Interesting pictures...

Rate this topic

Broithe

252CorkB131assistderailed4

4 being re-railed at Cork April 1969 with a little help from B131

245LimerickShed4

Limerick 4 + 171 April 1969

GSW 69r96 Cork B167 attemping to re-rail 4 26apr69

I have the late Tony Nokes slides etc from the Tour which according to his notes 4 was rescued by B167 as above but somewhere along the line B131 got in on the act.

Ernie

DOH! Off Topic again.

Better get back on Try this

Belfast Queens Quay GNRI Motor Trailer 214 4Aug59 img392

Belfast Queens Quay GNRI Motor Trailer 214 4Aug59 img392

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant photo of No. 214. I think I am correct in saying that No colour photo of one of the ex-Railmotor Trailers has ever been published. I would stand corrected on that. No. 214 was the last of the classification K 9 to be withdrawn., clearly awaiting auction here.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:15 AM, leslie10646 said:

Next day, we returned via Limerick as already reported and guess what? No.4 lost her pony truck again in the shed yard - trapping No.171 inside. So there we were with no loco for the trip onwards to Dublin  and Belfast. The Inspector, the late Paddy Gannon, simply asked our rail tours officer ( the late and estimable Drew Donaldson) - "What do you want to do"?

Now Drew once famously threatened to lie down in front of an ailing 400 class on a tour, to ensure that the tour did not continue with a diesel loco, so not surprisingly asked Paddy to muster a team and rerail the offending truck. A bunch of local pw men did it in double quick time using the most modest tools (including a few sleepers!) and we were back in business after an hour. Well done the Limerick men!

I was ferreting through my files and came across these 2 taken by the late Ken Groundwater which must be the pony truck derailment at Limerick. I don't think we would get away with these days with the use of a loco (it would have to an 071 class!) as a grandstand. Photos copyright of the Armstrong Railway Photographic Trust.

Ernie

140-18 GN No171 Ireland 03-69 (Brian Boru) (K Groundwater) 171.jpg

140-17 GN No171 Ireland 03-69 (Brian Boru) (K Groundwater) 170.jpg

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 3

Brilliant photos Ernie! And useful front end detail for modellers.

I bought a copy of Railway World which covered this tour, detailing all of the challenges. (Cover photo below).

I often wondered what the GNR coach was in the train; any info or photos?

Cheers,

Glover

image.jpeg

Coach 47N was a GNR(I) Class J11, built as a Tri Composite Brake with two compartments - one of six First seats, the second of eight Second seats and finally thirty Third class seats in an open saloon. PLus TWO toilets (one at each end of the passenger section) and a brake compartment.

Went to CIE at the dissolution of the GN and this was her last year in service, big withdrawn in 1970. By this time she was a First / Third compo, I suspect, so some lucky guys on the tour had First Class seats.

• Informative 1

Many thanks Ernie, and Leslie.

Leslie's information is correct, as I would expect.

The GNR built three of this type; two went to CIE and the other to the UTA, on the dissolution of the GNR.

And, I've built models of two of them!

This is my model of 47N, in CIE green. It's painted in black 'n tan on the other side and numbered 105N.

I note that, in Ernie's photo, there are sliding vents in the large window, next to the smaller one and door. My only photographic reference was of the UTA coach, in Norman Johnstons "Parting Shot" book. It may be that either CIE or the UTA made a change to the original but I don't think we can stress ourselves too much over that at this stage!

Again, many thanks to all who are helping to preserve photographic records and memories of days long gone.

Cheers,

Glover

image.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/2/2019 at 9:15 AM, leslie10646 said:

Spot on Lambeg re the Brain Boru visit to Limerick. A memorable tour (for a lot of wrong reasons).

The tour was the first since No.171 was overhauled, but unhappily she blew a gland on the way to Dublin (although not without doing 70mph before that happened). So, No.4 (straight off working on the spoil trains) ran solo to Cork, where she contrived to derail her pony truck in the shed yard. 171 worked to Cobh and back, having run Dubin to Cork light engine.

Next day, we returned via Limerick as already reported and guess what? No.4 lost her pony truck again in the shed yard - trapping No.171 inside. So there we were with no loco for the trip onwards to Dublin  and Belfast. The Inspector, the late Paddy Gannon, simply asked our rail tours officer ( the late and estimable Drew Donaldson) - "What do you want to do"?

Now Drew once famously threatened to lie down in front of an ailing 400 class on a tour, to ensure that the tour did not continue with a diesel loco, so not surprisingly asked Paddy to muster a team and rerail the offending truck. A bunch of local pw men did it in double quick time using the most modest tools (including a few sleepers!) and we were back in business after an hour. Well done the Limerick men!

No.171 set off on her own, but very weakly, due to that blown gland. At Ballybrophy, while she took water, it was discovered that No.4 was right behind her on the block, so she came forward to pilot.

What followed was a piece of folklore - for that meant driving her over a facing crossover from the down line (she had running bunker first because of the dodgy pony truck). The CIE driver declined to have the honour of taking No.4 over the crossover - who could blame him with the Sunday rush hour about to begin and the possibility of blocking both main lines? As it happened, the NIR inspector, Frank Dunlop, was on the train to advise the CIE guys on the handling of the tank. So he volunteered to edge her slowly over the points and in front of No.171.

After that, it was relatively plain sailing - I've forgotten how late we were back into Belfast!

Wouldn't have missed it!

Thanks Leslie - couldn't resist showing my dad the pics in this thread of that episode. As he recalls it took Frank Dunlop’s authorisation to allow 4 to run bunker first. He says you got into Belfast at 3am! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:49 PM, Irishswissernie said:

Mallow 4 c251

Probably clutching at straws here but this coach on the 'Brian Boru' is numbered 47N. Would this have been an ex GNRI coach with an N added . Coaching stock is not my forte unfortunately.

Ernie 

Yes, very much so. A GNR coach of 1940s / 50s origin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...