THE FLYING SNAIL LOGO....

Rate this question

burnthebox

Question

5 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I'd be interested to see a pic of "Naomh Eanna" with a snail - when I saw it years ago it didn't have one then, nor in any pic I saw - unless it had one when new?  I had forgotten to mention the cruisers at all above....

Makes me wonder now - I wonder did CIE have any delivery bicycles in small towns, like the GNR did?

Never heard of CIE having bicycles, apart from the inspection type.

17 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Never heard of CIE having bicycles, apart from the inspection type.

Indeed - nor did I, though I couldn't help wondering. Senior used to mention an oul boy in Enniskillen who took small parcels from the station round the town - I suspect he was probably one of the porter staff.

Hi BTB - the first is one of Cyril Fry's of A19 and a van in the old Limerick / Waterford bay at Limerick Junction. It will appear in a forthcoming book (if we ever get out of the virus "internment"!). The older lower height of GSWR platforms is evident (Mallow was still like this well into the 1980s).

The second pic is from a 1947 CIE magazine showing a GSR truck recently repainted into CIE green. It is taken at the RDS where it is delivering cattle for the Spring Show.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Lim

29 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Hi BTB - the first is one of Cyril Fry's of A19 and a van in the old Limerick / Waterford bay at Limerick Junction. It will appear in a forthcoming book (if we ever get out of the virus "internment"!). The older lower height of GSWR platforms is evident (Mallow was still like this well into the 1980s).

The second pic is from a 1947 CIE magazine showing a GSR truck recently repainted into CIE green. It is taken at the RDS where it is delivering cattle for the Spring Show.

Great shot of green A with a single wagon. Limerick Junction was one of the strangest setup stations in the country. Half it seemed to be missing until recently when they finally saw sense and put a platform the other side of the main line. The weird former scissors crossing arrangement with the incredibly long platform seemed operationally weird. Waterford trains had to do some strange manoeuvres to get into its platform behind the station. The new arrangements should allow trains to arrive from dublin and cork simultaneously and allow connections to limerick without the traditional wait out in the cold.

• Like 1

Hi all & many thanks, now forgive my ignorance on these matters but I have to say I do not understand the connection between a railway platform sign & a symbol for a railway system been portrayed on a vehicle in a Left or a Right facing position...if this is political then please just it’s political end off.....

BTB

On 4/23/2020 at 12:19 PM, jhb171achill said:

That about sums it up, NIR, more concisely that I have! Yes, exactly. On such vehicles, whichever side you looked at, it was always pointing forward.

If that was the underlying policy it also explains why snails may have been improperly reversed on some railcars, single driving ends could very easily have been assumed to have a single direction of travel.

Edited by NIR

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

SECOND PICTURE - I very much doubt this picture was taken at the RDS! If my ageing old eyed are functioning , there is an aircraft in this picture and it is behind the lorry!  To my knowledge no aircraft landing facilities existed anywhere close to the RDS Sidings,  Ballsbridge. 

10 minutes ago, Old Blarney said:

SECOND PICTURE - I very much doubt this picture was taken at the RDS! If my ageing old eyed are functioning , there is an aircraft in this picture and it is behind the lorry!  To my knowledge no aircraft landing facilities existed anywhere close to the RDS Sidings,  Ballsbridge. 

I fished out the magazine, Old Blarney. The journey was from Dublin Airport to the RDS, so it might be at the start, rather than the end of the journey. The "headline" issue was the idea of taking livestock by PLANE! I suspect it may have been conducted as an experiment of some sort.

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

I fished out the magazine, Old Blarney. The journey was from Dublin Airport to the RDS, so it might be at the start, rather than the end of the journey. The "headline" issue was the idea of taking livestock by PLANE! I suspect it may have been conducted as an experiment of some sort.

John,

Thank you for clarifying this situation. I have re-read my post, on doing so, I apologise if my tone appeared to be somewhat discourteous. It was not intended to be so." The "headline" issue was the idea of taking livestock by PLANE! I suspect it may have been conducted as an experiment of some sort." Just as well it was Cattle and not Pigs then!

I would dearly like to know the make of the Tractor Unit? Was this the one designed by your Father? Hope you and your Team are keeping safe in these times which are extremely challenging for many people. 

Thank you for Fishing out the Magazine,

David.

Edited by Old Blarney

1 minute ago, Old Blarney said:

John,

Thank you for clarifying this situation. I have re-read my post, on doing so, I apologise if my tone appeared to be somewhat discourteous. It was not intended to be so." The "headline" issue was the idea of taking livestock by PLANE! I suspect it may have been conducted as an experiment of some sort." Just as well it were Cattle and not Pigs then!

I would dearly like to know the make of the Tractor Unit? Was this the one designed by your Father? Hope you and your Team are keeping safe in these times which are extremely challenging for many people. 

Thank you for Fishing out the Magazine,

David.

Not at all discourteous, David!

Yes, my grandfather designed these things to carry cattle after the Killala, Achill and Clifden lines closed. I put a drawing of it in the Achill book and the same one is going in the Clifden book, as it's relevant there too.

I had never seen a photo of one before. It is, as far as I know, the only road vehicle he did any design work for - such matters were around that time all transferred to the "road people" in Broadstone. All I know is that they initially built four, with presumably more to follow later. I think, but am not sure, that it had a Leyland engine.

8 minutes ago, burnthebox said:

HI & THANKS FOR THAT MINISTER, NOW THATS MY OTHER HOBBY, BUT IS THAT SNAIL FACING THE WRONG WAY...!!
BTB 

PS CANNOT MAKE OUT THAT REG...!

Snail is right way, BTB. Registration appears to be HZC 542.

2 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

FB_IMG_1587981544133.jpg

Interesting, Minister! Never saw a pic of one of those before. Any ideas what they used it for?

3 hours ago, burnthebox said:

Thanks JHB for that, I was interested in finding out what that reg was and I tried that reg to see if I could find out what that machine was, I think it’s a  BSA...!  
BTB

I defer to your superior knowledge, BTB - I know not the first thing about motor bikes!

2 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

I think it may have been used for small parcels within Dublin city centre.

I wonder did the all-encompassing green paint extend to it!