Goods Yard

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

1 minute ago, PorkyP said:

I think you may be right about the oversize tiles!..  A fella I used to do some work for had a few very similar buildings, and I've been up on ladders many times replacing busted tiles like that.... tho I'm glad they weren't as big as on your model !!!

That's going to be a very nice representation of the building when you've done ....😉

Edited by PorkyP

• 4 weeks later...

After a terrible effort at using cinders to ballast my goods yard, I lifted all as it looked terrible. I replaced my baseboard top and repainted with 'scorched earth' exterior emulsion. I relayed the track, placed my walls and railings and now I'm ready to start some of the finer detailing in the yard. Having checked colour photos of Omagh goods yard I plan on using a mix of grey and brown. Pics taken today.

20190906_141433.jpg

20190906_141426.jpg

20190906_141413.jpg

20190906_141403.jpg

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 4
  • WOW! 3

9 hours ago, GNRi1959 said:

I'm just sorry the model won't be ready for enniskillen show 21st September 

Tony lots of makers bring almost-completed layouts to shows and the visitors totally understand and don’t mind at all!  In fact it’s helpful sometimes to see work in progress, or, as in this case, a masterpiece in the making!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would make it a bit more mixed, Tony, , maybe some litter about, a few small weeds, etc.  I think a little grey wouldn't go amiss too . You have a nice looking ground texture  which blends in well.  Maybe a few things like oil drums sitting about, or a pile  of some sort of stuff  awaiting loading.......  Rome wasn't built in a day and as others have said , it's more than ready for showing.

• Like 1

Thanks lads.

I have a load of palettes, oil drums and bits to be painted and sitting around the yard. Also need a load of pre-painted figures (expensive!) And of course, more work in the ground surface. Bought a static grass starter kit so that will be worth experimenting with. 

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 1

Not sure you need many figures, in fact I can't see any people at all in that photo, but maybe it is Sunday.

What I can see is a lot of litter, which ought to be easy enough to make, though in 4mm scale, the pieces will be very small. Also noticeable is how smooth the ground surfaces are - no doubt a mix of crushed ash, oil and mud. 

As for puddles and wet patches, the former ideally go in first as pieces of clear acrylic, while the for the latter, I find Humbrol  Gloss and Satin Cote work well, rather than ordinary varnish.

Am sure you'll have loads of fun with a static grass machine, while Gordon Gravett's book 'Modelling Grassland and Landscape Detailing' covers all the aspects you are likely to need, including weeds, flowers, roads, pavement, yards hedges, puddles and mud. It is the Bible of scenic work for me, anyway.

Goods Yard is a superb model that can only get better with more detailing. Enjoy!

• Like 3

David, today I was speaking to a friend who spent many days in the yard. He described it as earth that was compressed tight with constant traffic and granite stones from the ballasted track pressed into it. 

The photo must have been a sunday because it was normally packed with bread lorries unloading bread units, flat lorries unloading bagged and parceled goods and local deliveries to the shops in town.

I have rubbed modelling clay into the areas that staff and traffic would have compounded the ground below. This will look good when painted. I will also try a few puddles!

Thanks for your encouragement.

Thank you Leslie.

I got a sheet of Irish travel posters for the from gable of the UTA building in the right. The newspapers and rubbish will follow. I have palettes, sacks and barrells to paint and thanks to WrennEire bought some nice early Provincial wagons to increase traffic.

Have to start thinking about fascia, perspex and finish for display!

Thanks

• Like 2