Interesting pictures...

Rate this topic

Broithe

3 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

....It does very starkly show, though, the utter contempt that large companies (including railway companies) had for the safety of their workers........... had we never had trade unions, things would still be the same...........!

Looking at the likes of Amazon, etc., I'm not entirely sure things have changed.

• Like 2

In a similar vein...

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=pfbid0ixbKZ8fKVFTiP22wQFAYuVUB37w7QqGzcq8vfC3Fh9a6Rm6npFZ3o5waiNazES2ql&id=100089963332808

May be an image of 1 person, timber yard and La Sagrada Familia

"How do you climb a mountain of stacked railway ties? This 1937 photograph by Fox for the Daily Herald was taken in the Great Western Railway sleeper creosoting works in Hayes, Middlesex, England."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This morning's thunderstorm reduced the options for the Sunday morning excursion, but we made it to the summit of Arderin - 527m/1,729ft. This is only a short walk from the 'new road', despite being the highest point of the Slieve Blooms.

Anyway, the point is that I found a solitary sleeper, half-buried and there for no clear reason, a hundred metres from the summit cairn.DSC_0598.thumb.JPG.0c70c919d9be6b4dc4c6dd5b22d02f9a.JPG

DSC_0597.thumb.JPG.8966cbd540e3cf4d5ad336905c648517.JPG

Possibly the sole remains of an abortive plan to rival the railway up Snowdon?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Broithe said:

This morning's thunderstorm reduced the options for the Sunday morning excursion, but we made it to the summit of Arderin - 527m/1,729ft. This is only a short walk from the 'new road', despite being the highest point of the Slieve Blooms.

Anyway, the point is that I found a solitary sleeper, half-buried and there for no clear reason, a hundred metres from the summit cairn.DSC_0598.thumb.JPG.0c70c919d9be6b4dc4c6dd5b22d02f9a.JPG

And what a dose it might have been to carry it up there too!

On 16/7/2023 at 1:34 PM, Branchline121 said:

Reminds me of these Swiss yokes:

SBB_Ee_3-3_8521.png

They used electricity to heat the water, without the use of fire! Although looking cool, I'd imagine they were a bit of a hassle, as they were only built like this for the war and reverted soon after.

So, an electric kettle then? 😆

• Funny 1

Well I'm a bit gobsmacked over this one!

I took this photo of a slate train on my Conwy Falls layout yesterday and added it to one of my flickr albums.

Flickr has this unofficial Group called "In Explore" which 'show cases' photos added to Flickr . The 1.6 million selected invariably feature Scenery, People , Animals, Birds, Buildings , structures etc and quite often  real railways. I have over the years had quite a few prototype railway views picked by the Group but this is a first for me and I have never seen other model trains etc selected.

The layout is nowhere near being finished and features the Bachmann Scenecraft Ffestiniog Porthmadog Bog block which will in due course have a makeover with several additions/alterations planned .

I didn't realise I was such an artist - might have to spell my name Braque rather than Brack😉

2023-07-23 Conwy Falls, Princess, Slate train (3)

conwyfalls.thumb.JPG.4f2a7195fdb16c526f6f1b81c6017922.JPG

• Like 6
  • WOW! 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2023 at 12:22 PM, Broithe said:

On 9/7/2023 at 2:37 PM, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

And what a dose it might have been to carry it up there too!

Mmm, maybe I should have started a specific thread?

This one is near the TV mast at the top of Mount Leinster.

DSC_0703.thumb.JPG.c6835cf4d35ee708be496dccbc41016f.JPG

• Like 1

On 27/7/2023 at 3:38 PM, Darius43 said:

From an old album of photos from an Interail trip that I did with some friends from Belfast between school and university.

Berlin ‘83

IMG_9287.thumb.jpeg.f0256bc105e70855c588affc4feb421e.jpeg

IMG_9288.thumb.jpeg.ea6630443e1176d7c3e5006223c3c6fa.jpeg

IMG_9289.thumb.jpeg.c27ad7f3fdc479537188b1253bf14d7a.jpeg

IMG_9290.thumb.jpeg.bd0edb65379f90eeeb54491d40a5fbac.jpeg

IMG_9291.thumb.jpeg.1a3b8f1670028e3d9cace589a471db6e.jpeg

Looks a bit different now…

Cheers

Darius

A good use of your time, Darius.

You didn't explain that your photos were all taken from the West. When I was there (but in the EAST) in 1973, I did take a minute off from steam trains to walk down the Unter den Linden and visit the Brandeburg Gate. The avenue was a smart tre--lined street ending at the Gate which was heavily guarded! The British Embassy was a small shop between two of the Linden Trees - with photos in the window from the four corners of the Realm - including a fine shot of Derry's Walls!

• Like 1

On 16/7/2023 at 1:34 PM, Branchline121 said:

Reminds me of these Swiss yokes:

SBB_Ee_3-3_8521.png

They used electricity to heat the water, without the use of fire! Although looking cool, I'd imagine they were a bit of a hassle, as they were only built like this for the war and reverted soon after.

I believe I had seen this strange beast before and it seems a pretty nutty idea - but if you've been to the Swiss Transport Museum in Luzern, you'll see the staggering complexity of the earlier Swiss electric locos and railcars.

Maybe Peter Scott of the RPSI should make No.105 with a pantograph for when the main lines in Ireland are electrified? Personally, I favoured a small small nuclear reactor - no shortage of steam!

Using electricity to heat the water...

A technology revived by Hornby for their live steamers.

To be fair to the Swiss, if you have a 'real' steam loco available, you can just shove a big immersion heater in the boiler and a pantograph on the roof, so that you can run them (on electric lines) using indigenous hydro-electricity, whilst foreign coal was in short supply.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

I believe I had seen this strange beast before and it seems a pretty nutty idea - but if you've been to the Swiss Transport Museum in Luzern, you'll see the staggering complexity of the earlier Swiss electric locos and railcars.

Maybe Peter Scott of the RPSI should make No.105 with a pantograph for when the main lines in Ireland are electrified? Personally, I favoured a small small nuclear reactor - no shortage of steam!

Hi Leslie.  I visited the Swiss Transport Museum in Luzern on the same Interail trip in 1983 that took in West Berlin.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

Yesterday I set off on the 6.29 Railcar from Haltwhistle on a 3 Hour journey to Saltburn and then a 45 minute walk to Warsett Hill overlooking the North sea around which the Boulby Mine Branch has to detour to avoid a lengthy tunnel on its way from Saltburn West Junction. This line is England's answer to the Tara Mines service in that it exists to mainly serve the Boulby Potash mine. The eastern end of the line had to be relaid to serve it and includes a tunnel plus a complicated new road viaduct had to be built as the original bridge had been demolished to straighten out some dangerous bends. There is further traffic to Skinningrove Works which produces special steels usually a daily train of some 1500 tons.

From Tees Dock to Saltburn (roughly half way) the line has easy gradients but the trains share the rails with half hourly Northern Rail railcars and there is also a service of some 14 Trans Pennine trains to and from York and Manchester Airport. I can't see many Saltburn residents travelling to Manchester Airport or the town attracting international tourists but its probably simpler turning the trains around there rather than Middlesbrough.

From Saltburn the line twists and turns as it climbs to Hunt Cliff and then descends to Skinningrove before climbing again through Grinkle tunnel and then down to the mine.

Like Tara (when its working) there appear to be about 3 loaded trains to Tees Dock and there are also occasional salt trains to Middlesbrough. 

The scenery is however somewhat spectacular in parts and the gradients ensure the usual Class 66  have to work hard.

Here is a link to 66533 digging in with the sea in the background.

2023-08-09 Warsett Hill, 66148 On steel for Skinningrove. (2) 2023-08-09 Warsett Hill, 66533 Tees Dock to Boulby Mine mts.

OK OK I hear you I'm putting some Irish views on the Forum next.

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 1

On 8/8/2023 at 10:39 AM, leslie10646 said:

I was last in Luzern in 2006, and still haven't quite worked out how Buchli drive actually works.

Maybe some madmen might try to recreate the LMS Turbomotive in full size....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Horsetan said:

I was last in Luzern in 2006, and still haven't quite worked out how Buchli drive actually works.

Maybe some madmen might try to recreate the LMS Turbomotive in full size....

It's a bit like a more complicated Schmidt coupling.

KeyQuestionableHoneybadger-size_restrict

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

As part of my ongoing 'record every roadside pump in the vicinity' campaign, I was alerted to one that I had missed, even though I had actually walked past there recently on my lime kiln venture.

DSC_0812.thumb.JPG.25b09abb45e3d3b990dbb66a35fdfebe.JPG

This one is in Cullahill, Co Laois, just east of the old Dublin-Cork road, by a couple of hundred yards.

Anyway, the point of posting it here is that, this time, I failed to see the notice on the righthand side of the gateway.

G S & W R

NOTICE

Any person leaving

This gate open is

Liable to a penalty of

Forty Shillings

This location would be only a few miles west of the old Mountmellick/Kilkenny line and the station at Attanagh.

Does it look genuine to the cognoscenti?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...