Might have been in the livery department

Rate this topic

Robert Shrives

2 hours ago, Niles said:

The NOHAB is inspired... quite possibly what they should have gone with back in the 50s.

A Nohab is certainly a possibility NOHAB tendered to supply locos to the GNR (I) during the 1950s possibly its standard European and North African GM powered design.

The proposal was for a GM powered A1A A1A which was too long to fit the Dundalk Works traverser.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 23/1/2021 at 9:26 PM, murphaph said:

It's a real pity the 201 wasn't ever given the tippex treatment. Would have looked great.

Well yes the livery the prototype was given was a mistake and a botch job not matching the existing corporate branding or existing coaching stock at the time. A failed attempt to bring the mountain to Mohammed was made with the hideous and failed galway livery on coaches. No doubt a branding consultant was paid handsomely to convince CIE at the time to go for the confused botch livery. Aside from the boring shape of the prototype that confused orange yellow and black livery is one of the reasons I didn’t particularly like the prototype until it was redeemed with its current intercity green and grey livery that at least matched the coaching stock it hauls. A similar mistake was made by British Airways about 25 years ago with its colourful ethnic tail livery replacing the BA Speed bird corporate union flag logo on the vertical tail fin.

Consultants and focus groups can regularly confuse common sense in marketing. BA reverted back to original scheme after an angry uk PM covered the tail of a model at a trade show with a handkerchief. I did like the retro BOAC livery they repainted some 747s in latter years before they took all their 747s out of service, like the Aer Lingus A220 in its legacy 1960s ‘Aer Lingus Irish’ green stripes on tail livery.

the NOHAB in CIE Black and Tan looked interesting.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

I particularly like the 071 in black’n’tan. If delivered just four years earlier, they’d have had it!

I might respray one of my 071s in B&T just for the fun of it, or better still my sole 201 model which is in that ghastly orange and yellow livery.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Noel said:

Well yes the livery the prototype was given was a mistake and a botch job not matching the existing corporate branding or existing coaching stock at the time. A failed attempt to bring the mountain to Mohammed was made with the hideous and failed galway livery on coaches. No doubt a branding consultant was paid handsomely to convince CIE at the time to go for the confused botch livery. Aside from the boring shape of the prototype that confused orange yellow and black livery is one of the reasons I didn’t particularly like the prototype until it was redeemed with its current intercity green and grey livery that at least matched the coaching stock it hauls. A similar mistake was made by British Airways about 25 years ago with its colourful ethnic tail livery replacing the BA Speed bird corporate union flag logo on the vertical tail fin.

Consultants and focus groups can regularly confuse common sense in marketing. BA reverted back to original scheme after an angry uk PM covered the tail of a model at a trade show with a handkerchief. I did like the retro BOAC livery they repainted some 747s in latter years before they took all their 747s out of service, like the Aer Lingus A220 in its legacy 1960s ‘Aer Lingus Irish’ green stripes on tail livery.

the NOHAB in CIE Black and Tan looked interesting.

Oh come on! The 201's were gorgeous when delivered.

The only flaw in the Galway livery was that it wasn't a continuous black and yellow stripe the full length of the coaches. The upwards angle at the ends looked wierd, but that could have been rectified.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Mayner said:

A Nohab is certainly a possibility NOHAB tendered to supply locos to the GNR (I) during the 1950s possibly its standard European and North African GM powered design.

The proposal was for a GM powered A1A A1A which was too long to fit the Dundalk Works traverser.

Hmmm... I've been looking for an excuse to get one. 🤔

5 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Oh come on! The 201's were gorgeous when delivered.

Well said that man, I fully agree! :)

5 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I think the 071s were very unlucky to not get this livery Black and tan was easy to maintain and certainly one of if not thee best livery ever by CIE

I mean I like it on 141/181s but I'm not sure about 071s.

• Like 1