Goods Yard

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

David, I can tell that you have thrown your expert eye on the yard now for sure. Yes, you are correct. All the present stock will be weathered, especially those bright bread containers (as Provincial Wagons call them) or BU's (Bread Units, as the GNRi staff called them). The other thing I need to do is replace the back scene, I have a one piece scene ready to be fitted.

I also need to start thinking about a perspex front to prevent little fingers grappling with the wagons during exhibition or display. I have plans to either spray paint the surrounding fascia in GNRi Green and mount the GNRi crest somewhere too.

I don't really want to do much more to it otherwise it's overkill. I'm having to present  it in February at a venue in Omagh for a small gathering of locals with some sort of talk/photographic display - nothing confirmed just yet.

• Like 2

Robert, thank you for your offer, it is appreciated. I actually have a copy of the original scanned GNRi Crest which was used on RPSI locos. It's a huge file and will provide me with the presentation  I need. Many thanks anyway.

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 1

Have always liked the bread wagons and like pretty much everything else, wagons got very dirty, very quickly, so weathering will mean they blend in well with the overall scene.

One thing I have noticed -  and photos are very good for this sort of proof reading, is there are a couple of places where the ground doesn't meet the bottom of the buildings, though am guessing that is already on the to do list!

As for perspex edging, it is a personal thing, but over 30 years of exhibiting, is not something I've ever found necessary. Parents are pretty good at minding their children at shows and if inquisitive fingers do start exploring, a quiet word is all that is needed. If perspex is used, I think it is better to be full height, or most adults will find their view disturbed by the top edge. Mind you, I did once come very close to having a child vomit over the layout. Fortunately (?), he turned his head at the last moment and poor granny copped the whole lot instead. Not nice...

• Like 2

David, points taken. I'll certainly look at the 'gap's between ground and buildings. I had deliberately kept them apart as I intended removing the buildings during transit, otherwise I would consider securing them with ground surface and grass/weeds.

The Stephensons bread units are now weathered to kill the bright blue colour and the inglis set are next.

Finally, your good friend Frank Kirkland is calling with me later this afternoon so he can report back to you on his visit to see the model. All the way from Derbyshire!

I have started work on the water tower, gents toilet and shunters hut that were situated on the north end of omagh. They were situated on the passenger platform with access to the goods yard. This will bring this project build to an end almost. All I need to do is prepare the fascia and surround to allow safe display.

• Like 1

Great work Tony. Impressive work in bringing it all together. Modelling a real place brings certain challenges but you’ve really captured the look of Omagh ( I speak as one who spent much of his childhood poring over my dad’s 1960s Derry road photos and his collection of Irish railway books...

Tony

1 sqm of water weighs 1 tone approx, which puts some pressure on the sides especially at the top, so I reckon it might have bracing on the inside- angle iron verticals and horizontals with angle iron diagonals in this kind of fashion at a guess;-

1804305448_WaterTank-01.jpg.dfa268b31c25142ac86849c257d2a489.jpg

Note the diagonals go from inside bottom to outside top!

Eoin

• Like 2

Re; Water Tank Structure.

On reflection! no discerning Railway Man would spend his good money on my first submission so this morning I revised my guess to a more economical solution, this is the kind of way plastic tanks are built today and am sure it came from the past;-

1722032375_WaterTank-02a.jpg.3e4573f3a302a0ae0327ce595f2e1449.jpg  

Curved corners to the outer sheets would add significant structural capabilities and could lead to even more cost savings for the Railway Man- like the photos of the green tank above!

Eoin

• Like 3

For my sins, I have had the pleasure of inspecting the inside of some railway water tanks over the years. The GN and the NCC favoured tanks with subtle curves at the bottom and the corners - this can be seen to some effect in the tank kit at whitehead - ex portrush. Murrayec is correct, that less is very much more, and each panel, making up the tank (usually cast iron grouted and bolted together) would be connected to the floor panels with tie bars at approx 30-40 degrees, with additional horizontal tie bars in the corners - highlighted yellow in the sketch above. The tie-bars would usually  be solid rod, bolted to brackets cast into the panels making up the tank.

Regards

LE