Goods Yard

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

Nice one! The addition of a front view blocker works really well in the pictures and puts the whole scene in its proper context.

In some ways a bold move to put the focus of the diorama further back, but for me it balances the scene and frames it so the viewer is on the platform, looking in and everything appears bigger too. 

• Like 1

Tony.

Great to see your determination and commitment to modelling Omagh goods yard paying off.

The level of detail really brings the scene to life, I really like the view across the platform the water tower is certainly an excellent view blocker for a staged presentation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Great work! Showed this to my dad who was a regular traveller on the Derry Road and he loved it - well remembers looking into the yard from that platform. 

Nice, hope he enjoyed it!

14 hours ago, David Holman said:

Nice one! The addition of a front view blocker works really well in the pictures and puts the whole scene in its proper context.

In some ways a bold move to put the focus of the diorama further back, but for me it balances the scene and frames it so the viewer is on the platform, looking in and everything appears bigger too. 

Thanks David and John, as you know this layout was binned several times but I knew that I would get there eventually. 

A platform was added some time during its history and the arch built up. I think it also added to the security of goods at night. Behind the arch a platform ran right up to a small door entrance to the store. Inside, the store was 'planked' to platform height to allow easy unloading of wagons.

• Thanks 1

My next steps are the finer detail.... nameboards, signal, water crane, loading gauge and passengers. This will complete the model /diorama and let me focus on the outer fascia and display 'window'. Would the goods store building benefit from  some interior lighting coming through the perspex roof lights?

• Like 1

LEDs  worth a try, you can get short strips for interiors that only need a simple 12v supply. Have also used LED strip for layout lighting for several years now. Try LED Hut [find them on Google], the service is excellent. The 'cool white' strips I use on Fintonagh seem to work well. They come on a self adhesive roll that can be fixed to the front pelmet, plus they can also be put in extruded aluminium strip to go over the back of the layout.

David, since you are an expert on presentation, can I ask you if 'creating a window' to the front of a layout with lighting behind the front helmet works, if the sides are going to be either perspex enclosed or open to view.

Edited by GNRi1959

On 10/26/2019 at 6:22 AM, GNRi1959 said:

David, since you are an expert on presentation, can I ask you if 'creating a window' to the front of a layout with lighting behind the front helmet works, if the sides are going to be either perspex enclosed or open to view.

Not sure about being an expert, as I mainly copy the likes of Iain Rice and Gordon Gravett.

Nevertheless, the Rice concept works really well, as I use it on Fintonagh. The pelmet is arranged to be about 2cm beyond the front edge of the layout and has a strip of LEDs (cool white) just inside. The second strip of LEDs is about two thirds of the way back. The latter provides overall, even lighting and avoids shadows on the backscene. The front strip ensures there are now shadows on any models closest to the he viewers. 

Meanwhile the two sides which support the pelmet (painted the same colour as the baseboard frames) act like a picture frame to separate the layout from the surrounding area. At a show, this can include the backs of other layouts, operators, coffee mugs etc, as well as enclosing the lighting too.

It is REALLY noticeable at shows when layouts have little or no lighting, especially when the hall lighting is poor, or simply just different from that used at home.

• Like 1

As a mere punter, I find that poor layout lighting has a more detrimental effect than might be imagined.

I recently saw a layout that had lights at the back, on stalks and facing forwards, half in the eyes of the audience.

The 'pelmet' arrangement described above is often a successful approach, I find - avoiding glare from both perspectives.

Variable colour LEDs are available now , which might be useful in various conditions.

Some halls, particularly the larger ones, it seems, can have very poor general lighting, relying on whatever is being exhibited to light itself, and just providing enough general illumination for people to get about safely.

The worst example I've come across, thankfully cured now, was the Tonbridge show. The sports hall lights could be described as sodium - yellow street lamps and the effect on an unlit layout's colours was interesting, to say the least!

Spotlights certainly need handling with care, as Broithe says above. The main thing is to avoid unwanted shadows; LED strips are great for this, providing a very even light, but what ever is used, the main thing to remember is it should be the same light as you do any painting under - otherwise, the colours can end up looking very different to what was intended.

• Like 2

Ian, thank you for your kind words and snippets from the 'Con'. Indeed, the trackbed was a shortcut home for many school children. I used to walk the track bed from school to piano lessons and then home to the Derry Road. Although I was born in 1959 my mother took me to Belfast and Derry by train many times. Sadly I have no memory of it.Glad you like the model.

• 3 weeks later...