MK2 A liveries

Rate this question

irishthump

Question

Guys,

I have a few BR Mk2's I want to repaint and I was wondering about appropriate liveries.

I know that IE bought some of these coaches around 1990 which were painted in the orange-with-2-white-stripes

livery. I'm wondering did CIE ever run any MK2's coaches in Black and Tan in the 60/70/80's?

27 answers to this question

Guys,

I have a few BR Mk2's I want to repaint and I was wondering about appropriate liveries.

I know that IE bought some of these coaches around 1990 which were painted in the orange-with-2-white-stripes

livery. I'm wondering did CIE ever run any MK2's coaches in Black and Tan in the 60/70/80's?

They were bought second hand in the late 80s or early 90s from a scrap dealer in the UK (Vic Berry, who cut up some C Classes over there) so did not appear in Black and Tan. IR with the white stripes would've been the first livery.

You could paint them in the livery carried by the new Enterprise loco-hauled sets when they were introduced in 1970. This was maroon and blue separated by a thin white stripe. See the video 'Testing the Helix' in post #28 of the Kirley Junction thread in Irish Layouts. It would be quite acceptable to run these alongside CIÉ stock in Black & Tan and even the original MkIId livery. Of course you really should haul the Enterprise stock with a Hunslet but you could imagine that it ha failed and a CIÉ loco was substituted.

You could paint them in the livery carried by the new Enterprise loco-hauled sets when they were introduced in 1970. This was maroon and blue separated by a thin white stripe. See the video 'Testing the Helix' in post #28 of the Kirley Junction thread in Irish Layouts. It would be quite acceptable to run these alongside CIÉ stock in Black & Tan and even the original MkIId livery. Of course you really should haul the Enterprise stock with a Hunslet but you could imagine that it ha failed and a CIÉ loco was substituted.

Good call, the Enterprise livery looks good, would be close to the mark and Silverfox are currently doing Hunslets. Something a bit different to add to your loco roster in time.

I'd go along with the lads and paint them in the Enterprise colors. I know that a lot of people run different rtr stock from different eras and it can be great fun. I think creating a fictitious livery is a bit pointless if it didn't exist. I hope to see some photos of your finished models and fair play for having a go, good luck.

Rich,

To Conor,

Yes and no :)

The MkIId air cons were acquired new, first, but the MkIIa coaches were acquired later, secondhand. So the newer air cons were in Irish service earlier than the older non-aircon MkIIa coaches.

Confused yet? I know I was...

-Rob

Edited by Robert Davies
Clarity(!)

Cracking video that! Thanks DJ for finding it again for me - I've watched it a few times in the past, and lost it again! - oh and cheers to Bos for embedding it, 'bout time he did something around the place :P Kidding!!!!

A feel a request coming on...

Dear Paddy Murphy,

Can I have an A class please?

-Rob

Aged 47 and a quarter.

Cracking video that! Thanks DJ for finding it again for me - I've watched it a few times in the past, and lost it again! - oh and cheers to Bos for embedding it, 'bout time he did something around the place :P Kidding!!!!

A feel a request coming on...

Dear Paddy Murphy,

Can I have an A class please?

-Rob

Aged 47 and a quarter.

agree with you robert that is one of my favourite vids ever seen on the site. as for the request for an A class, i would happliy sell the kids and throw the mother-in-law in as a sweetener (shes good for protecting the house...dont have a guard dog and her voice sounds as good as a bad one!) if someone would produce one. one thing for sure - i will not be buying any more metro vics, A or C's...got stung with the lima 201s and i dont want that to happen again!! so be sure to put a stamp on that letter to paddy:)