Interesting pictures...

Rate this topic

Broithe

On 10/8/2023 at 2:24 PM, Irishswissernie said:

Yesterday I set off on the 6.29 Railcar from Haltwhistle on a 3 Hour journey to Saltburn and then a 45 minute walk to Warsett Hill overlooking the North sea around which the Boulby Mine Branch has to detour to avoid a lengthy tunnel on its way from Saltburn West Junction. This line is England's answer to the Tara Mines service in that it exists to mainly serve the Boulby Potash mine. The eastern end of the line had to be relaid to serve it and includes a tunnel plus a complicated new road viaduct had to be built as the original bridge had been demolished to straighten out some dangerous bends. There is further traffic to Skinningrove Works which produces special steels usually a daily train of some 1500 tons.

From Tees Dock to Saltburn (roughly half way) the line has easy gradients but the trains share the rails with half hourly Northern Rail railcars and there is also a service of some 14 Trans Pennine trains to and from York and Manchester Airport. I can't see many Saltburn residents travelling to Manchester Airport or the town attracting international tourists but its probably simpler turning the trains around there rather than Middlesbrough.

From Saltburn the line twists and turns as it climbs to Hunt Cliff and then descends to Skinningrove before climbing again through Grinkle tunnel and then down to the mine.

Like Tara (when its working) there appear to be about 3 loaded trains to Tees Dock and there are also occasional salt trains to Middlesbrough. 

The scenery is however somewhat spectacular in parts and the gradients ensure the usual Class 66  have to work hard.

Here is a link to 66533 digging in with the sea in the background.

2023-08-09 Warsett Hill, 66148 On steel for Skinningrove. (2) 2023-08-09 Warsett Hill, 66533 Tees Dock to Boulby Mine mts.

OK OK I hear you I'm putting some Irish views on the Forum next.

One of my weekly haunts is to Saltburn for fish and chips (try the Cat Nab, I get a blue eyed, Irish accent discount hehe)  I've been up on the cliffs too where the line comes fairly close to the cliff edge leaving a narrow track above a sheer drop. I've walked from the breakwater at Teesport, along the coast to Whitby over a few weekends.
Open to correction but I think the Manchester Airport train only goes to Redcar via Northallerton. Any trains from Saltburn go to Darlington or Bishop Auckland unless this has changed recently.
Lovely part of the world.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Which came first I wonder, the hospital or the roundabout? 🤭

The roundabout looks to have been made around ten years ago - this is how it was before.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.9675775,-82.7940998,3a,75y,209.22h,84.44t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sxNMNCmUo7G0A3oEIlr7ceQ!2e0!5s20120901T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, irishrailways52 said:

DJ Dangerous

I never realised just how active you where on the form until you changed your profile picture

I earned this yesterday morning, dealing with the usual suspects, so it seemed appropriate to use it while I have the chance.

I still dream about Superquinn sausages every night, don't worry.

😂

• Funny 1

9 minutes ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

What are you on about?

Please accept my facetiously offered apologies, I forgot that I need to spell everything out for you.

See, at the bottom of your 'phone, there's a little rectangular hole with rounded corners. It's often called a charging port. If you connect an appropriate cable, the little number 43 on the top right of your screen will start to climb, aaaallllllllll the way up to 100.

That's the battery level for your 'phone, and yours is almost as bad as mine. The closer to 100, the healthier your 'phone's battery.

Also, if you make a swiping gesture downwards from the top of your screen, you'll see an expanded version of your Instagram notification, the one that's in the top left.

You posted a screenshot of a photo of a mural, so these things are clear to see.

With the utmost sincerity, and a grovelling apology for my misdemeanour, I hope that you now have a better understanding of my joke.

😂😂😂😂😂

20 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Please accept my facetiously offered apologies, I forgot that I need to spell everything out for you.

See, at the bottom of your 'phone, there's a little rectangular hole with rounded corners. It's often called a charging port. If you connect an appropriate cable, the little number 43 on the top right of your screen will start to climb, aaaallllllllll the way up to 100.

That's the battery level for your 'phone, and yours is almost as bad as mine. The closer to 100, the healthier your 'phone's battery.

Also, if you make a swiping gesture downwards from the top of your screen, you'll see an expanded version of your Instagram notification, the one that's in the top left.

You posted a screenshot of a photo of a mural, so these things are clear to see.

With the utmost sincerity, and a grovelling apology for my misdemeanour, I hope that you now have a better understanding of my joke.

😂😂😂😂😂

Sorry to disappoint you but your joke fell flat, I don't have an Instagram account and that wasn't my phone, your apology is accepted, now please stop saying that you need to spell things out for me, it's getting harder to post anything on here with you hassling me and others.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Sorry to disappoint you but your joke fell flat, I don't have an Instagram account and that wasn't my phone, your apology is accepted, now please stop saying that you need to spell things out for me, it's getting harder to post anything on here with you hassling me and others.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Doesn't look like it's getting harder for you to post.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

12 minutes ago, tonybonneyba said:

It's 43%, its fiiiiinnnnneeee....

Mine gets to 4% - 2% before i remember to charge it 😅

I know someone like that. Her phone is constantly on the point of death. She is considering getting an electric car. I have suggested that she gets a bike instead. Even with her current petrol car, any journey that might go outside the urban speed limit zone has to start with a visit to a filling station 'to put enough in'.

I'm not a huge user of mobile phones, I still run a Nokia 3510. From when I did use it a bit more, I have a 'rule' that it should always have a £10 minimum credit in, just in case a bout of heavy usage becomes necessary. A few weeks ago, I thought I'd better check the current balance, even though most of my outgoing stuff is just the occasional response to a "Use it or we'll turn you off!" threat from the provider. I still had £18:70 in it and it was nearly twenty months since I had topped it up.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Broithe said:

I know someone like that. Her phone is constantly on the point of death. She is considering getting an electric car. I have suggested that she gets a bike instead. Even with her current petrol car, any journey that might go outside the urban speed limit zone has to start with a visit to a filling station 'to put enough in'.

I'm not a huge user of mobile phones, I still run a Nokia 3510. From when I did use it a bit more, I have a 'rule' that it should always have a £10 minimum credit in, just in case a bout of heavy usage becomes necessary. A few weeks ago, I thought I'd better check the current balance, even though most of my outgoing stuff is just the occasional response to a "Use it or we'll turn you off!" threat from the provider. I still had £18:70 in it and it was nearly twenty months since I had topped it up.

With the car, I tend to fill the tank all the way up, and run it all the way down. The consumption per tank gives me a good idea that everything is OK.

With the electric van, I try not to let the battery drop below about a third, but it's impossible to keep it fully charged all the time.

With the 'phone, which is six odd years old, the battery sometimes struggles to keep going for a fifteen or twenty hour day. Days off work etc are easier.

34 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I try really hard not to let mine charge over 80% or drop below 30%, but at times, yeah, down to the red!

I've got battery protection turned on on all my devices which limits the charge to 85% & cuts off the charge until it drops below 80%.....

Tbf, its only a few times a week i really let drop right down to 1% or so....

21 minutes ago, Broithe said:

Ha! I'm looking to get a electric car in the future too!

I like to get a full day & bit worth of usage from my device before i really have to charge it, & when i do charge it, it gets fully charged to the 85%.

My goodybag with GiffGaff rolls over monthly on £10 with unlimited calls, text etc with a huge amount of data too, also keep a fiver on it incase that goodybag can't be paid for whatever reason. GiffGaff send me messages & emails telling me i should switch to the £8 goodybag & at one point, the £5 one! 😆

Edited by tonybonneyba
Canna spell
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Nose-first running???

It looks like it - there are no queues at the barriers.

Are Americans as adverse to that arrangement..?

I have seen it suggested that, as they have rather more 'interaction' with road vehicles on grade crossings, having the crew-space some way back from the front is perceived as a preferable arrangement, in the event of a collision.

• Like 1