Interesting pictures...

Rate this topic

Broithe

Well maybe not in case of Rita or rather Meta Davies the maid who issued a ticket to Paul McCartney.

Privatisation adds another layer of strangeness to all of this. I would have thought that that would result in a more rigorous approach to revenue generating enforcement. That is certainly the case with car clamping in Dublin.

6 minutes ago, Ironroad said:

....Privatisation adds another layer of strangeness to all of this. I would have thought that that would result in a more rigorous approach to revenue generating enforcement. ...

Meanwhile, over at Post Office Ltd.....

23 hours ago, Broithe said:

..... However, driving on the footpath is an offence -....

Meanwhile, over at Dublin Bus....

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Private clamping on the Big Island became largely illegal a decade ago. You do see the odd clamp by a state agency, but not many.

It is all about who's done what and to whom. 

With the Post Office as an example, there appears to have been a clear and widespread conspiracy to pervert the course of justice on a large scale over many years, but, somehow, the cops seem able to ignore that.

They'll drag anti-oil protestors off the road and fling them into the back of a van, but won't say 'boo' to a farmer blocking the same road in a separate dispute.

Etc.

It can be hard to know which laws you're allowed to break and which you aren't. I wouldn't venture into Birmingham much, but I had to go once and, approaching a set of traffic lights as they changed to red, I could have stopped, but I got the idea that the bloke behind me wasn't going to be interested in stopping, so I went through. When I glanced in the mirror, I saw that another six cars behind him had also followed us through.

There's also the madness that you don't have to put signs up for a 30mph limit, although there will usually be a set - but, the mere presence of lampposts less than 200m apart is enough to specify the speed limit - as if you're supposed to get out and measure the gaps. There are a few sections of roads with no signs and a run of street lights that 'generate quite a bit of cash' via their speed cameras. The opposite is also true - there are sections of the A55 with streetlighting but no repeater signs showing the 70mph limit that the cops actually assume is there. It's all a gamble, at times.

I always used to assume that the speed limits were in nautical miles per hour, rather than mph, but even that is dodgy now. The enforced limits are generally slower in 'quiet' areas, like Wales and the more rural parts of England, than they would be in the busy parts.

And three lane roads still exist in a few places, where you can drive in the centre lane in either direction and it's up to you and the bloke who'll run into you to play chicken competently...

Edited by Broithe
  • WOW! 2

5 hours ago, Broithe said:

... three lane roads still exist in a few places, where you can drive in the centre lane in either direction and it's up to you and the bloke who'll run into you to play chicken competently...

....and to add some extra elements to that frisson of uncertainty, the oncoming driver may well be under the influence of his cannabis habit, may have no insurance, and the car he's driving may be on cloned registration plates since it doesn't have any valid MoT or Vehicle Excise Duty. And he may not even have a valid licence....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Broithe said:

And three lane roads still exist in a few places, where you can drive in the centre lane in either direction and it's up to you and the bloke who'll run into you to play chicken competently...

Living in the UK 30-40 years ago I used to enjoy driving on the three lane sections of the A5 north of Milton Keynes, you had to go to Ireland to see really crazy driving behaviour.

Took a  autumn weekend trip home to Ireland via  P&O Cairnryan-Larne ferry about 30 years, leisurely trip southwards to Dublin checked out Whitehead and some gricing on the GNR line at Dunleer and Drogheda.

Trip  back to Scotland was a bit of a rush leaving late afternoon to catch the overnight boat to Scotland.

The N1 road North from Drogheda to wards Monaster Boyce was basically a two lane Highway with hard shoulder in either direction. As I overtook an Expressway Bus a "madman" decided to simultaneously overtake me using the southbound Hard Shoulder just as a southbound car appeared in the distance like something from a 'Mad-Max' movie. Our 'madman was unrelenting and just about avoided the southbound car and a nasty smash.

Edited by Mayner