Interesting pictures...

Rate this topic

Broithe

3 minutes ago, Branchline121 said:

All we need is a 5ft 3 version of that and take it to the Kingsc- oh wait, that’s a greenway now; maybe the Foyn- wait, that’s being lifted; how about Yough- greenway also; Feni- ditto. I guess there’s no abandoned tracks in Ireland to ride a yoke like that down anymore… Apart from the WRC! Hopefully that doesn’t get greenway’d.

Soon (as long as you don’t mind pedalling instead of an engine) such a thing will exist in Ireland!
https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2023/01/31/staff-being-recruited-for-mayo-velorail-project/

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 12:52 AM, Westcorkrailway said:

Soon (as long as you don’t mind pedalling instead of an engine) such a thing will exist in Ireland!
https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2023/01/31/staff-being-recruited-for-mayo-velorail-project/

The local equivalent are commercial tourist operations that use self-drive rail buggies on 'mothballed' lines.

https://www.forgottenworldadventures.co.nz/

https://railcruising.com/

Not convinced many people would be prepared to pay €160 for an adult or €370 per family for a half day "Rail Cart" cruise on the Burma Road or other mothballed line.

• Like 1

I wonder what is supposed to happen when Kiltimagh Velorails encounter each other, assuming there are a few of them? Or walkers for that matter? What happens at farm and road level crossings, if there are any?

I assume they can't practicably cordon off the length of the line keep random people out?

Edit, I see from the reviews of a French operator, they go out in one direction in a convoy. Could be a little frustrating if you get differing groups who want to slow down to smell the flowers and others who want to cycle them flat out.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

I wonder what is supposed to happen when Kiltimagh Velorails encounter each other, assuming there are a few of them? Or walkers for that matter? What happens at farm and road level crossings, if there are any?

I assume they can't practicably cordon off the length of the line keep random people out?

Edit, I see from the reviews of a French operator, they go out in one direction in a convoy.

You must have a staff to go through each section 😁😁😁

I presume you’d need to have an idea of how fast each party is able to travel too 

• Funny 1

I understand that such systems overseas adopt the early railway practice of timed interval departures. Perhaps morning departures in one direction and afternoon departures in the other? Staff and ticket would be more fun…..

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

I caused great hilarity in that station around 2010. I needed to get the train out to Bechovice and got the tram to the station, having gone into town on the bus. It was a Sunday and there was an hour between each train. I expected to just miss the two o'clock, but waiting for the three o'clock was no great hardship, as there's lots to look at and some interesting stalls, too.

However, as we approached the station on the tram, it became clear that I might just be able to get the two o'clock train. I was in no rush, but a lifetime of dealing with trains on the Big Island made me feel honour-bound to get a train that was actually on time. I sprinted from the tram into the station, catching my toe on the last step. Initially, I believed that I could recover by running faster, but, however fast I ran, I still kept falling forwards. I also knew that there was a crowd of Japanese tourists on the line I was taking, but, by this stage, I could not see in front of me as I stumbled at high speed towards them. After a few seconds of futile attempts at defeating the situation, I had to admit that, if I didn't give in, I was going to scythe down a few of the Japanese. So, I abandoned the attempt and fell to the floor. It was a nice smooth floor, so I slid along for a bit and, having spotted me coming, the group had parted, like the Red Sea.

I sat up, only to see the train departing.

This caused the Japanese much amusement.

A few days later, I saw them again. The 'lead tourist' was trying to find someone who spoke English, so he could ask directions, but failed with the four or five he tried before me. I answered him in my best pidgin Japanese and he thought that was a small miracle. I was then surrounded by the whole group, jabbering away at me. Then, one of them realised that I was the circus act from the station and they all got even more excited.

I saw them a few more times over the next days and they would always give me a round of applause, confusing the natives greatly.

• Funny 6

1 hour ago, Broithe said:

I caused great hilarity in that station around 2010. I needed to get the train out to Bechovice and got the tram to the station, having gone into town on the bus. It was a Sunday and there was an hour between each train. I expected to just miss the two o'clock, but waiting for the three o'clock was no great hardship, as there's lots to look at and some interesting stalls, too.

However, as we approached the station on the tram, it became clear that I might just be able to get the two o'clock train. I was in no rush, but a lifetime of dealing with trains on the Big Island made me feel honour-bound to get a train that was actually on time. I sprinted from the tram into the station, catching my toe on the last step. Initially, I believed that I could recover by running faster, but, however fast I ran, I still kept falling forwards. I also knew that there was a crowd of Japanese tourists on the line I was taking, but, by this stage, I could not see in front of me as I stumbled at high speed towards them. After a few seconds of futile attempts at defeating the situation, I had to admit that, if I didn't give in, I was going to scythe down a few of the Japanese. So, I abandoned the attempt and fell to the floor. It was a nice smooth floor, so I slid along for a bit and, having spotted me coming, the group had parted, like the Red Sea.

I sat up, only to see the train departing.

This caused the Japanese much amusement.

A few days later, I saw them again. The 'lead tourist' was trying to find someone who spoke English, so he could ask directions, but failed with the four or five he tried before me. I answered him in my best pidgin Japanese and he thought that was a small miracle. I was then surrounded by the whole group, jabbering away at me. Then, one of them realised that I was the circus act from the station and they all got even more excited.

I saw them a few more times over the next days and they would always give me a round of applause, confusing the natives greatly.

Great story 🤭

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

A gran truismo track in tenerife would be great because there is a massive ring road going around the whole island, and the taxi drivers certainly drive like it’s ”need for speed” anyway!

7250B793-D622-4C34-8414-12995168C441.thumb.jpeg.7b13c0893aeb90ef24aee4790f065619.jpeg

Lovely shot.

The geography of the island would tend to lean more towards end-to-end rally stages, either uphill or downhill, as opposed to laps.

Probably be a few years yet before the actual motor circuit is finished and open. China will have been sanctioned for invading Taiwan by then, and IRM will have opened a factory here.

In Ride 3, they used some real scenery, but invented a road that doesn't exist to create the loop.

Photo from last night and another this morning with all three islands visible; El Hierro to the left (just the tip), La Gomera front and centre, and the twin summits of La Palma to the right.

Not too common to see all three, specially this time of year, and it's super rare to see them any time other than sunset.

1683024620663.jpg

1682971824262.jpg

• Like 4