IRISH NARROW GAUGE RAILWAY ALBUM (Michael Whitehouse)

Rate this topic

leslie10646

This new book has 224 pages. 275x215mm. Printed on gloss art paper, casebound with printed board covers. Unlike his previous two narrow gauge albums which covered the whole of the British Isles, this is solely IRISH NARROW GAUGE and of black and white photographs.

So you can sit back and in the company of Michael Whitehouse, who has once again delved deep into the family archive established by his late father P.B. ‘Pat’ Whitehouse, which includes the work of many other well-known names such as W. ‘Cam’ Camwell, Henry Casserley, A.W. Croughton and Ron Jarvis, revel in the joys of a visit spanning the fifty year period from circa 1910 to around 1960 and mostly to the remoter parts of the country.

The Syndicate will be selling this book by post, profits to Irish Preservation, as always (No.171's new tubes in particular).

£25    UK only  plus a token £1.50 for post and packing

I'm sorry that I can't supply to the Republic, as the postage is almost as much as the book! I'm seeking a way round this impasse!

I'll put up a sample page or two when they arrive.

PM me, or e-mail me if interested.

Leslie (Provincial Wagons and The Syndicate)

Just a thought, if you're buying a pile of kits from me, I can put everything in the same box and save on the criminal postage!

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 2

Yes, I have to agree that their spelling of Carndonagh was entertaining - made more amusing today as I have a young man who went to school in Buncrana fitting my new heating boiler!

The perils of modern spell-checkers are probably to blame, I suspect.

AOL regularly changes PETTIGO FAIR (house name, remember) to Pettifog Fair

Edited by leslie10646
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Yes, I have to agree that their spelling of Carndonagh was entertaining - made more amusing today as I have a young man who went to school in Buncrana fitting my new heating boiler!

The perils of modern spell-checkers are probably to blame, I suspect.

AOL regularly changes PETTIGO FAIR (house name, remember) to Pettifog Fair

In the early days of "home computers" (as opposed to things the size of an "H" van with a 2.3 byte memory in WORKplaces), I was sending one of my first ever emails to the then RPSI Chairman, Sullivan Boomer.

OK, both an unusual Christian name and surname both, but the auto-spellcheck-correct-thing advised me that it wanted to send it to:

"Sultan Bomber".

I advised WSB of this!

• Funny 3

On 10/11/2020 at 3:15 PM, Patrick Davey said:

Hi Leslie - any County Antrim NG in the book?

Hope you have fully recovered from your recent mishap!

Patrick

There is a chapter entitled Narrow Gauge Compounds so we can assume the Ballycastle; and The Boat Train - Ballymena and Larne.

Hope that makes the content clearer?

Leslie

40 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Patrick

There is a chapter entitled Narrow Gauge Compounds so we can assume the Ballycastle; and The Boat Train - Ballymena and Larne.

Hope that makes the content clearer?

Leslie

Just what I expected as the Jarvis brothers visited the NCC Narrow Gauge lines in 1939. Looking forward to see some new Donegal and Swilly photos as well. We can hope for some new photos!

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

Yes - would be keen to hear from the connoisseurs re just how much fresh material is in here. Ballydehob viaduct is lovely but it’s a photo that has appeared fairly widely. 

I suspect that there will be a lot of stuff seen before, I'll be able to tell when I see the book - due on 26 November, by the way.

The two views on the publisher's website are one old, one new - to me at least! 

The big difference will be in the way they are printed. Lightmoor are right at the top of today's publishers for quality - the dull prints of yesteryear are a thing of the past - these will delight, if I'm any judge.

• Like 1

I can only presume that the trip recorded in the photos took place between 1937 and 1949? The Republic is clearly recognised in the heading to Part 1 so I can only assume that the choice of words is deliberate.

Intriguingly an LMS Jubilee class loco was originally named ‘Irish Free State’ and then quickly changed to ‘Eire’ after Dev’s change. It still bore that name right through to scrapping despite Costello’s declaration in 49.

Mind you, mistakes do happen in these books. Colin Boocock’s lovely ‘Irish Railway Album’ includes a nice 1950s shot from inside the cab of SLNC ‘Sir Henry’ at Glenfarne heading to Sligo- but is described as ‘facing the border with Eire’ so wrong on several counts !

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

The Cork Blackrock and Passage Railway is one I can't wait to see what other photos there are of this line, I hope they have some photos of the carriages as I am trying to find out what some of them looked like, I hope I can convince Worsley works to update thier basic CB&PR coach kit.

Also if there are new photos of the Cork and Muskerry that would help modelling wise, I happen to like Photo albums as they give so much more information about a time and place that is now lost to us all.

Regarding sales in the republic, I wonder if someone like the Donegal lads would take a bulk purchase.

Colin Rainsbury

PS put me down for one

Edited by Colin R
addition text
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Colin Boocock’s lovely ‘Irish Railway Album’ includes a nice 1950s shot from inside the cab of SLNC ‘Sir Henry’ at Glenfarne heading to Sligo- but is described as ‘facing the border with Eire’ so wrong on several counts !

Double cringe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recall, on an RPSI May Tour in the 1990s, I was doing the (crowded!) bar the whole weekend. At the counter, a crowd of the usual suspects were waxing lyrical with all the bar-room intellectualism that accompanies such scenes. One well-known bar-room bore, who will remain nameless, was regaling several of our English visitors with various "wisdom".... talk was of "LONDONderry", "Eire", and a long discussion took place among them about the exact spot at which we entered a "foreign country" at the border, and precisely where it was.

Now, I'm the only sober one among them - I'm working! They're all poleaxed. I'm bored, but perversely curious as to what would come next.

Our attention-seeking bar-room intellectual was eventually silenced, and politely advised that he was speaking from, let us say, an opening not normally used for speech - by one of the English guys on the tour! Hilarious stuff........and no, I don't remember what livery the dining car was at that time!

But yes, I pored over that book in class in school, when I should have been listening to French verbs; stuff about the capitals of European countries; the history of...some boring old stuff about wars....; the economy of Canada and the USA; genitive, perfect, imperfect and pluperfect tenses; the scribblings of Wordsworth; the main points of a map of the route of the River Rhine; calculus, sines and cosines and algebra...........

Not a word about railways, of course, in any of that oul guff, as I saw it back then!

But Boocock's images of a filthy "C" class in Wisht Caaark, boy, with a couple of 1880s six-wheelers behind it, or some of his atmospheric Donegal and Sligo-Leitrim images....YES!

• Funny 3

4 minutes ago, NIR said:

You still occasionally hear of 'Southern Ireland', like that ever happened

Indeed; genuinely, as one who has travelled on almost every "May Tour" since 1978, and worked on them all since 1984, I've overheard and been party to all the variations of knowledge and / or curiosity of our esteemed visitors from our neighbouring island.....

(Many, of course, are SO much regulars now, they're genuine, good and lasting friends, not just "passengers"!)

But I still C R I N G E at the utterly ghastly label given to this annual tour as the "International" Railtour. C'mon, lads, get a grip. It hasn't scaled the Andes, had 171 speeding across the Nullarbor Plain, or had a side trip to Darjeeling or the Harz system yet, and No. 4 has yet to see a Norfolk Southern goods yard. Good old 186 has never ascended the Devils Nose, nor had a photo-op hooked up to the Blue Train in De Aar. No. 461 hasn't crossed Glenfinnan Viaduct or rolled into Zurich Hauptbanhhof yet, and with the covid an'all, that's not going to happen any time soon.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Getting back to topic ......

Yawn.......

1133340178_Scan3.thumb.jpeg.71beb68ea21aba1722ef69eac7d8284a.jpeg

There is a great pile of the Book in my hallway - I've been through it - I only recollect about half of the shots, I haven't bothered with the verbiage, but can attest that you will not have seen these photos so beautifully reproduced before.

Rather too much on the Monorail (but gloriously reproduced Lawrence photos), but otherwise pretty good - and YES, Patrick the Co. Antrim narrow gauge is well represented. Plenty of nice stuff in Donegal, both CDRJC and LLSWR, over thirty pages of the C&L.....

Available from The Syndicate (ie PM me!). Now that I've weighed the book (1.4Kg) and nearly had a heart attack - I must ask a little for postage and packing - say 5%, so £26.25 to UK addresses. If you've already paid me, I'll stick to my original deal.

Obviously, if you're in the Republic (if THAT politically correct??), I will post to a relative, or friend in the UK and leave you to arrange a handover.

If you're narrow-minded (pun definitely intended) this is the Irish book for you!

Leslie

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What can you say? Mine arrived today and this gets a 5 Star rating for all aspects. Superb photos including many pre WW2 and as usual superb reproduction of vintage photos by Lightmoor Press. Essential for all lovers of Irish Railways not just fans of the Irish Narrow Gauge. Thanks Leslie and 5 out 5 for quality of packaging as well. Buy a copy and enjoy what will be a classic book!

• Like 2

Thanks, Jim and Ernie, for the positive comments. Glad you are enjoying it. And thanks, too, for the support from a bunch of you - the pile I had has gone and I'm reordering!

Like Ernie, I was relieved / surprised at how FEW of Henry Casserley's photos were in the book. Especially as Michael Whitehouse's Dad (Patrick of Railway Roundabout fame) would have known Henry well.  God Bless A W Croughton for the wonderful images he took - they certainly were new.

Still available from The Syndicate to the UK at £25 plus a token £1.50 towards post and packing - sorry to now move to charging a little for packing / posting a book which WEIGHS 1.4Kg and needs decent packing!

As I reminded you above, if ordering kits from me, I can pack book and kits together and usually save on postage to you. Sneaked a couple of bread containers into one customer's book pack!

Leslie

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2020 at 3:06 PM, Irishswissernie said:

Mine arrived today as well.  Excellent and very securely packaged. A quick perusal reveals only 3 Casserley views much to my relief as I have just used my Funeral Fund to purchase more Casserley negatives including a fair number of County Donegal and Lough Swilly originals at last Saturdays Auction. 

Sounds like a new Donegal book is in the making for both railways, it appears that these railways are finding there feet when it comes to publicity, the modelling charm of both Donegal railways does not fade and any new photo albums that come along with photos about both lines I have not seen before, will alway be welcome.

Colin R 

The Donegal Railway Heritage Centre has published 3 new books on the CDR since 2017. The Heritage Centre has its main focus on Drumboe in the early part of 2021. Gathering a lot of material on the Swilly at the moment myself for another project in addition to Strabane. Narrow Gauge Steam 2 by Kelsey publishing due out in a few days has 3 Irish NG articles in total.

• Like 1