Interesting pictures...

Rate this topic

Broithe

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Noel said:

Great to see this line getting new CWR track. Suggests the line is less at risk of closure given this investment. Impressive process to replace the trackwork.

It's truly remarkable for a line that has seemed to be 'under threat' for the whole of my lifetime.

I can also see why IRM have been so slow to announce the mobile track gantries - it would be very difficult to make them compatible for both 16.5 and 21mm - it may have to be two individual models, I think...

13 minutes ago, spudfan said:

Checking to see if one of the rubber traction tyres came off......

It's typical, isn't it?

You get a one-off chance for an unusual shot of the underside and there always people prepared to get in the way.

Also, the bloke in the bottom right-hand corner has a lot of faith in it staying where it is...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I came across these 2 negatives recently, I've no recollection where they came from but on scanning them they are quite interesting. The 2 ships 'Carrowdene' & 'Clarecastle' were part of the Guinness fleet and are loading barrels for export at or just down river of the Custom House quay in Dublin. The small barge "Seapoint" was used to transfer barrels from the St James Brewery quay near Heuston down the River Liffey, sailing under all the bridges to where sea-going ships could berth.

Guinness 1950-CA Liffey tranship wharf 'Carrowdene' Guinness 1950-CA Liffey tranship wharf. 'Seapoint' tranship barge from brewer quay  & Clarecastle to rear.

• Like 6

I remember Guinness boats. I seem to recall them panted blue and had girls names. Then again I remember the Guinness train system with the tracks embedded in the cobble stones. You never knew when one would appear. Probably would not be allowed to have a system on public roads like that now.

On 18/7/2022 at 11:46 AM, Galteemore said:

Fascinating stuff - had no idea that the fleet lasted till 1993…..https://www.guinness-storehouse.com/content/pdf/archive-factsheets/transport-cooperage/ships.pdf

Our barges neat by Watling Street

Rock gently to and fro,

And hoists and slings the barrels swing

Down to the holds below.

With holds and decks packed with Double X

They sail down with the tide,

All specially made for the English trade

Down by the Liffey Side

From the singing of Margaret Barry, some say it was written by Oliver Gogarty.

• Like 4