Interesting pictures...

Rate this topic

Broithe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I managed to catch it better on the return service - not sure if there was a catering trolley onboard, the steamed-up windows reduced visibility of the interior.

At least the guards turned up to check for ticket evaders.

DSC_0318.thumb.JPG.cdd841ee8ad21dd817e83c2c9693f196.JPG

DSC_0319.thumb.JPG.27d3105decf377d6eee9dffb786fa338.JPG

DSC_0320.thumb.JPG.7246772fcec09034025487ac5c7087de.JPG

DSC_0321.thumb.JPG.4ae33fad87f2265ac620a82810422d89.JPG

Good shot of the coupling there - for those interested in modelling this arrangement.

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

Speeder (Inspection Car) tours are a popular pastime in the USA. https://www.timesreporter.com/picture-gallery/news/2023/07/14/photos-speeder-railroad-inspection-cars-used-tours-age-steam-roundhouse/12255446002/

There were stories about farmers using gangers trollies (push along) "to bring in the hay" on the C&L, some 'young people" from Crooksling used a Dublin & Blessington gangers trolly to go to dances/parties at Brittas the 1920s, (the source who passed away long ago remembers there was a flat on one wheel giving a bumpy ride. Said it was an exciting ride down hill (in the days before teens had cars/motor bikes) but a pain pushing the trolly up the hill after a night out!

Some people considered using a preserved Wickham car for a 'run on the main-line" on a Christmas Day but thought better of it!

BNM used to carry out track inspections by scrambler motor bike, but locos (with a push button start no keys) used to be parked 'out on the bog" if you were in the mood for taking a spin.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2024 at 7:49 PM, Broithe said:

I came across this earlier today. The short-term airship terminal in Glasnevin, before the airport really got going properly.

May be an image of airship and text

I always find it entertaining to look at photos of where airships were moored when they were relevant, trains weren’t the only things unfortunately phased out by planes. Here’s 2 pictures:
image.jpeg.e9fd5d10196874e467ba2e8e6f2fdacf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4f0607443f75fa560870ef16239bfb4d.jpeg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Branchline121 said:

I always find it entertaining to look at photos of where airships were moored when they were relevant, trains weren’t the only things unfortunately phased out by planes. 

I'm not sure airships needed any help being phased out after the Hindenburg thing.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

18 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Sure the whole idea of them taking on was a load o'hot air..........

Cold air balloons would be the safest method, if only they would fly.

When I had a proper job, we used sulphur hexafluoride gas, both as an insulator and as a blast to control and extinguish arcs as a circuit breaker opened.

It is a truly weird substance, chemically inert (before it's had a good bit of arcing to degenerate it), but extremely dense, about six times that of air. A balloon filled with it was a strange thing, it would just fall straight down and stay there, not even bouncing. There are a few videos of demonstrations on You Tube, where a tinfoil boat is floated on a fish tank filled with SF6, appearing to just float on nothing. Being chemically inert did mean that you never knew it was there, although it would affect your voice, in a reverse way to the often seen 'helium effect' - but this had its hazards, as it was quite possible to drown in it, without any sensation of drowning, as your lungs barely noticed the physical difference from air. This made entering vessels that had been filled with it a practice that required your full attention, even if they had been pumped out. My practice was to drop a vacuum cleaner pipe in to the bottom and run it for half an hour.

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

2 minutes ago, Broithe said:

Cold air balloons would be the safest method, if only they would fly.

When I had a proper job, we used sulphur hexafluoride gas, both as an insulator and as a blast to control and extinguish arcs as a circuit breaker opened.

It is a truly weird substance, chemically inert (before it's had a good bit of arcing to degenerate it), but extremely dense, about six times that of air. A balloon filled with it was a strange thing, it would just fall straight down and stay there, not even bouncing. There are a few videos of demonstrations on You Tube, where a tinfoil boat is floated on a fish tank filled with SF6, appearing to just float on nothing. Being chemically inert did mean that you never knew it was there, although it would affect your voice, in a reverse way to the often seen 'helium effect' - but this had its hazards, as it was quite possible to drown in it, without any sensation of drowning, as your lungs barely noticed the physical difference from air. This made entering vessels that had been filled with it a practice that required your full attention, even if they had been pumped out. My practice was to drop a vacuum cleaner pipe in to the bottom and run it for half an hour.

Fascinating science!

On 4/4/2024 at 9:56 PM, jhb171achill said:

You'd need some head for heights to walk across that gangway!

And some set of cajones!

On 4/4/2024 at 9:41 PM, Branchline121 said:

I always find it entertaining to look at photos of where airships were moored when they were relevant, trains weren’t the only things unfortunately phased out by planes. Here’s 2 pictures:
image.jpeg.e9fd5d10196874e467ba2e8e6f2fdacf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4f0607443f75fa560870ef16239bfb4d.jpeg

Don't think planes were entirely to blame for these being phased own. Their penchant for bursting into flames would have to be a contributing factor.....

2 hours ago, Broithe said:

I took a short cut just now and nearly got caught out...

DSC_0407.thumb.JPG.068896b8f74f549a2ab8c70d0a27f94e.JPG

... luckily, though, I was turning left at the end.

Didn't you call "Lovely Rita Meter Maid" no respect there for double yellow lines or parking on pavements

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ironroad said:

Didn't you call "Lovely Rita Meter Maid" no respect there for double yellow lines or parking on pavements

Nobody posh was inconvenienced, therefore no response would be forthcoming. It's been like that for the whole of this century.

Parking on footpaths is, outside London, not actually a specific offence in itself in England and Wales, although there is talk of extending the regulation to the country bumpkins. This would be a bit of an issue as, for example, only about half a mile away, there are signs telling you to park half on the path*...

As with many things on the Big Island, it's all a bit mad, Ted.

Whilst you could, in very extreme circumstances, be done for obstructing the highway, you would need to be obstructing somebody that matters. However, driving on the footpath is an offence - so, how else did you manage to park there, etc..?

You just have to know, or guess, what is actually allowed.

* E.g. - Here - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.8120785,-2.1109126,3a,27.5y,110.64h,84.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSbdpG3nsUNePHKaFiiIDDA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

38 minutes ago, Broithe said:

Nobody posh was inconvenienced, therefore no response would be forthcoming. It's been like that for the whole of this century.

Parking on footpaths is, outside London, not actually a specific offence in itself in England and Wales, although there is talk of extending the regulation to the country bumpkins. This would be a bit of an issue as, for example, only about half a mile away, there are signs telling you to park half on the path*...

As with many things on the Big Island, it's all a bit mad, Ted.

Whilst you could, in very extreme circumstances, be done for obstructing the highway, you would need to be obstructing somebody that matters. However, driving on the footpath is an offence - so, how else did you manage to park there, etc..?

You just have to know, or guess, what is actually allowed.

* E.g. - Here - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.8120785,-2.1109126,3a,27.5y,110.64h,84.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSbdpG3nsUNePHKaFiiIDDA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

Sounds "Irish" but for once it isn't, very strange

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Is it allowed in the street where Johnston Cameron-Mogg lives?

See the note above about inconveniencing posh people.

That's how the place works - you need to know what is supposed to have been done, who is supposed to have done it and who it is supposed to have been done to - a competent assessment of those details will provide a clear prediction of the response of those paid to do the enforcement.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Broithe said:

See the note above about inconveniencing posh people.

That's how the place works - you need to know what is supposed to have been done, who is supposed to have done it and who it is supposed to have been done to - a competent assessment of those details will provide a clear prediction of the response of those paid to do the enforcement.

so Rita has been made redundant

• Like 1