Goods Yard

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

Looks good to me Tony, that colour you've applied has definitely added to the appearance. Personally I think if you're happy with that, then move on. Otherwise you can find yourself going around in circles. We've all been there. 

Track laid today and wired temporarily. It is a very simple shunting line that resembles Omagh after a lot of post 1957 changes when a double crossing was lifted at the cattle dock and Point removed exiting the store.

20190520_064547.jpg

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 2

On 5/16/2019 at 6:12 PM, GNRi1959 said:

I haven't seen a yard crane like this one on rubber tyres so maybe I'll have to scratchbuilt using parts from other products.....

20190516_071012.jpg

It looks like a Coles crane often used in larger railway good yards in the 50s & 60s. 

Image result for coles 6 ton mobile crane

CIE Coles cranes seen to have been standard yellow, though GNR & UTA may have painted theirs in company colours.

Corgi produced a 1:76 diecast model that seems to come up on e-bay or the second hand market  https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Corgi-Trac

kside-DG226001-OO-Scale-Coles-Argus-6-Ton-Crane-British-Rail/1321328048

• Informative 1

As a kid I happen to have visited the Midland Yard North Wall a few times (circa 1960), and remember a mobile crane similar to this but I don't think it was a vivid colour such as yellow, grey is the image in my head,  but maybe it was just very grimy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ironroad said:

As a kid I happen to have visited the Midland Yard North Wall a few times (circa 1960), and remember a mobile crane similar to this but I don't think it was a vivid colour such as yellow, grey is the image in my head,  but maybe it was just very grimy.

We had one where I worked, it was yellow, but not quite as bright as the picture above implies. There was a generally accepted "crane yellow" that was applied to lifting machines of all types.

The driver, Tommy Long, had a real 'feel' for his various machines and could move items that were way over the officially allowable weight. He would often move things by quickly raising them a foot or so, turning and putting them down quickly, a yard or two away, and repeating - with the overload bell clattering and the rear wheels just lifting.

I often saw daylight under the wheels, but he never had an incident of over-ambition...

8 hours ago, Mayner said:

It looks like a Coles crane often used in larger railway good yards in the 50s & 60s. 

CIE Coles cranes seen to have been standard yellow, though GNR & UTA may have painted theirs in company colours.

Corgi produced a 1:76 diecast model that seems to come up on e-bay or the second hand market  https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Corgi-Trac

John, Thank you so much for your help in finding one of these cranes. At least I know what I'm looking for.

3 hours ago, Ironroad said:

There was a yellow one stored out of use for many years at the town end of Mullingar Goods yard.

Trackwork in the yard has a nice, spacious look to it. Plenty of room for a motorised, fully working, radio controlled crane then (!)...

Giles Flavell has mastered the technique in 7mm scale and there were half a dozen of his models wandering around the Tonbridge Club's layout The Yard, at Littlehampton on Saturday. Included a Commer van, Land rover, flatbed and articulated lorries, plus a working gantry crane. Different matter in 4mm scale methinks, but check out the latest Model Railway Journal for a couple of his models.

On 5/22/2019 at 11:58 AM, Mayner said:

My recollections of those cranes are few, but yellow seemed to be standard. Not because yellow was the standard “safety” colour, as nowadays, but because (like JCB) it was the manufacturer’s own livery. 

I saw a red one regularly when l was a child but it wasn’t railway owned.

I’m pretty sure that CIE or the UTA never painted them in their own colours, though a logo might have been possible.

Edited by jhb171achill

Embankments cut - will place high density foam (Kingspan type) and form embankments after wiring. Avoiding paris plaster this time. Also managed to pick up nice Coles Yard Crane on eBay to complete the scene in yard. Flat bed lorries and crane will look well.

20190523_062132.jpg

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 3

This week's progress.....

Took delivery of Coles yard crane

Fitted guttering and downpipes by Dornaplas

Fitted brass pattern makers dowels to baseboards joints

Glued copperclad sleepers in position with Araldite rapid

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 3

One of the most difficult thing about railway modelling has to be achieving a nice clean, neat soldered track joint. Having just soldered my track to copperclad sleepers and cut the track, although a sound solder joint, it is brute ugly!