Goods Yard

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

Today I lifted the copperclad strips that were terrible and relayed the sections again. This time I arranged all my track joints over the baseboard joints with fish plates. I will go ahead with the wiring and check running and the lay ballast once tests are successful over several weeks

• Like 1

Straight joints are easy enough, but as you've found, angled ones pose problems. One way around it is to solder the rails to screws, then add cosmetic sleepers in and around them. The main thing though is how nice and flush/tight the baseboard joins are and that is not easy either!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Omagh Goods Yard has been transformed into a diorama measuring 1.5m x 700mm and will become an exhibition piece and with some luck become a permanent display in town, maybe going my previous model of Omagh GNRi station built in 1992.

I've decided to go this way due to space restrictions mainly though all track is live and will be operation, if only across its 1.5m length.

I will start landscaping and finishing this project which has been a real pleasure to build. 

20190614_070935.jpg

20190614_070921.jpg

20190614_070911.jpg

• Like 7
  • WOW! 1

David, as much as I like the idea of a fiddle yard, this baseboard will have no add-ons, just an exhibition piece. I'm bringing this project to an end. I started modelling again in December 2016 and I think I need a well earned break.

Edited by GNRi1959

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, GNRi1959 said:

Managed to pick up a suitable railing, have walls and pillars in place. Slow but steady pace

1 hour ago, GNRi1959 said:

Started some ballast this afternoon,  amazing how it changes the look.

Any photo's of the recent progress Tony?  

A few photos of Omagh after ballast, not totally dry yet but getting there. I've used Woodland Scenics cinders and I hope its ok. Next task will be ground surfaces between the sidings and in around the yard.

20190728_121940.jpg

20190728_121928.jpg

20190728_121918.jpg

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 4

Good stuff, Tony - as ever!

I also use Woodlands cinder ballast, the fine grade - even in 7mm. However, it can look a bit dark, so I dust it with talc [as well as other weathering colours, as appropriate]. Wait till the glue has throughly dried though, or when you vacuum it off, most of the ballast will come with it.