J-Mo's Workbench

Rate this topic

J-Mo Arts

40 minutes ago, J-Mo Arts said:

Thanks and will do! 

Those look great! Next time I'll be sure to spray the lining colour first. Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought about trimming the edge of the tape, I'll keep that in mind :)

Of course you could always use Railtec Eau de nil transfers. My coaches are post 1955 green but the colour would be similar to the ones you have. They also come with an optional high line and running numbers if necessary

778BFF61-766D-4038-ACAC-ED5FC7E61CE6.thumb.jpeg.8f748ea4e2900e080496e45f40a4ccd5.jpeg5026AFEE-3E1F-4453-B377-E90B05796F22.thumb.jpeg.bf22e9aff3e0a33d69bbcb2aae6c95f5.jpeg

(Ignore the fact to fit then entire rake on the table that last one is teetering from death)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Of course you could always use Railtec Eau de nil transfers. My coaches are post 1955 green but the colour would be similar to the ones you have. They also come with an optional high line and running numbers if necessary

778BFF61-766D-4038-ACAC-ED5FC7E61CE6.thumb.jpeg.8f748ea4e2900e080496e45f40a4ccd5.jpeg5026AFEE-3E1F-4453-B377-E90B05796F22.thumb.jpeg.bf22e9aff3e0a33d69bbcb2aae6c95f5.jpeg

(Ignore the fact to fit then entire rake on the table that last one is teetering from death)

A 6 coach train is impressive, I don't that'd even fit on my layout properly! I'm hoping to finish my stock off to run on a club layout. I hope it'll turn some heads at upcoming exhibitions! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-Mo Arts said:

A 6 coach train is impressive, I don't that'd even fit on my layout properly! I'm hoping to finish my stock off to run on a club layout. I hope it'll turn some heads at upcoming exhibitions! 

I was selling those coaches and the buyer wanted a good look at them….no decent table meant it ended up like that….

the lack of “flying snail esque” coaching stock in circulation at the moment means these coaches get much attention! Even if (at least my ones are) pretty basic BR mk 1 conversions 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

the lack of “flying snail esque” coaching stock in circulation at the moment means these coaches get much attention! Even if (at least my ones are) pretty basic BR mk 1 conversions 

Exactly like mine then! ;)

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I was selling those coaches and the buyer wanted a good look at them….no decent table meant it ended up like that….

22 minutes ago, J-Mo Arts said:

Exactly like mine then! ;)

Have a look at the cheap ratio kits of LMS era coaches. While they've bowed-in ends, unseen on Irish railways other than 9a few) on the WLWR, they look good enough when green - or better still the old second hand Triang Hornby GWR ones you get the odd time on fleebay. I bought three of them for about €15.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Have a look at the cheap ratio kits of LMS era coaches. While they've bowed-in ends, unseen on Irish railways other than 9a few) on the WLWR, they look good enough when green - or better still the old second hand Triang Hornby GWR ones you get the odd time on fleebay. I bought three of them for about €15.

I’m looking at them keenly alright. I have enough transfers and paint left for 2 more coaches. Assuming the kits are easy to produce 

my first every project was those old GWR coaches. Both have snails the wrong way round on one side, my application of the transfer was terrible…but indeed they don’t look to bad

they would probobly look better and more suited to the pre-55 green

953F5766-10DA-435A-A63D-885ECF607A39.thumb.jpeg.4ce2022eac17c6142aa959dee8474bad.jpeg

• Like 3

That snail is the right way round, ok - if slightly large....nothing to worry about! The only things that had snails the OTHER way round were the driver's side of road vehicles, and the same side on steam loco tenders. Absolutely everything else had them as on your model - and yes, that's exactly the coaches I meant, though I'm replacing the roofs to eliminate the clerestorey sections, which will make them that bit more GSWR-esque....

10 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

No need to worry about long trains on a Wisht Caark layout! Lines in that area had passenger trains of one coach and a tin van or (in steam days) a six-wheel passenger brake; even the main line would have two or three max plus the obligitary tin van. You've enough coaches there for four trains - two x 2-coach and two x 1-coach - but you need four tin vans at least!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

On 17/7/2022 at 11:51 PM, jhb171achill said:

That snail is the right way round, ok - if slightly large....nothing to worry about! The only things that had snails the OTHER way round were the driver's side of road vehicles, and the same side on steam loco tenders. Absolutely everything else had them as on your model - and yes, that's exactly the coaches I meant, though I'm replacing the roofs to eliminate the clerestorey sections, which will make them that bit more GSWR-esque....

No need to worry about long trains on a Wisht Caark layout! Lines in that area had passenger trains of one coach and a tin van or (in steam days) a six-wheel passenger brake; even the main line would have two or three max plus the obligitary tin van. You've enough coaches there for four trains - two x 2-coach and two x 1-coach - but you need four tin vans at least!

As I said…i sold the entire rake as it was a commission for someone else….would have been comical to see a 6 coach rake on the West Cork in those days 

on both sides of the coach the snail is facing the driver unfortunately. However for a first ever rake of coaches there ok! Perhaps I’ll try again with another few coaches and correct my previous errors… (smaller EDN snails that are all facing the correct direction are available) the only locos I have to haul the stock anyway is a bodged together Ex-CB&CSR 479 and GSR 475

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

As I said…i sold the entire rake as it was a commission for someone else….would have been comical to see a 6 coach rake on the West Cork in those days 

on both sides of the coach the snail is facing the driver unfortunately. However for a first ever rake of coaches there ok! Perhaps I’ll try again with another few coaches and correct my previous errors… (smaller EDN snails that are all facing the correct direction are available) the only locos I have to haul the stock anyway is a bodged together Ex-CB&CSR 479 and GSR 475

Not a bad oul start, to be fair!

The mogul is pretty much finished:

IMG-20220725-WA0033.jpg

Of course I've only just realised that the windows are still masked 🤦‍♂️

I presumed 388 would be in this livery before or after the red lining was removed, I may be totally wrong but I don't think many people at local exhibitions will know any better. 

There are parts that are wrong, I couldn't face hacking off the smoke deflector bracket bits and the BR numberplate still has a shadow, but overall I'm really pleased with this loco and I can't wait to finish all the coaches.

Posed on a friend's layout.

IMG-20220725-WA0032.jpg

Edited by J-Mo Arts
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, J-Mo Arts said:

The mogul is pretty much finished:

IMG-20220725-WA0033.jpg

Of course I've only just realised that the windows are still masked 🤦‍♂️

I presumed 388 would be in this livery before or after the red lining was removed, I may be totally wrong but I don't think many people at local exhibitions will know any better. 

There are parts that are wrong, I couldn't face hacking off the smoke deflector bracket bits and the BR numberplate still has a shadow, but overall I'm really pleased with this loco and I can't wait to finish all the coaches.

Posed on a friend's layout.

IMG-20220725-WA0032.jpg

With a bit of careful engineering, one could make an arguably better representation of the prototype of the loco and coaches in terms of livery then that of the ones PM made all those years ago 

• Agree 1

Looks great, J-Mo.

You ask about the red lining.

After late 1945, CIE started painting these locos in the lined green livery, but some remained grey (the black livery was a decade ahead). The one which received the one-off (and short-lived) LINED green livery will have been either grey or lined green prior to that - I am not sure which in this particular case.

Locos which were in unlined black were those that were repainted after approximately 1955.

Regarding the "flying snail" - in a similar manner to SOME but not all A & C classes in the 1960s having the yellow patch on the ends, and some but not all locos in the days of the "tippex" livery having day-glo patches on the ends, some steam loco tenders had the "snail" on them, but some didn't. Perusal of photographs suggest that the majority did - but not all.

And, as per your model, snails were always the pale green, as they were the same transfers put on buses. Never yellow; this is a consequence of the RPSI's incorrect painting of the tenders of 184 and 461 in the 1990s!

• 3 months later...

Right, moving to here from the British loco conversion thread... 

Following the Cultra exhibition and the Hattons 6 wheeler announcement, I have been trawling the Internet looking for another Irish project, preferably one which can use a RTR chassis. At first I considered 850 using an LNER V1/V3 chassis, but the chassis just wasn't close enough for me to be happy with it. 

unknown.png

Then I saw 670, and the chassis looked similar enough to a GNR/LNER N2, which I conveniently have one of currently doing nothing...

LOS66754.jpg

A quick conflab with @Westcorkrailway and @jhb171achill gave me a set of drawings and confirmation that the chassis isn't too far off. Close enough for me, anyway! Jhb- you mentioned in the other thread that these locos carried lined green, which I much prefer to plain grey-could I ask what the colour of the number would have been and do you know where I might find appropriate lining transfers? 

This is likely to be a project for the new year, but it doesn't hurt to plan ahead! I'd be happy to sell prints of the body to anyone interested too. 

• Like 1

This looks like it would do:

General white/black/white Lining (fox-transfers.co.uk)

I'd probably paint a thin line of black on the tanks and then use the individual white lining to cover the edge. Plan will be to use the green rattle can I used for my CIE coaches. 

Would this lining set also be useful for MGWR green? My J72 bash will receive that livery, and it's a bit of a large and expensive product for just one loco. 

12 minutes ago, J-Mo Arts said:

I'd probably paint a thin line of black on the tanks and then use the individual white lining to cover the edge. Plan will be to use the green rattle can I used for my CIE coaches. 

Would this lining set also be useful for MGWR green? My J72 bash will receive that livery, and it's a bit of a large and expensive product for just one loco. 

They loook alright if your willing to go mad in the livery department 

I’d recommend contacting the erwitt lodge page in Facebook who made an 850 class 

F8E0F930-F581-4304-9CEA-A18C049BA6C1.jpeg.85a5a4a1323649e630f6d6f5c7f1fc68.jpeg

0C81155B-52E8-4467-9EAF-E5D5CD851272.jpeg.99f34a7ba431a566d52b15562de778c5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, J-Mo Arts said:

That’s what I used for 7mm MGW lining 

AF6E9A1E-A8CE-459B-A062-BF8D4967BDAE.jpeg

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

They loook alright if your willing to go mad in the livery department 

I’d recommend contacting the erwitt lodge page in Facebook who made an 850 class 

F8E0F930-F581-4304-9CEA-A18C049BA6C1.jpeg.85a5a4a1323649e630f6d6f5c7f1fc68.jpeg

0C81155B-52E8-4467-9EAF-E5D5CD851272.jpeg.99f34a7ba431a566d52b15562de778c5.jpeg

Hah, the V1/V3 does work well for that after all... Damn, another project seems to be forming in the back of my head... Thanks, will definitely get in touch with them 

13 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

That’s what I used for 7mm MGW lining 

AF6E9A1E-A8CE-459B-A062-BF8D4967BDAE.jpeg

Thanks, that looks good! 

8 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I think the main issue with the above 850 is the lack of belfaire firebox 

Easily do-able with the 3d printer. What slightly annoys me is the large gap between the middle and rear coupled axles for the firebox, not present on the real 850. Still, beggars can't be choosers and it's a good representation. Perhaps an N class 2-6-0 chassis would be more useful for an accurate 850?

1 hour ago, J-Mo Arts said:

It's what I used on my model of 801.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Gosh, I can't believe it's really been since November that I haven't posted!

To be fair to me, I haven't had much Irish stuff on the go of late, I've been unfortunately distracted by industrial and LBSCR. That being said I absolutely haven't forgotten about the superior railways over the channel ;)

I got to see our own Mr Holman at the Tonbridge show fairly recently, which was nice. I got another play at the controls, which was great fun! 

Seen here is a 009 loco of mine on Chris O'Donoghue's layout at Tonbridge:

IMG_20230218_164203.jpg

• Like 7
  • WOW! 1

18 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

J-Mo heres my 850 starting from a V3 and my Woolwich with a few "tweaks"

With 850 you have to be willing to take the saw to the patient! I was quite brutal!  and did wonder if it would work out OK!  

IMG_5894.JPG

IMG_5890.JPG

IMG_5892.JPG

This are both absolutely fantastic! The 850 conversion definitely looks great, and makes me want to do it even more! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, David Holman said:

Worth noting how the sky is not a uniform blue and changes hue as it nears the horizon.

Like the phone gizmo thingy - does the app have a name and is the same thing possible to doctor a digital photo on a laptop? 

The phone thing is just an edit feature in my gallery/camera roll, I've got a new phone which is a relatively up-to-date android. I'm sure there are apps you could download which give the same effect if you don't have it. It took a little bit of doctoring to get right as the phone struggled to detect the wall behind the layout as sky. Luckily my phone deemed enough wall to be sky-like for me to just crop the image closer to Boxhill.

IMG_20230330_214031.jpg

IMG_20230330_214425.jpg

IMG_20230330_220154.jpg

It's worth noting Blanche is under a real sky, not an edited one!

• Like 3