Dugort Harbour

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

1965 - Another day, another failed Crossley. B141 cosies up to C201 which has arrived in Dugort Harbour and failed - again. The crew will take her back to Limerick to see what magic they can work on her.

"Any idea what's happened her?"

"No, just can't get power. I'd a similar problem with A20 at Farranfore the other week...."

IMG_E1715.JPG

• Like 11

First thing in the morning a light engine and van appears at Dugort Harbour to work the branch for the day, as the loco shed there was closed in 1931.

This type of practice was to be seen in places like Baltimore and Valentia Harbour.

On a hot sunny summer morning in 1967, it's A12's turn. She's in fine form, just out of Inchicore.

IMG_1730 (2).JPG

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 9
  • WOW! 1

22 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

1965 - Another day, another failed Crossley. B141 cosies up to C201 which has arrived in Dugort Harbour and failed - again. The crew will take her back to Limerick to see what magic they can work on her.

"Any idea what's happened her?"

"No, just can't get power. I'd a similar problem with A20 at Farranfore the other week...."

IMG_E1715.JPG

Live scenes at limerick trying to get 201 going again 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

Bet that start up was really popular with the residents of those houses! Job for a Sunday morning.  😎

.....at 07:00.

".....I've left them in a string bag on the handlebar of your bicycle. The ones in the greaseproof paper are sandwich spread, and the ones in the BROWN paper are for Tommy, with no tomato....you got that?..."

IMG_E1726.JPG

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

It's 1959, and Dugort Harbour is still mostly steam-worked, bar an occasional green or silver "C". J15s rule the roost usually, though there's a 472 class saddle tank and a Midland 2.4.0 which appear also.

Here, 472 rounds the curve with cattle empties. But we have visitors today, as the goods guard notices.

"Here! Mikey! Who's that fool eejit UP the signal post?"

"Ah, don't mind him, he's one o'them train spotters from Dublin. Mad as a bag'o'ferrets. Sure he was MEASURING that old van at the back of the long siding. MEASURING it, I tell ye. With a measuring tape. Jack sez he was up in Castletown taking pictures of the footbridge yesterday. A FOOTBRIDGE! An' writin' stuff down in a notebook...."

IMG_1718 (2).JPG

And a better view of ex-CBSCR No. 472 from the ground, the last of her class and moved from the West Cork system to be the pilot engine at Castletown West.

IMG_1719 (2).JPG

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 8
  • Funny 2

It's a sunny summer day (funny how the weather never changes at Dugort - can someone make seasonally variable backscenes?) in 1965.

The goods appears with C201, a regular on the line, now fixed after the last time.

IMG_1717 (2).JPG

..........and having shunted and done its business, it departs again.

IMG_1716.JPG

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 9
  • WOW! 1

16 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

It's 1959, and Dugort Harbour is still mostly steam-worked, bar an occasional green or silver "C". J15s rule the roost usually, though there's a 472 class saddle tank and a Midland 2.4.0 which appear also.

Here, 472 rounds the curve with cattle empties. But we have visitors today, as the goods guard notices.

"Here! Mikey! Who's that fool eejit UP the signal post?"

"Ah, don't mind him, he's one o'them train spotters from Dublin. Mad as a bag'o'ferrets. Sure he was MEASURING that old van at the back of the long siding. MEASURING it, I tell ye. With a measuring tape. Jack sez he was up in Castletown taking pictures of the footbridge yesterday. A FOOTBRIDGE! An' writin' stuff down in a notebook...."

IMG_1718 (2).JPG

And a better view of ex-CBSCR No. 472 from the ground, the last of her class and moved from the West Cork system to be the pilot engine at Castletown West.

IMG_1719 (2).JPG

Those lads won’t be looking forward to the 1959 enthusiasts special train then…….

1 hour ago, Mike 84C said:

Bet that start up was really popular with the residents of those houses! Job for a Sunday morning.  😎

On one the Brian baker films about the CBSC there is scenes of an AEC railcar pulling out of Bantry. You can see someone’s drying clothes in the back garden against which is against the embankment. He remarks “I bet they rejoiced when steam was replaced!”

• Funny 2

I'd love to get a job lot of little male figures with cameras and plastic "pac-a-mac" coats, to recreate a 1960s IRRS "Outing", as they were quaintly called, or one of those LCGB / SLS tours....! 

..............................................................................................................

"Straight out of Inchicore. Smell the new paint! They reckon they've all the problems fixed now."

"Gimme a hand with these sacks..... oh, and you should stick a shilling on "Mayfly" in the 2:30 at Epsom...."

IMG_E1727 (2).JPG

IMG_E1728.JPG

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 13
  • WOW! 1

1 hour ago, JasonB said:

Nice weathering on the 121, Jonathan. Another, from @Dempsey? 

Very much so! A masterpiece indeed. I sent a photo of a grubby one with the loco to him. As might be expected with a livery like that, especially when their first 18 months or so were in the company of the last steam locos, they got dirty very quickly in real life - I wanted this one to replicate that. The black'n'tan one I have will end up being only very lightly weathered, to suggest it hasn't been in black'n'tan very long.

• Like 3

On 13/2/2022 at 2:26 PM, jhb171achill said:

Fiddling about with photo techniques. This was done to produce a telephoto effect, by taking the picture from about 3ft away and zooming in. It does show, though, that doing a proper backscene attached to the wall is well overdue......

The twice-daily mixed approaches Dugort Harbour.

IMG_1914 (2).JPG

Gorgeous photo, track looks 5'3". Sublime nostalgia to perfection.

• Like 1

"......Look at that, just three vans. We'll be done by lunchtime. Lot easier since yer man bought a lorry for the animal feed....who's driving today?....."

IMG_E2010.JPG

Dugort Harbour lost its passenger service in 1967. Between then and closure in 1975 there was but one goods train a day, and here it is one day in 1968....

IMG_E2011.JPG

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 9
  • WOW! 1

The parallel world of Dugort….

”..........So, he throws the newspaper out of the cab window as he goes over the river, but the KEY was INSIDE it in an envelope to “keep it safe”! WHY the hell would ANYONE do that?”

”It was yesterday’s paper…..”

”Me foot’s getting stuck in the mud….”

"We NEED to find that key.....!"

61239BB9-EA51-431D-8635-1A632CD04E65.jpeg

BE0AEBC6-D9DD-4D90-A003-BE3E8A93C80A.jpeg

661E2A8F-5013-4D54-A4C8-E83AF187CED8.jpeg

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 10
  • Funny 6

With the beet season over now for another year, it’s back to the daily goods in 1969, the passenger service having ceased two years earlier.

Things are pretty quiet today - just one laden van and two empties.

The McKinsey Report looms….

Here, our intrepid photographer captures the scene from a nearby hill, using a telephoto lens. Yes, very modern.

413C6AF7-C4B5-4495-BAED-077CD347276A.jpeg

• Like 16
  • WOW! 2

2 hours ago, JasonB said:

What a great shot of B141 arriving. 

Thank you!  
I’ve been experimenting with angles and daylight -v- artificial light. My attic has overhead spotlights, but unfortunately there are two directly overhead. I’ve found that whatever way the angle of natural light is, just when it’s beginning to get dusk, for some reason the best results are obtained.

Once I’ve everything done I’ll get the “proper” SLR camera, now unused for some years, out of retirement. For now, I’m just curious to what extent acceptable results can be had with a bog standard mobile. One thing I have learned is that it’s best to take pics from a distance and then zoom in.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Looking good thus far JB, especially the low level photos. While I don't take my pictures from any great distance, I have learned that the cropping tool on the laptop is really helpful in creating a well balanced scene.

Yes, that aspect has always interested me. Trial and error has helped me - some of the first ones I took were plain awful, and I wouldn't dare post them! The learning curve continues, but it's high time I stopped messing about with the mobile and got into laying more track!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 13/2/2022 at 2:26 PM, jhb171achill said:

Fiddling about with photo techniques. This was done to produce a telephoto effect, by taking the picture from about 3ft away and zooming in. It does show, though, that doing a proper backscene attached to the wall is well overdue......

The twice-daily mixed approaches Dugort Harbour.

IMG_1914 (2).JPG

That's an awesome photo. I don't use a real camera, just a 'phone, but flipping it upside-down does give some nice low perspective shots.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A quiet spring evening in 1970 at Dugort Harbour. A “transplant” arrives with the last train of the day, straight out of Inchicore. Meanwhile, the normal 141 finishes shunting the extra goods shuttle from “town”, and the several passengers who came in on the local drift off into the night.

A7B420A1-6AE5-4D36-80E0-366413542E18.jpeg

9AF73CD1-296F-4A7A-AA90-D03524DCB451.jpeg

F50E3E54-EA0C-4562-92F4-BF575BD8A70A.jpeg

7EE9777D-3E01-40CB-BF78-598265552725.jpeg

• Like 11