriages or locos, quite a few were still to be seen with "G N" on them into the early 60s, as per the two currently running on the layout. Of the same type of kit which I've still to make up, I think I'll do two with "snails" and one looking a lot more newly painted with a "roundel", as they'd have got after 1963. 

Plus I've more cattle trucks to make up!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It’s 1946, and CIE isn’t a year old. Most carriages are still in GSR livery, a handful still bearing the short-lived brown & cream. Here, our intrepid photographer, Box Brownie* in hand, captures this 1880s GSWR beauty on the Dugort Harbour branch set.

*  Anyone under 50 years old, google “Box Brownie” - and it’s NOT some sort of carry-out from Starbucks.

Recently I got 3 of these old Hornby relics. The wheels are too coarse for code 75 track, but that’s easily remedied. A coat of green paint, a few “snails”, new roof and they’ll do until IRM have a range of Irish wooden-bodied bogies(!)

The brake 3rd version of this coach, (and my other two are that type), if it is  fitted with an arc “flat” roof, a la pre-1903 GSWR stock, actually is close enough to a pair of WLWR brake thirds which managed to last until 1954 & 1955, if memory serves me right. The full third, shown in pic, actually doesn’t look like anything Irish.

Point of note: British lines widely made use of curved-in ENDS on carriages, especially the GWR and Midland Railway - but this feature was entirely  absent from all Irish railway companies, bar a few of the WLWR’s stock.

AB6F1B0F-7093-4143-9A0D-B45D59831419.jpeg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

It’s 1946, and CIE isn’t a year old. Most carriages are still in GSR livery, a handful still bearing the short-lived brown & cream. Here, our intrepid photographer, Box Brownie* in hand, captures this 1880s GSWR beauty on the Dugort Harbour branch set.

*  Anyone under 50 years old, google “Box Brownie” - and it’s NOT some sort of carry-out from Starbucks.

Recently I got 3 of these old Hornby relics. The wheels are too coarse for code 75 track, but that’s easily remedied. A coat of green paint, a few “snails”, new roof and they’ll do until IRM have a range of Irish wooden-bodied bogies(!)

The brake 3rd version of this coach, (and my other two are that type), if it is  fitted with an arc “flat” roof, a la pre-1903 GSWR stock, actually is close enough to a pair of WLWR brake thirds which managed to last until 1954 & 1955, if memory serves me right. The full third, shown in pic, actually doesn’t look like anything Irish.

Point of note: British lines widely made use of curved-in ENDS on carriages, especially the GWR and Midland Railway - but this feature was entirely  absent from all Irish railway companies, bar a few of the WLWR’s stock.

A new roof is an interesting suggestion. I wonder how easily that can be done though 

62B6D861-3A53-4F68-A981-3DB2232CF1B7.thumb.jpeg.3fa229a769da8faa42fcec91d32192f0.jpeg

it might be another job for the 3D Printer although again, would have to be a good printer because cheap ones don’t do curves all to well

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

A new roof is an interesting suggestion. I wonder how easily that can be done though 

62B6D861-3A53-4F68-A981-3DB2232CF1B7.thumb.jpeg.3fa229a769da8faa42fcec91d32192f0.jpeg

it might be another job for the 3D Printer although again, would have to be a good printer because cheap ones don’t do curves all to well

I was going to try to form one out of a sheet of plastic. If it looks OK, I’ll add torpedo vents and leave it at that.

3 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Tri-ang Clerestories have been successfully re-built into GSWR arc roof coaches.

Tim Cramer rebuilt one into a 21mm gauge GSWR 45' arc roof coach in CIE early green livery during the early 1970s, the coach along with Tim's 21mm gauge scratchbuilt models of No90, a Midland and a Bandon Tank were featured in a Railway Modeller article during the early-mid 1970s. The 4mm models were sold through 

The re-build was extensive basically retaining the coach sides and discarding the remainder of the Triang/Hornby body shell, with new plasticard, floor partitions, (vertical) ends and roof to produce a scale width GSWR coach and 21mm gauge bogies.

It should be simple enough to convert one of these coaches to represent the 'Shortie" coaches used on the West Cork by removing a compartment and fitting an arc roof.

• Like 2