Interesting pictures...

Rate this topic

Broithe

There is still quite a community devoted to Morse Code.

One issue the more enthusiastic adherents can have is 'wander', where the key can drift across the desk surface.

This is more prevalent in the 'paddle' style of key, as seen here, with a bit of additional weight, to reduce the problem.

image.png.bdfc5097f02f43317386d9726b797478.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2024 at 6:30 PM, Broithe said:

And it shows Broadstone!

On 5/1/2024 at 1:54 PM, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

A late Christmas present from my wife, dinner out in a Pullman carriage at Glenlo Abbey hotel, different!

IMG_20240104_101910.jpg

IMG_20240104_110451.jpg

IMG_20240104_110522.jpg

IMG_20240104_110533.jpg

Relative of mine was there with partner the other week. Excellent setting (though they were in the 1950s BR standard coach(!)), and excellent food. However, the service, both at the meal, and at breakfast the following day, was truly atrocious; kept waiting 2.5 hours for dinner, and over an hour for breakfast - and delayed from later appointments as a result. And that's in January - hardly high season! Management gave them a derisory 30 euro voucher!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

And it shows Broadstone!

Relative of mine was there with partner the other week. Excellent setting (though they were in the 1950s BR standard coach(!)), and excellent food. However, the service, both at the meal, and at breakfast the following day, was truly atrocious; kept waiting 2.5 hours for dinner, and over an hour for breakfast - and delayed from later appointments as a result. And that's in January - hardly high season! Management gave them a derisory 30 euro voucher!

Ya we won't be going back, the breakfast was good service but the dinner was a different planet, booked for 6.45pm got my dessert at 9.30, never again.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Ya we won't be going back, the breakfast was good service but the dinner was a different planet, booked for 6.45pm got my dessert at 9.30, never again.

A shame...... plus, I won't be booking any of my tourists in there any time soon!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Maybe they'll have some narrow gauge "customer tubes" left over from HS2 to use on it............

HS2 is Hydrogen Sulphide - the smell of rotten eggs - and few things are more rotten than HS2...

Last time I worked out the cost on the declared amounts at the time, it was around £1,000 per centimetre, barely enough space to write my name on my bit.

• Like 1

Just now, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Leitrim?🤭

Further - on the way to Iceland...

This just popped up for me. I've not seen it before, but others probably have.

BreweryBarges.jpg

1911, apparently.

I thought Guinness used to have a smokier taste years ago...

• Like 6
  • WOW! 1

That is a wonderfully evocative photograph. Sadly not all Januarys are like that.

Up until yesterday (31st January)there was still frozen patches of snow on the aptly named Sliabh Snaght. I was elsewhere on Monday and any pools had a light covering of ice. 

• Like 2