Goods Yard

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Looks great, Tony!

Thanks, I was pleased with the appearance despite its very random application.

5 hours ago, Broithe said:

Nice!

The lichen does often seems to favour particular stones over the others.

Indeed, that I have noticed 

45 minutes ago, popeye said:

Here is a picture that shows all the colours in a stone wall that should be close to what you want.

study it closely, the more you look the more you see. good luck, you have a lot to do.

Stone 4.jpg

Below is the actual stone wall, still standing in Omagh.

20190424_214915.jpg

• Like 2

As JB says, it is the randomness that it is all about. That and being bold, but not too bold, with some fairly bright colours to capture the lichen. One thing to remember is to paint under the same lighting as you are going to display the model. Flourescent v spotlights v LEDs all have noticeably different effects.

Super work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Holman said:

........... with some fairly bright colours to capture the lichen. One thing to remember is to paint under the same lighting as you are going to display the model. Flourescent v spotlights v LEDs all have noticeably different effects.

A very good tip for us all, especially given the extremely high standard of the scenic work of Fintonagh and Arigna Road.

11 hours ago, David Holman said:

As JB says, it is the randomness that it is all about. That and being bold, but not too bold, with some fairly bright colours to capture the lichen. One thing to remember is to paint under the same lighting as you are going to display the model. Flourescent v spotlights v LEDs all have noticeably different effects.

Super work.

Thanks everyone, I presume the lichen is painted in rather than the coloured sponge equivalent?

More below....

20190426_151940.jpg

Edited by GNRi1959
  • WOW! 1

17 minutes ago, Mayner said:

The shed looks really impressive Tony, your determination to persevere with Omagh is seems to be paying off.

Thanks John, this project has been on my mind for most of 20 years. I'm so luck that Omagh still has a few remaining GNRi men in town and their input and detail has helped immensely 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DART8118 said:

Have enjoyed following the progress of your model and your modelling skills and techniques.  Great model - Great Job.

Dart8118, thank you - appreciate your interest. Quite a lot of what you see in the pictures above is random, observed and vision.

13 hours ago, Mayner said:

The shed looks really impressive Tony, your determination to persevere with Omagh is seems to be paying off.

Any ideas on colours I can use for the asbestos roof sheeting, normally a light grey - any help?

Patrick, Thanks for your warm comments. I'm starting to get into the painting of these walls, it is random but takes a bit of time and thought.

As for the roof, this is just a light coat of Halfords grey primer. I'm still looking for a spray paint that is close to asbestos.

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 1

Difficult stuff to find these days, but the alternative corrugated cement, I think, should still be around. 

Martyn Welch's weathering book suggests treating asbestos like cement. Hence mix Humbrol 110 with 95 concrete and apply with a little stippled in talc for extra texture. When dry, stain by mixing a watery tarmac or slate, or just dirty thinners and let this run down the channeling. After dry brush darker and lighter shades of the grey/brown mix across the ridges.

Try weathering powders for yellow/orange lichen, but as ever, keep it subtle. A final dusting of talc always helps to tone things down.

The Art of Weathering is the bible for all things colour related! ISBN 1 874103119

Thanks David, some sound advice there. I've tried looking and actual photographs and tried painting as close to what I see but I am building up some sort of colour combinations that look pleasing to the eye. This morning I started on the back retaining wall which housed the UTA depot behind.

20190428_085751.jpg

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 2

For corrugated asbestos Iain Rices Plastic Structure Kits Making the Most of the Wills Scenic Series. Iain recommended wet brushing with a pale bluff colour then dusting with talc before the paint dries. 

This probably helps capture the chalky look of a newish asbestos roof before it discolours and darkens with moss and algae growth.

I spayed the Wills asbestos sheets on the walls on my corrugated goods shed on my narrow gauge layout with grey auto primer & it seems to look the part.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1

Have always used photocopier paper, cut into strips, then snipped for separate slates, works well. Slates are very thin, so paper is enough even in 7mm scale. A couple of coats of slate/tarmac enamel paint gives a good covering, with a few individual ones picked out in lighter/darker shades for variety.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Have always used photocopier paper, cut into strips, then snipped for separate slates, works well. Slates are very thin, so paper is enough even in 7mm scale. A couple of coats of slate/tarmac enamel paint gives a good covering, with a few individual ones picked out in lighter/darker shades for variety.

And individual slates give you just that little bit of realistic unevenness.

Of all the stuff that Slaters produce, you might have thought that their slates would be better....

• Funny 1

Goods Store office secured in place, lead flashing complete and awaiting chimney pot!

Incidently, the last Chief Clerk in this office, Paddy McAloon was my next door neighbour until he passed away a few years back.

20190503_160614.jpg

20190503_160654.jpg

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 6
  • WOW! 2

This weekend I slated the large UTA transport building roof using fine card that came from old Metcalfe card kits. I cut strips to represent rows of slates and simply glued them down, overlapping each row. I finished the roof with ridge tile. I haven't had time to paint yet but I may scribe tile vertical lines into the strips to be more authentic. Will post pics after painting.

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 1