Dugort Harbour

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

Looking good and especially like the concepts, with tracks well spaced out, as per country branches in Ireland. Like the idea of drawing up timetables too - these things all help in developing interest in how the layout can be operated, stock to acquire and so on. From such things, come the all important atmosphere of a layout.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

“….THREE wagons they’ve sent? Sure John Pat O’Sullivan was telling me last night he’ll have ten or twelve beasts himself! We need to telephone for at least two more…..is the telephone fixed?”

E683FB5D-13C8-409B-BEA6-A98201A9731A.jpeg

Love it. Looks the business. 

• Like 2

65E30480-399A-45CB-A039-7AB0C5C3B7CE.thumb.jpeg.f43ea02069683acee8f12280354be2eb.jpeg

It’s 1964.

Every year, the Far North Antrim Pigeon Botherers & Greyhound Worriers Club have an event which involves a special train containing “pigeon men” and their birds, down to West Cork. The birds are released and the club’s passengers have lunch in a local hotel (no alcohol is served). 

Here, we see the returning train with A55 up front. Crossley sludge in your eye if you open the window…. 

Here, there are four full vans of pigeon crates. Not since the All-Ireland has Dugort Harbour seen a five-coach train….

This train never runs on the “Sabbath”, of course.

Inspired by watching pigeons being loaded into CIE “tin vans” in Lisburn, some time in the early 60s…..

The following day, a grimy B141 shunts several wagons to the goods siding after arriving with the mid-day mixed train. A new pair of level crossing gates for the nearest crossing up the line have been delivered. That’s Tim Pat and his damn tractor again. Second gate he’s run into in the last eighteen months.

A0DC5500-3685-4168-8593-B3488F43BE5B.jpeg

03F227ED-D0E7-448E-932C-BE3295623C09.jpeg

2C7750F4-FC0E-43CB-9A6F-5C0F038DA5A1.jpeg

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 14
  • Funny 1

”…..ah, don’t get me wrong, the diesel’s way easier, but I’m too long in the tooth to learn them things. When it goes diesel in February I’m off to England, job in a bakery near me sister’s in Birmingham…. yeah, so this is me last beet season…”

9D85D25A-C878-4930-B0CC-3291B7422AFF.thumb.jpeg.e644209fda67a9a5f0352ea5cc638487.jpeg

8DB872D4-E59E-4F22-9548-37CA1AFA759A.jpeg

A9099AE9-EB1C-4C58-9581-ECDF2299CBAC.jpeg

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 11

58 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Ah so the pulp van went empty to the factory and laden back to the loading bank? I saw several references to it in the latest book Jonathan but I wasn't exactly sure how it worked. 

Yes, the farmers often got beet pulp back as animal feed. Some beet trains I’ve seen pictures of in the 1960s had up to half a dozen vans.

• Like 1

I should also add that weathering was done with the aid of photos of actual examples of the particular class in a typical state. I say typical - this is for the late 1950s / early 60s period - a decade earlier they would have been much cleaner, though rarely pristine. 

In this late stage some were actually a lot worse than above.

All bar the Woolwiches are actually in the grey livery - this shows how very dirty this could get. Of course, the green could also, as could black. As I've often mentioned before, you only have to look at the supposedly cherry red Donegal tanks, or the "sky blue" GNR locos in their last days when cleaners were paid off - many of these were so dirty that the red or blue was literally invisible, at least on parts.

Light grey 121s started life surrounded in places by steam locos, but even after steam had ended, light grey was not the most practical livery to keep clean. Before they were repainted in black'n'tan, some of those got into a very unkempt state too; another weathering job for the future on my grey 121!

Weathering seems best done with photos as reference, judging by the excellent efforts of others here too.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Agree 2

They were put there by Model Rail Baseboards - so I'm not sure exactly what's in them, as they were complete when delivered. They are surfaced, as is the ground, with real sieved earth, which certainly seems to be the most realistic finish I've seen, though it still needs a good bit of finishing in places (and buffer stops are needed!). The platform where the J15s and the Woolwich are pictured is the cattle bank, surfaced with imitation paving stones (as prototypical) marked out. The platform sides are scribed plastic, painted and weathered.

51 minutes ago, GNRi1959 said:

They look great. I went back to Page 2 and found some nice close up pics of the platforms. Very authentic. I normally use Peco but yours have given me the idea that I should be modelling mine from scratch.

Always best option, Tony. Means you can customise width and put in bays etc to your spec. Can use a card or foam board lattice or strip wood to make frame then top with card and face platform with brick/stone card or plastic veneer etc as you choose 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

A question about the C lass livery if I may JHB?

The light green line around the body only appears on some photos of the class. Was it a later addition  added to all the class or were just a few turned out in such a manner with rest plain green? 

Love the steamers though! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Meant to add, all weathering by "Dempsey". Now, how do I pluck up the courage to allow a coat of filthy sludge to cover the silver and green "A"s which I was fortunate enough to get!

I feel your trepidation JB, contemplating getting one of the bright green As but mindful of the many many layers required to ‘dull’ down that green without obliterating it. I guess many ‘mist’ passes with frame dirt and various browns…..

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, johnfromoz said:

I feel your trepidation JB, contemplating getting one of the bright green As but mindful of the many many layers required to ‘dull’ down that green without obliterating it. I guess many ‘mist’ passes with frame dirt and various browns…..

Yes, John, very much so. In the model world, bright colours almost always look toy-like; be they on locos, rolling stock, or scenery even. Hence my trepidation, given the excellence of detail of the models straight out of the  IRM box. However, reality, if wished for, demands silver locos not only to be weathered, but very heavily so!

• Like 3