Photo of Class 121 in Kilmacthomas

Rate this topic

Wexford70

3 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

The GNR wagon behind it is a long way from home! 

Leslie does a GN van that looks similar if not the same. All it would need is a flying snail decal and an n after he number. I wouldn't like to be the poor soul who had to service those signal lamps. The ladder alone looks precarious not to mention being located on the bridge. 

1 hour ago, patrick said:

Leslie does a GN van that looks similar if not the same. All it would need is a flying snail decal and an n after he number. I wouldn't like to be the poor soul who had to service those signal lamps. The ladder alone looks precarious not to mention being located on the bridge. 

The second van is a standard CIE one - so Leslie does the exact one there!

I love the BW Beetle presumably delivering milk to the creamery, the Mercedes and green sports car evidence of 1960s rural prosperity.

My mother and father were invited to a wedding in Ballinasloe around the same time and were totally taken aback by the signs of my fathers farming cousins prosperity, flash cars, high fashion and extravagant hospitality.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, DiveController said:

Amazing photograph, this is what we need to be modeling. Unmistakably Irish!

Kilmacthomas would make an excellent scenic and operational layout, with the river, town and the railway structures against the backdrop of the Comeragh Mountains. Goods traffic appears to have been quite heavy with a small goods yard at the station and the Fair Green siding which connected to the main line on a ridge between the two viaducts. Flavahan's appear to have been the biggest shipper their porridge by rail!

The signal box, crossing loop and a short siding was retained at Kilmacthomas when the line was re-opened for Quigley Magnesite traffic in the early 70s until final closure in 82?

The Dolomite trains from Bennetts Bridge to Ballinacourthy were the heaviest in Ireland up to the start of Tara Mines traffic in the late 70s, two trains daily in each direction 20 wagon rakes of 4w hopper wagons (same as IRM model) worked by pairs of B141/181 diesels. The daily Tivoli-Ballinacourthy Magnesite  & oil train was regularly hauled by a single 001 Class hauling a mixed rake of covered magnesite hoppers and tank wagons.

In steam days Woolwich Moguls worked the trice-weekly Cork-Rosslare Express with a small wheeled Coey 333 Class 4-4-0 working the Daily Cork-Waterford Passenger & the 101 or J15 Class the goods. B101 Class took over passenger & possibly goods workings until replaced by B121 & B141 Class and A Class before the 1967 closure of the line.

• Informative 2

I have often thought that an N scale model of the Ballinacourty line during the Quigley magnasite  era would make an interesting model railway. Between the many viaducts and the Quigley plant OO scale would require a huge space. It would still require a large space in N scale but it may even be possible to incorporate the Suit bridge. A double deck railway may be the way to go. A big disadvantage is the limited variety of traffic but one can scheme and dream.

Edited by patrick
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 1:42 AM, patrick said:

I have often thought that an N scale model of the Ballinacourty line during the Quigley magnasite  era would make an interesting model railway.......   ........ but one can scheme and dream.

That’s the beauty of model railways! We can create a scene with scenery so realistic it looks like it’s growing, and models with detail so historically accurate that the very fussiest rivet counter would be reaching for his smelling salts - but it’s a fictitious location, or it has highly accurate-looking cattle trains where none existed.

If the last few stones’ throws had been retained, Dungarvan could have remained linked. So your layout could be based on Kilmac or somewhere, or even a Dungarvan terminus (the way Kilkenny ended up), with the magnesite, but also two passenger trains a day and goods trains. Depending on whether you were concentrating on 1967-75 or later, you’ve scope for cattle specials, or a container, cement or fert from Waterford to Dungarvan.....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, K801 said:

is that a Sulzer or A class around 6.10 with a C class in tow?

It looks like a Sulzer hauling a C Class, there was speculation on a earlier thread whether the C had broken down and the B101 had rescued the train.

My theory is that the C is being hauled to Dungarvan to shunt the yard and return with a goods to Waterford. 

Its doubtful a C would have been up to hauling and stopping a heavy goods train on the steeply graded and sharply curved Waterford-Dungarvan section.

At the time there was a one daily goods in each direction between Waterford & Mallow and a daily out and back Waterford-Dungarvan Goods.