J-Mo's Workbench

Rate this topic

J-Mo Arts

Current state of play with the Radial bash into GNRI tender loco:

IMG_20220203_190749.jpg

Just plonked on the chassis to realise that the rods hit the bottom of the body, so she'll need to be raised a mm or two and have some false frames made at the front. 

I haven't got round to drawing up the BCDR tank to print for the radial's chassis yet but it's in the queue! 

Edited by J-Mo Arts
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Very nice - although there’s a fair GSWR resemblance going on here too! 

832403F0-D11E-4109-8758-136ED7979C6B.jpeg

Yeah there is isn't there. I like those smokebox doors! Also looks a little like No.54

54-600x364.png

I was tempted to do a GSWR loco but I would like to keep my Irish SG modelling currently to GNR(I) and BCDR so that I don't have to make as many coach rakes to go with them.Saying that I've got a CBSC loco in the works and plans for the DNGR saddle tanks, so I may end up making a generic rake of coaches of the right period. If anyone wishes to complain they can post me some correct carriages! 😋

Perhaps this particular loco was bought 2nd hand from the GSWR... It's a freelance anyway so I can pretty much give it any semi-plausible history. 

• Funny 1

22 minutes ago, J-Mo Arts said:

Yeah there is isn't there. I like those smokebox doors! Also looks a little like No.54

54-600x364.png

I was tempted to do a GSWR loco but I would like to keep my Irish SG modelling currently to GNR(I) and BCDR so that I don't have to make as many coach rakes to go with them.Saying that I've got a CBSC loco in the works and plans for the DNGR saddle tanks, so I may end up making a generic rake of coaches of the right period. If anyone wishes to complain they can post me some correct carriages! 😋

Perhaps this particular loco was bought 2nd hand from the GSWR... It's a freelance anyway so I can pretty much give it any semi-plausible history. 

Which CBSC loco is in the backlog?

26 minutes ago, J-Mo Arts said:

Thanks to @Mike 84C the ill-fated Baldwins! To fit either the Bachmann James or a 3d printed chassis, I'll do two versions. Well, two chassis fits for both original and rebuilt conditions

The baldwins were right awkward yolks, outside cylinders and bells. The CBSC we’re going yank long before before CIE!!

55CC7FD6-9E07-4FF2-B61C-B489D91BA828.jpeg.fb54da24644e5dce9a34292bf849c68b.jpeg

Here is one at the ballinhassig aerial ropeway siding shunting bricks, even the baldwins outlived the ropeway

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I've started painting the bodies of the two 00n3 wagons I've built. 

IMG_20220206_172700.jpg

I've got some chopper couplings on the way from Custom009 on Facebook, the eagle-eyed will notice that the loco's bufferbeams have been painted and transferred in readiness.

Unfortunately I seem to have missed out on a brass L&LSR 4-8-4T this week, so if anybody on here has any 00n3 rolling stock or motive power (as kits or built!) that they are seeking to get rid of or would be willing to part with please feel free to send a PM. 

As soon as I took the picture for this post I noticed that I still need to paint the rails on the photoplank. I'll be doing this when I have the rusty colours out to paint the wagon underframes. 

Edited by J-Mo Arts
  • Like 9
  • WOW! 1

On a bit of an impulse I have been drawing up a Donegal 7 ton wagon this evening:

image.thumb.png.24df0e25508f3340d6ce101231038d74.png

I've hit a bit of a snag- I used these drawings from HMRS:

5609_image.gif

And the brake lever is of a different design to the one here (apparently correct for numbers 101-120 and 121-154) and on the wagon in Cultra:

http://gardenrailwayrealism.pbworks.com/f/1237901124/cdropen2.jpg

This gives conflicting designs and I'm not entirely sure which to go with- obviously the one in Cultra is going to be the most accurate but was this truly representative of the majority of the Donegal 5-plank wagons' brake gear? This is a small gripe but I'd love to sell a few of these wagons and so would like them to be as accurate as possible. 

@airfixfan please excuse the tag, you are the most knowledgeable person on the DR that I know of- if you could shed any light on this it would be very greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

Thanks let me look through my records and have some photos of different types of CDR eagons from the 1930s onwards in my own collection. By chance as part of my work on a new CDR book I am going through various photo collections at present. Will also be volunteering at the Donegal Railway Heritage Centre for a few days next week going through our photo archive. As a Committee member have also access to other sources there such as our rolling stock diagram book

Send me a PM?

Edited by airfixfan
  • Thanks 1

Basically 3 different types the 1893 Oldbbury stock has 8 shoe clasp brakes plus a single brake lever operating on one shoe only,then with the 1900 stock onwards 4 shoe brakes with 2 brake levers operating from the same end Cultras open 13 has this type, when you get to the Strabane and Letterkenny Hurst Nelson stock you have 8 shoe clasp brakes with the 2 brake levers at the same end.There are a few variations due to rebuilding etc,but that is the basics.If you havn't got it Roger Crumbleholmes "County Donegal Companion"is very useful.Andy.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Andy Cundick said:

Basically 3 different types the 1893 Oldbbury stock has 8 shoe clasp brakes plus a single brake lever operating on one shoe only,then with the 1900 stock onwards 4 shoe brakes with 2 brake levers operating from the same end Cultras open 13 has this type, when you get to the Strabane and Letterkenny Hurst Nelson stock you have 8 shoe clasp brakes with the 2 brake levers at the same end.There are a few variations due to rebuilding etc,but that is the basics.If you havn't got it Roger Crumbleholmes "County Donegal Companion"is very useful.Andy.

Thanks a lot Andy! I assume then that these drawings I've used are of the 1893 stock as they have a single brake lever. 

Thanks again! 

4 hours ago, Andy Cundick said:

The answer to that is no,the drawing is a Bruce Heaven drawing which has to treated with caution. 141 was rebuilt at Dundalk c1949/50 and so is a bit of a one off.The single brake levers pivot on the bottom of the frames If its any help i can sort you out some drawings of Donegal stock if its of any use.Andy.

That would be very useful, thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the help with the wagon. I've finished two variants and am waiting for wheels for them to arrive. 

In the meantime, while not Irish, I've finished up this for my LB&SCR narrow gauge freelance:

IMG_20220307_214051.jpg

I'm very pleased with how my simplified IEG livery has come out.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

While laptop problems have meant I haven't been designing anything new, I haven't been short of ideas, nor have I stopped modelling. 

I bought a Berliner Bahnen 0-8-0 chassis to make a freelance tank engine from, either in the style of the Basque Nasmyth Wilsons or a large Peckett. Having compared the chassis to my L&BER loco I'm leaning towards the latter as the wheels are quite small, giving quite an industrial look. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. 

IMG_20220403_172311.jpg

I've also been working on my 009 layout, which now has wiring for remote points and is being prepped for DAS clay inset track. 

IMG_20220401_224859.jpg

Thanks for reading! 

• Like 2

So much fun to be had doctoring commercial chassis into something plausible and nice to have outside valve gear too. Not many eight coupled locos in Ireland though, with only the Swilly having them on narrow gauge.  Suspect that large motor precludes one of their 4-8-0s, but would probably fit inside the tanks of the 4-8-4s. Wheels might be a bit small, mind.

If you could fit a pony truck at each end, then a new, as yet unheard of, class of Swilly or Donegal tank could emerge. On the continent, they were happy with 0-8-0s with large overhangs, but pony wheels would look better, methinks.

• Like 2

Thanks David, I do really enjoy making plausible freelances. I think I only have two narrow gauge locomotives that are proper scale models of a real prototype! 

I decided that I'll do an industrial Peckett, as the wheels are just too small to do anything CDR/LLSR. They're only just bigger than wagon wheels, so would look very odd with pony trucks unfortunately. So, I redownloaded Fusion360 and started drawing it up:

unknown.png

I'm going to add all the pipework and sandboxes etc to hide the hole in the boiler, also the chimney and dome etc. I'll be naming the loco 'Patrick James II' as I got the idea from the late Pat James' Peckett 0-6-0 drawing and pugbash:

https://www.railwaymania.net/pat-projects-ironstone-diorama/p67jfpnz8wqt1xigcif27at3vi8qm4

To try and keep a tiny bit Donegal-y I'll paint it red ;)

• Like 3

Reminds me of the metre gauge 0-6-0t's that ran at the Wellingborough ironstone pits, maybe the saddle tank top needs to be a bit higher? . I think one was preserved at Hunsbury Hill Northampton. Must be 40yrs since I was last there!

Excellent link, wonder why the 0-6-0 Avonside tempts me so much! :dig:

1 hour ago, Mike 84C said:

Reminds me of the metre gauge 0-6-0t's that ran at the Wellingborough ironstone pits, maybe the saddle tank top needs to be a bit higher? . I think one was preserved at Hunsbury Hill Northampton. Must be 40yrs since I was last there!

Excellent link, wonder why the 0-6-0 Avonside tempts me so much! :dig:

It's funny you should say that- I've been using the logo of the Irchester Narrow Gauge Railway Museum as my drawing. It's virtually identical to Pat James' drawing, and one of the Wellingborough locos. I believe it is Peckett No. 1871:

fHgFBAFLbJNkwTdBWserlFnNESPTLsNSCK593p_C

I was really tempted to get one of those Avonside 0-6-0s and fit it with an offset chopper coupling as the Londonderry Port and Harbour locos had for shunting L&LSR wagons:

3-r-h-smyth-at-whitehead-july-2018.jpg?w

One could use Tillig dual gauge track for a little yard, and I reckon that'd be a very distinctive layout!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I've been both busy and distracted and so haven't finished my O-21 Hunslet in time to run it on David Holman's layout at Narrow Gauge South this weekend. I have however added couplings to my Blessingbourne, which means it's finally finished after about 2 years. I've also painted a rake of wagons to bring along to NGS, hopefully I can take a few pictures on some nice layouts! 

IMG_20220422_231132.jpg

• Like 4

Excellent- have a good day. Blessingbourne is one of those Irish locos like the BCDR Baltics and the NCC 2-4-4T that looked so powerful but sadly failed to deliver what their appearance promised! Although I was struck by a very insightful comment in  Bill Scott’s book that 110 in many ways anticipated the appearance of the 5’3 WT class a decade and a half later…..sorry - off on a tangent ! 

25 - 4-6-4T, built 1920 by Beyer Peacock & Co., Works No.6003 - 1948 to UTA as No.225 - 1952 placed in store - 1956 withdrawn.

NORTHERN COUNTIES COMMITTEE - 110 - B&NCR Class S 2-4-2T - built 1892 by Beyer Peacock & Co. Works No.3463, as B&NCR No.69 - 1897 to B&NCR No.110 - 1931 rebuilt as 2-4-4T, Class S2, with Belpaire boiler - withdrawn 1946 - seen here at Larne Town Station after 1931 rebuild.

1F4F7F4C-BF7C-4437-8FEC-170D5C9CEEF5.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

That BCDR 4.6.4T seriously looked like a monster, but as you say, the looks weren't matched by the performance, like the quare wan you met in a nightclub at 2 am when you were 19.........

Senior covered the whole BCDR at least once, and the main line and Bangor and possibly elsewhere) at least one more time. In all cases, I believe he travelled on footplates with a pass his father had signed. He used to say that the BCDR 4.6.4T ate coal at a voracious rate, though I'm not sure if he footplated it personally. He rated the BCDR 0.6.0s highly and had a sprightly run down the BCDR main line on the footplate of one with a fairly heavy load.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, J-Mo Arts said:

Unfortunately I've been both busy and distracted and so haven't finished my O-21 Hunslet in time to run it on David Holman's layout at Narrow Gauge South this weekend. I have however added couplings to my Blessingbourne, which means it's finally finished after about 2 years. I've also painted a rake of wagons to bring along to NGS, hopefully I can take a few pictures on some nice layouts! 

IMG_20220422_231132.jpg

Saw this little gem at Eastleigh today and it is every bit as good as it looks,  complete with some subtle and effective weathering.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...