Goods Yard

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

Just easing myself back into doing something after many weeks 'out of the shed'. This is the Goods Yard store in Omagh. I have taken several pictures that I took back in 1987 when it was still standing and imported them into AutoCad. I then scaled it using several reference points and produced cad drawings. This is built in 6mm birch ply with some redwood to give it strength and durability. I have to form openings in several walls for locos and goods to enter, which is why it is taped together for now. Its footprint is 900mm long, at its longest point. Progress today, at last.

20190308_134145.jpg

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 5
  • WOW! 1

Thanks. A great big Altendorf Panel Saw.

Though some of the smaller pieces I done with extra fine Japanese pull-saws. The bevelled edges were done with hand held block plane.

If you have no access to machinery, the Japanese saws are perfect!

Edited by GNRi1959

Some minor tweaking of the gables at the goods store and addition of roof purlibs to support the roof.

Part of the pleasure of this build is the fact that there are still several shunters and goods porters living who are able to help with the detail that photographs didn't capture.

20190311_173318.jpg

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 2

Good question Stephen.

The plan is to build a working model of the entire Goods Yard. You may think it strange that I work on the building first and not the track work but I want to see how the footprint fits into available space and lay track once I know how everything sits. So far, it is looking very promising. I may be able to work the project in two sections with a max board width of around 600mm-700mm. I am working between the original GNR(i) engineers drawings from 1930s and dozens of photographs which show the various alterations to the original track laying. Its interesting to see that in latter years a diamond crossing at the cattle siding disappeared and a Y point emerging out of the goods store was removed and replace with a single line of track. I want to capture everything, as it was. Thanks.

Just spent a few hours with my old friend Joe McGrew and shunter at Omagh who was able to verify the development of my Good Store building to date. He was able to give me a rundown of the various sidings that occupied the store, the platforms, the goods that arrived and the personnel who worked there.

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 1

You could try the scribed DAS clay method. Tedious, but gets you round corners and means there are no joints between sheets. Equally, DAS will do that with Slater's or Wills anyway.

Painting can be acrylics or enamels. A couple of washes to start off with, then picking out individual stones in a range of greys. 

Started to slow task of cutting out roof lights with my scroll saw, front roof complete and have to cut rear roof section. I'm considering the Slaters Embossed plasticard because I can conceal the corners with Wills Quoins. It also makes it easier to use brick arches also by Wills. The modelling clay is probably a great idea but not in 4mm.

Had to move one of the roof purlins and reposition the roof covering to bring the lower sky lights further up the roof slope. I added pitched gables  to the rear wall where the roof of the UTA garage was situated. This will become a low-relief wall to hide my controller and switches. The project is starting to really form the basis for a great model.

20190318_161835.jpg

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, GNRi1959 said:

Started to slow task of cutting out roof lights with my scroll saw, front roof complete and have to cut rear roof section. I'm considering the Slaters Embossed plasticard because I can conceal the corners with Wills Quoins. It also makes it easier to use brick arches also by Wills. The modelling clay is probably a great idea but not in 4mm.

Had to move one of the roof purlins and reposition the roof covering to bring the lower sky lights further up the roof slope. I added pitched gables  to the rear wall where the roof of the UTA garage was situated. This will become a low-relief wall to hide my controller and switches. The project is starting to really form the basis for a great model.

20190318_161835.jpg

Any particular reason why you feel clay wouldn't work in 4mm Tony? I've recently began dabbling out of curiosity after watching what David has produced when using it. 

Whether used on its own, with sheets, or applying to existing buildings. I've found the finish very impressive in the short space of time I've spent modelling with it. And it's been all 4mm by the way.  

Jason, I really didn't mean it, the way it came out. Of course it would work but this building is really big, and this would involve a lot of scribing. I don't know if I would have the patience and certainly not the eyesight at close quarter. I might just order some and try a bit on scrap ply.

PS. Just ordered some to try

Edited by GNRi1959

the brickwork on window suggests, window is an after thought,

no cill may mean the upper window was made well after building was 1st built

the bricks on the arch look older, and wouldhave been used to form arches

and key stone V brick piller dont match, so it was added much later, when the rest was knocked.

the stone mason was Joe Brady and his sister like raw onion sangers on rye, with home made pickle.