Interesting pictures...

Rate this topic

Broithe

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Genuinely, that IS what will happen - it actually HAS to be what happens. And 50% as a bare minimum, I'm afraid, possibly added to by 50% of the planet becoming uninhabitable, through either being too hot and dry, too stormy, or submerged. In such a scenario, a 50% reduction in numbers would solve nothing - it would have to be a very great deal more.

Gloomy and apocalypic as it sounds......... that's what nature does.

Also, if Putin decides to start World War 3 then this will wipe out most of the population. 🚀🌍

• Like 1

In terms of population, Ireland is unusual and possibly unique in the world in having a lower population now than it did 200 years ago.

Back in the days of the USSR, there were occasions when 'the system' indicated that nuclear weapons should be launched, but the individuals required to actually initiate that decided not to do it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/9/2022 at 2:00 PM, jhb171achill said:

I knew that CIE got rid of 3rd class and re-designated it 2nd in the 1950s - but I hadn't realised that any vehicles in the lighter green livery ever had a "3" on the doors, let alone an AEC railcar!

Hi Jon,

In 1950 (by the terms of some international agreement), 2nd class was abolished, leaving 1st and 3rd. The GNR(B) at least did not "rebrand" 3rd class to 2nd until 1956 and I suspect CIE & the UTA may acted in a similar manner at the same time. LM 

5 hours ago, Lambeg man said:

Hi Jon,

In 1950 (by the terms of some international agreement), 2nd class was abolished, leaving 1st and 3rd. The GNR(B) at least did not "rebrand" 3rd class to 2nd until 1956 and I suspect CIE & the UTA may acted in a similar manner at the same time. LM 

CIE seemed to cotton onto the "re-branding" a bit later; obviously, such agreements were not binding therefore different companies or countries might have abolished one or other earlier or later. I think that publicly at least, the NCC was the last to offer all three classes within this island. I actually have a list of dates somewhere which I will post if I can fish it out.

46 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

CIE seemed to cotton onto the "re-branding" a bit later; obviously, such agreements were not binding therefore different companies or countries might have abolished one or other earlier or later. I think that publicly at least, the NCC was the last to offer all three classes within this island. I actually have a list of dates somewhere which I will post if I can fish it out.

Would love to see that.

• Like 1

An interesting set-up for those into track-building.

"The railway networks of Finland and Sweden are now connected for the first time with through rails thanks to Tornio's new bogie switching device, before only through crossings and gauge switching devices. The counter rails keep the narrower Swedish wheelsets on the wider Finnish track."

On 4/11/2022 at 11:51 AM, Broithe said:

An interesting set-up for those into track-building.

"The railway networks of Finland and Sweden are now connected for the first time with through rails thanks to Tornio's new bogie switching device, before only through crossings and gauge switching devices. The counter rails keep the narrower Swedish wheelsets on the wider Finnish track."

That must be what they're thinking about for that Celtic Crossing!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1