Rate this topic

Kirley

42' Flat Bogie Wagons

I've been itching to open Weshty's 42' Flat Kit and make a start.

At last I've worked my way through my projects and it is time to give them a go.

IMG_3870.JPG

I decided to solder rather than use glue and as you can see some finesse in my technique is still required but they are now SOLID structures. The benefit is you don't have wait until the glue sets.

IMG_3872.JPG

Again I would praise Glenderg's excellent guide but would recommend you cross reference it with SSM instructions. If you want you use the 42' Flat as a working model these sections must be removed to allow the bogies to swivel. Also I found the tabs you fold down to attach the solebars very useful.

IMG_3881.JPG

Just finished my build of JM Design Coach Kits. I built a Buffet and two Corridor Standards and must express my praise for the quality of these kits.

I have built MIR, Comet and Worsley Works kits and I would put the detail on John’s kits ahead of these. John suggested use extra bits to add more detail on the roof, buffers, door and grab handles so I followed his advice.

When I went to paint the coaches I found the door and grab handles were in the way of the masking tape. Out they came and unfortunately quite a few of them disappeared into the ether. That’s why some are missing until I get replacements otherwise the build is completed.

Buffet Car

IMG_3883x.jpg

IMG_3884x.jpg

IMG_3886.JPG

IMG_3888x.jpg

Corridor Standard Coaches.

IMG_3891x.jpg

IMG_3892.JPG

IMG_3894x.jpg

IMG_3897.JPG

IMG_3901x.jpg

IMG_3902x.jpg

IMG_3905x.jpg

I did a very short video of the coaches in action which can be seen on my Kirley Junction Layout Thread.

P1020383.JPG

WOW!!!!!! Those are superb. Details, colours etc just spot on, brings back very early memories of seeing green streak past me when I was taken to Kildare station by Senior.....

I remember seeing one train swish past, but the last (of maybe 10) coaches was in a strange orange and black livery.

Senior remarked to the signalman* "Is that the new livery?"

Cue the signalman "yeah... ye'd think we'd seen the last o'the black'n'tans..."

Thus was born the real name of that livery; the official description of it as "golden brown" and black being a bit odd......

* senior knew that signalman well.... and guess what: it was possible for a small child, his parent and the signalman to be in a signalbox without day-glo clothes visible the far side the world, PTS, health and safety courses about the correct and safe ways to open a door, lunch box or newspaper, and the correct way to put your socks on, thus avoiding strangulation.

We live in strange days. No green, no black'n'tan. Let's go to Downpatrick.

With that off me chest, a very Happy Christmas to all IRM-ers.

Finished building my 42' Flats, two parts of the build I found difficult was the attaching of the Vacuum Cylinders, there was very little surface to stick to the frame of the wagon and it took a number of attempts to get there. The other bit was the lugs, there are 42 to each wagon. It was the filing the burs off the small etched parts, you have burs on 3 sides, that was so tedious so after doing 126 I was losing the will to live.

I was anxious to see how they would run as in my experience flat wagons can be very unstable. The test area would be a part of the track that reverse curves over points.

IMG_1430.JPG

Failed on first go, the wagons jumped the tracks.

IMG_1432x.jpg

I tried them with containers and they ran well on the straight but did not like the curves.

IMG_1435.JPG

I had used Richie's method of attaching the couplings and did not realise that they do not snap home in the 'pockets' so some came loose. I'll glue them and that should sort that problem. The bogies are attached to the wagon with a screw and nut but one of the nuts came off.

So some fine tuning is required but the first Christmas 'invasion' arrives tomorrow so modelling will have to be curtailed.

Got the decals on. The Overhaul Codes on the decal sheet were letters above and numbers below but there was not enough room on the solebar so I separated them and placed them side by side, I hope this is right?

IMG_1447.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

I forgot they were Weshty's decals and put Hombrol varnish on to seal them and some

disappeared.

IMG_1449.JPG

Still having running problems with the wagons, probably my building as no one else who has made them has raised this issue. I'll have to keep tweaking.

IMG_1450.JPG

A bit of constructive criticism Kieran. I would say looking at your photos of your wagons you have used way to much heat in the same place for to long when soldering your wagon chassis. There for you have bent all the chassis. Very easy to see in your pictures when you place a container on them. Unfortunately bent chassis will give you very bad running. It might be best to us Glendergs method of gluing them until you improve your soldering skills. :)

A bit of constructive criticism Kieran. I would say looking at your photos of your wagons you have used way to much heat in the same place for to long when soldering your wagon chassis. There for you have bent all the chassis. Very easy to see in your pictures when you place a container on them. Unfortunately bent chassis will give you very bad running. It might be best to us Glendergs method of gluing them until you improve your soldering skills. :)

Thanks Anthony but the chassis are level, it's the vacuum cylinders on some wagons are sitting to high, above the wagon floor level, causing the containers not to sit flat.

Thanks Anthony but the chassis are level, it's the vacuum cylinders on some wagons are sitting to high, above the wagon floor level, causing the containers not to sit flat.

In the picture below Kieran it looks bent to me. The next time you call down bring them with you and I will have a look at them for you

IMG_1449.jpg

A review of my Projects for 2014

January

NIR Parcel Van

Lorries

Re-Motoring A & C Class Locos

A & C Class Build

February

Clonmel Station buildings

March

Lima/Murphy 201 Repaint and Class 66 Chassis added.

April

Bubbles

MIR Fertiliser Wagon

Loads for Beet Wagons

Class 80 3 Car Set

Class 80 Intermediate coach

May

MPD build (8)

MIR 4 Wheel Wagon

July

MIR 42' Flats

MIR Bogie Cement Wagons

September

UTA North Atlantic Diner Coach

October

NIR Ballast Wagon

Hornby Freightliners to 42' Flats

Plough Van

November

Ballast Wagon, scratch build.

Weed Spraying Coach

UTA Spoil Wagons

IE Spoil Wagons Scratch build

Bredin Coaches (3)

Lima/Murphy 201 - Class 66 Chassis added and SSM detail to 208 & 209

CAF 4000

SSM 42' Flats

December

UTA Brown Vans

2014%20Projects%20Review.jpg

This will be the last posting on this thread, for those who looked over the past years and took the time to make favourable comments, many thanks, they were very much appreciated.

A review of my Projects for 2014

January

NIR Parcel Van

Lorries

Re-Motoring A & C Class Locos

A & C Class Build

February

Clonmel Station buildings

March

Lima/Murphy 201 Repaint and Class 66 Chassis added.

April

Bubbles

MIR Fertiliser Wagon

Loads for Beet Wagons

Class 80 3 Car Set

Class 80 Intermediate coach

May

MPD build (8)

MIR 4 Wheel Wagon

July

MIR 42' Flats

MIR Bogie Cement Wagons

September

UTA North Atlantic Diner Coach

October

NIR Ballast Wagon

Hornby Freightliners to 42' Flats

Plough Van

November

Ballast Wagon, scratch build.

Weed Spraying Coach

UTA Spoil Wagons

IE Spoil Wagons Scratch build

Bredin Coaches (3)

Lima/Murphy 201 - Class 66 Chassis added and SSM detail to 208 & 209

CAF 4000

SSM 42' Flats

December

UTA Brown Vans

2014%20Projects%20Review.jpg

This will be the last posting on this thread, for those who looked over the past years and took the time to make favourable comments, many thanks, they were very much appreciated.

That's a hell of a lot of quality work Kieran.

I hope you are not giving up on your thread.

Great work with the brown vans Kieran,like the added extra with the sliding doors.Remember,some of the brown vans got painted into both UTA green and NIR maroon during their lifespan.

A superb thread with all what you have done over the last year,all modelled to a very good standard,look forward to 2015s Kirley's projects.