Dugort Harbour

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

109 takes water before taking the early morning train…. While, five years later, B165 prepares to depart with the same service.

F742096B-7A48-4377-9DE5-BE97D3DDA993.jpeg

FEBD5C22-6CB9-4814-900E-76E902F0FF7C.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

Mighty stuff JB - any video action for us?

I’ll see what I can do! Doesn’t seem to want to download here….

• Like 5

I suspect it’s suiting fabric from the North. This happened on the SLNC. A crew was given such a bale to get across into Eire and hid it in the coal bunker. Someone at Enniskillen saw them do it, and gave Eire Customs a tip off - the white capped inspectors moved purposefully towards the loco at the Glenfarne customs stop. The crew quickly disposed of the hundreds of pounds worth of material in the firebox…

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

9 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

I suspect it’s suiting fabric from the North. This happened on the SLNC. A crew was given such a bale to get across into Eire and hid it in the coal bunker. Someone at Enniskillen saw them do it, and gave Eire Customs a tip off - the white capped inspectors moved purposefully towards the loco at the Glenfarne customs stop. The crew quickly disposed of the hundreds of pounds worth of material in the firebox…

Which is exactly why the guard has it in the Guard's van. He will put his packet of egg sandwiches in greaseproof paper on top of it, so those white-hatted busybodies won't go near it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David Holman said:

B165 returning light engine is one of my favourites. It really captures the evening gloom.

The whole idea of how to take effective pics of layouts is beginning to interest me. I took that one in genuine dusk light, with the lights off in the room.

I’m studying the way layouts are portrayed in the “comics”; what sort of lighting, angles and so on that people use. Much to learn, as I await the track for the rest of the layout…

• Like 2

One of the best accessories for controlling light for photography are reflectors & diffusers, which are not to expensive, there is a range but one white reflector & diffuser can be a great assistance to control those hard shadows and soften the intensity of the room lights......

Amazon.com : Neewer 11.8 inches/30 Centimeters Portable 5-in-1 Reflector  Kit, Translucent, Silver, Gold, White, and Black Multi Disc Light Reflector  for Studio or Any Photography Situation : Camera & Photo

Eoin

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, murrayec said:

One of the best accessories for controlling light for photography are reflectors & diffusers, which are not to expensive, there is a range but one white reflector & diffuser can be a great assistance to control those hard shadows and soften the intensity of the room lights......

Amazon.com : Neewer 11.8 inches/30 Centimeters Portable 5-in-1 Reflector  Kit, Translucent, Silver, Gold, White, and Black Multi Disc Light Reflector  for Studio or Any Photography Situation : Camera & Photo

Eoin

Might get out the "proper" camera and dust it down - thirty years ago, photography was a separate hobby of mine, but just about every picture I've taken in the last ten years has been with a mobile phone! This includes all of the above......

• Like 1

14 hours ago, David Holman said:

B165 returning light engine is one of my favourites. It really captures the evening gloom.

The whole idea of how to take effective pics of layouts is beginning to interest me. I took that one in genuine dusk light, with the lights off in the room.

I’m studying the way layouts are portrayed in the “comics”; what sort of lighting, angles and so on that people use. Much to learn, as I await the track for the rest of the layout…

Tried to load a 28 second video clip, but it won't play ball. Any way of doing this without putting it all up on youtube?

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Might get out the "proper" camera and dust it down - thirty years ago, photography was a separate hobby of mine, but just about every picture I've taken in the last ten years has been with a mobile phone! This includes all of the above......

Ye gods, what is the world coming to? Time was, one use a camera to take pictures, nowadays a phone is pretty much all you need to do anything!

Truth is, it's amazing what can be done. My first digital camera did everything my previous SLR could do and more. The Nikon Coolpix I use for model photos on this forum cost me fifty quid, yet has 12 mega pixels and does video. Shouldn't be allowed, especially as it can store over a thousand lower resolution pictures on a memory card the size of a postage stamp. Where does it keep it all???

Keep having fun JB, will look forward to seeing what transpires.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Terrific stuff, JB. First time I've seen my ex-GSWR 10 ton brake actually on a line. "Yer Man" has done a nice job building it.

"Every home should have one" (well, every back of beyond CIE branch line, anyway).

That's another Fiver I owe you .........

I have two of them, Leslie. One has a more "pristine" livery, as if it's a rare example of a wagon newly repainted in the late 50's, but it's just posed in that pic as it has no couplings yet. The other has, and has been weathered a bit. I'll eventually weather it even more.

I'm well pleased with the Provincial "H" vans, cattle trucks and Bullied opens! I must have several dozen between them....

Edited by jhb171achill

On 2/8/2021 at 6:08 PM, leslie10646 said:

My dear JB, you're one of my favourite people, as yu have at least two dozen of my wagon kits built or building!

I think I've more stuffed away, Leslie - I've a H van and two of your older whitemetal vans half-built at the moment......

Do you have any more, incidentally, of the shorter wheelbase wooden-planked GNR vans? If so, I'll take another - ping me if so!

Following a very pleasant evening with several of the North Dublin Sunday Club (you know who you are), I had a loan of a J15. I've two of these 00 Works ones myself but they have yet to turn a wheel as they're not DCC'd yet. Therefore, I had not actually seen an 00 Works one running yet. They're every bit as sensitive at low speeds and realistic as Murphy locos - very impressed indeed.

So, jumping into the time machine (steam-powered, of course), we head back to West Kerry in 1963......

195 shunts wagons at Dugort Harbour for the last time; in ten days' time she'll be withdrawn for good, one of the very last steam locos in use. 

IMG_9397 (2).JPG

• WOW! 3

Steam's grand finale at Dugort, early 1963. G2 No. 650 takes a breather on the mixed train and 195 is in with a goods train.

IMG_9397.JPG

IMG_9398 (2).JPG

IMG_9398.JPG

IMG_9399 (2).JPG

IMG_9399.JPG

Three steam locomotives at Dugort Harbour, a sight only seen on Fair Day in summer. It's August 1958, and things are still quite busy - for the time being.

IMG_9400 (2).JPG

IMG_9401 (2).JPG

(Well, it WOULD be August 1958 if I had moved B165 and black'n'tan stock in the background)....

• Like 5
  • WOW! 3

"You're having your BREAK? Get that stuff loaded in the van NOW or I'll tell PJ where you're hiding!"

IMG_9420 (2).JPG

H C Casserley arrives at Dugort to take photographs of the last steam engine at Dugort Harbour, the same day a week-old B141 arrives on a trial run.

"I feel a right eejit holding this flag up - have ye not got your picture now?"

"Not every day we've the last steam engine and the first diesel into Dugort! Stand still..."

"Paddy, would you ever get off your behind and move that trolley, it's in the picture".....

IMG_9414 (3).JPG

IMG_9415 (2).JPG

• Like 8
  • WOW! 2

13 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

"You're having your BREAK? Get that stuff loaded in the van NOW or I'll tell PJ where you're hiding!"

IMG_9420 (2).JPG

H C Casserley arrives at Dugort to take photographs of the last steam engine at Dugort Harbour, the same day a week-old B141 arrives on a trial run.

"I feel a right eejit holding this flag up - have ye not got your picture now?"

"Not every day we've the last steam engine and the first diesel into Dugort! Stand still..."

"Paddy, would you ever get off your behind and move that trolley, it's in the picture".....

IMG_9414 (3).JPG

IMG_9415 (2).JPG

Amazing photo's. Is 195 RTR or a Kit?

2 minutes ago, Midland Man said:

Amazing photo's. Is 195 RTR or a Kit?

It's one of Roderick Bruce's truly excellent 00 Works ready-to-run locos. Very smooth running. I think they're all sold out now - he may have one or two, but I'd get in touch yesterday if you're interested!

195 is on loan to me - I have 162 and 109, but neither have DCC chips in them just yet, so I can't run them. They also need to be weathered within an inch of their lives!

"No, move the trolley FURTHER away. Yer man Casserley has come all the way from England for these photographs......"

IMG_9413 (3).JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

That’s looking really good. Loads of atmosphere even without the exiguous buildings. Shouldn’t that distant be fixed at danger though ?;) 

Now don't be upsetting a man who's clearly been enjoying himself. The distant appears to be for trains leaving the terminus, so it must be a gate distant, like the one just off the platform at Rosslare Strand heading for Waterford. Gate distants worked off the gate heels would be off in both directions. Gatekeeper just a bit slow closing the gates after the arriving train.

• Like 2