Interesting pictures...

Rate this topic

Broithe

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Thanks for posting. Very educational video footage. Looks like that line has been saved. Must have been one of the last lines with wooden railway sleepers. It was on the 'at risk' list. Hope the Wexford/Waterford line gets a new lease of life also. 

For a line that has seemed to be 'at risk' for the whole of living memory, it has survived quite well...

• Like 1

I remember reading how, on the introduction of the A Class in Ireland, a confused onlooker mistook the quantity of exhaust for smoke and asked the driver "where do you put the coal"!

Looks like that isn't a thing of the past.

The drama of this clip is added to by SNCF's inscription on the side of the engine - "Cette locomotive respecte votre environnment"!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

10 minutes ago, flowcoach said:

I remember reading how, on the introduction of the A Class in Ireland, a confused onlooker mistook the quantity of exhaust for smoke and asked the driver "where do you put the coal"!

Looks like that isn't a thing of the past.

The drama of this clip is added to by SNCF's inscription on the side of the engine - "Cette locomotive respecte votre environnment"!

Yip you can see why govts all around the world are so keen to ban diesel powered machinery and vehicles.  I doubt we’ll see much diesel locos and multiple units on Irish rails after 2035. These disgusting heavy polluters and health damaging yokes seem on a short wicket. Bring on electrification and HFC power.

58 minutes ago, Noel said:

Yip you can see why govts all around the world are so keen to ban diesel powered machinery and vehicles.  I doubt we’ll see much diesel locos and multiple units on Irish rails after 2035. These disgusting heavy polluters and health damaging yokes seem on a short wicket. Bring on electrification and HFC power.

I dare not suggest bringing back steam locomotives!  😉

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 7:52 PM, jhb171achill said:

I dare not suggest bringing back steam locomotives!  😉

Stick a pantograph on top & install some traction motors - job done. Also, think of the amount of batteries you could fit into the boiler space if you ripped out all the pipes! 😂

• Like 1

I'm seeing that several of the above posts come from Twitter. I have up until now studiously avoided going anywhere near twitter; those on it might comment on the extent to which it is of any use in terms of railway interest? Is it just a duplicated version of interweb stuff? Or is there more to see? I see the IRRS is on it - I wasn't aware of that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I'm seeing that several of the above posts come from Twitter. I have up until now studiously avoided going anywhere near twitter; those on it might comment on the extent to which it is of any use in terms of railway interest? Is it just a duplicated version of interweb stuff? Or is there more to see? I see the IRRS is on it - I wasn't aware of that.

Like any of the (anti)social media, Twitter can be dreadful, but it can also be very useful, if you 'target' your involvement correctly.

There will be duplication, as on any other 'platform', but that can be ignored with the very tiniest of effort.

'Follow' the right people and stay away from the nutter-end of it, and you should be OK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broithe said:

Like any of the (anti)social media, Twitter can be dreadful, but it can also be very useful, if you 'target' your involvement correctly.

There will be duplication, as on any other 'platform', but that can be ignored with the very tiniest of effort.

'Follow' the right people and stay away from the nutter-end of it, and you should be OK.

I'd be afraid I'd end up arguing with trumpists, anti-vaxxers and other random conspiracy wackos! 😉

8 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I'd be afraid I'd end up arguing with trumpists, anti-vaxxers and other random conspiracy wackos! 😉

I wouldn't worry too much, just don't 'go there'.

I'll look out for you and start declaring that all wagon chassis should be black.

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, bufferstop said:

IMG_1839.thumb.JPG.b876ad11e4be719b9432db82a6c9a137.JPG

IMG_1840.thumb.JPG.5e48308f1b2f5c10eb33cb261712c0ea.JPG

Dunk, dunk, dunk. Wagon pulled for wheel set replacement

Interesting what could cause a flat spot like that?  brakes sized on startup, or running for a mile with axle stopped due unbalanced braking on a lightly loaded wagon? Just curious, I’m sure some of the railway men on here might know. Must have generated spectacular heat.

10 hours ago, bufferstop said:

IMG_1839.thumb.JPG.b876ad11e4be719b9432db82a6c9a137.JPG

IMG_1840.thumb.JPG.5e48308f1b2f5c10eb33cb261712c0ea.JPG

Dunk, dunk, dunk. Wagon pulled for wheel set replacement

Make a good photo if someone stood beside that with a rubber patch from a bicycle repair kit....One for 1st April next year.

On 24/2/2022 at 9:58 AM, Broithe said:

He surely has to produce a calendar for next Christmas?

Would make a nice Christmas card...

• Like 1