Goods Yard

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

The sky adds a new dimension, as will ground cover (track and trains even!). Also worth considering even presentation, because it deserves a wider audience, so proper 'proscenium arch' type framing, as per Iain Rice, plus lighting, well worth while considering, eventually?

David, I'm looking into having an authentic backscene photographed and printed. I'm sure its possible. The Omagh skyline in this area has not really changed at this location. I just need to check out who can print it. As for the 'proscenium arch' and lighting, they will be last on my list 'to do'.

Tony,

The detail is excellent, but don't treat it on a panel by panel basis.  The roof would have weathered homogeneously with subtle differences at the sheet lines. 

This is looking good keep going!

Ken 

6 hours ago, KMCE said:

Tony,

The detail is excellent, but don't treat it on a panel by panel basis.  The roof would have weathered homogeneously with subtle differences at the sheet lines. 

This is looking good keep going!

Ken 

I think that is the problem, using a small artists brush on a 'panel by panel's basis has restricted the natural colour effect. I'll go to the paint store and pick up a larger brush (a painter's 'fitch is what I need)

3c43e15e-1dbc-49c9-806b-cb3d652681a3.jpg

22 minutes ago, popeye said:

What colours are you using on the roof.

The roof in the background looks good, how about doing it like that?

I think popeye means colour not materials

Take a look here for some colouring samples;-

https://www.google.com/search?q=asbestos+roof&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=firefox-b-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZl9XU44ziAhW8VBUIHS5hCtwQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1280&bih=891

20 hours ago, murrayec said:

Yes indeed, slate and asbestos are two different colours.

I got this colour today which is very close to what I'm after. It is a cement/concrete colour and this is a first coat, without weathering.....

20190509_163359.jpg

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 3

The colour and your weathering approach on the lean-too office roof and on the loading bay canopy would do it for me.  Are they asbestos?  In particular the weathering from ridge line to eaves, a continuous stroke across the different asbestos sheets.  A great piece of modelling.

Pict1.jpg

Dart8118, Thanks for that, including the picture. There are several challenges with this roof, compared to the smaller lean-to.

The vast area, combined with skylights make it difficult to maintain a consistent acceptable finish. Finally, I am so critical of my work that if i don't feel that it is right, it won't be.

Edited by GNRi1959

Weathered asbestos in 2019 shouldn't be too different to any period in the last 100 years, apart from being a bit less sooty probably. I am often tempted to paint what I think, but then my art teacher's words immediately come back to 'paint what you see' and out come photos, Google pics etc.

Dart's picture suggests to me a combination of stippling darker tones on the concrete basecoat, but also using paper towel and thinners to wipe away some areas. Using enamels, this can be done up to 24 hours after the paint has been applied, though wait up to 48 hours for the base coat to harden before adding the darker top coat.

Weathering powders and talc help add texture too. When you think a roof like this weathered over many years, it means painting and weathering time on the model will be an extended process too. Worth it though, because it is such a fine model and the roof inevitably stands out because it is such a large part of it.

Very informative comments there David. I've given it another coat with some shading of darker greys. Nothing too strong. I think I will leave it alone for a while and move on to other things, this will give me time to see how it looks as the drying paint dulls down.

20190510_142144.jpg

20190510_142157.jpg

Edited by GNRi1959

The colour in the first photo of these four looks perfect to me.  The profile curvature of the sheets is emphasised and there is a 'grey' balance in the whole model.  I'd be thinking of a light dusting of soot now over everything.  Don't overdo it.  It looks great.