J-Mo's Workbench

Rate this topic

J-Mo Arts

Well this is rather quaint! A while ago I sent David Hurst (aka Model Engine Works) drawings for the S&S trams in as-built and rebuilt forms and he promptly turned out some CAD. Fast forward more months than I'd like to admit and I ran off a pair as a test on my printer. I've finished the rebuilt one for now, pending adding a few details like the pipe which goes from the cab to in front of the smokebox- possibly for sandboxes or a governor system? It's a very nice design and I am looking forward to working on the as-built version as well!

IMG_20230420_114418.jpg

IMG_20230420_114719.jpg

• Like 16
  • WOW! 2

57 minutes ago, J-Mo Arts said:

Well this is rather quaint! A while ago I sent David Hurst (aka Model Engine Works) drawings for the S&S trams in as-built and rebuilt forms and he promptly turned out some CAD. Fast forward more months than I'd like to admit and I ran off a pair as a test on my printer. I've finished the rebuilt one for now, pending adding a few details like the pipe which goes from the cab to in front of the smokebox- possibly for sandboxes or a governor system? It's a very nice design and I am looking forward to working on the as-built version as well!

IMG_20230420_114418.jpg

IMG_20230420_114719.jpg

Stunning well done 

• Thanks 1

On 25/7/2022 at 9:46 PM, J-Mo Arts said:

The mogul is pretty much finished:

IMG-20220725-WA0033.jpg

I presumed 388 would be in this livery before or after the red lining was removed, I may be totally wrong but I don't think many people at local exhibitions will know any better. 

Only just catching up on some of these posts now. 388 would have been all-grey from building until 1945/6, when it would have been painted lined green. The unique "Rosslare Express" livery applied to it leas than two years before it was scrapped, specifically for the Cork - Rosslare Boat Train, was plain black with red lining. This particular member of the class was never all-black (plain) though one or two other members of the class were.

6 hours ago, J-Mo Arts said:

IMG_20230420_114418.jpg

IMG_20230420_114719.jpg

Fascinating little item! Well done and well weathered.....

On 29/3/2023 at 4:48 PM, Mike 84C said:

J-Mo heres my 850 starting from a V3 and my Woolwich with a few "tweaks"

With 850 you have to be willing to take the saw to the patient! I was quite brutal!  and did wonder if it would work out OK!  

IMG_5894.JPG

IMG_5890.JPG

IMG_5892.JPG

OUTSTANDING!!!

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much all for such a positive reaction! I'm so glad you like the model. 

15 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Only just catching up on some of these posts now. 388 would have been all-grey from building until 1945/6, when it would have been painted lined green. The unique "Rosslare Express" livery applied to it leas than two years before it was scrapped, specifically for the Cork - Rosslare Boat Train, was plain black with red lining. This particular member of the class was never all-black (plain) though one or two other members of the class were.

Fascinating little item! Well done and well weathered.....

OUTSTANDING!!!

Do you know what the livery post-Rosslare Boat Train would have been? I suppose the livery being wrong is no worse than the CIE Mk1s it pulls... I will learn for next time! Most uneducated BR modellers over here don't know what the correct livery is, so it's eye catching enough to be 'different' and if anyone calls me out on it I shall congratulate them for their excellent knowledge...

• 2 months later...

I wonder where the S&S got a German metal bodied coach from... 

1687964765101.jpg

Little to report on the Irish front of late as I've been interrailing, including a wonderful excursion to the Harz and one to the Mollibahn (yes, I bought a 2-8-2 donor chassis for a 12mm gauge Molli...) which were amazing. It was great to get a feel of what the Irish narrow gauge may have been similar to as apart from Fintown I'd only previously been on standard and 2ft narrow gauge. 

I have however done a bit of weathering on some British stock:

IMG_20230715_124801.jpg

Pictured here on my WIP 00 gauge photo plank. Again not Irish, but I'll pose my Irish projects on it as I think they'd look better in scenery than not. 

• Like 6

Sounds like a great trip J-Mo. Nice, subtle weathering on the rolling stock. You've also made a very fine job of that Dapol/ex-Airfix double engine shed. The moulds are so worn out for that, the mortar lines on the brickwork are really shallow, making it very hard to get paint to stay in them. I know. I've tried!

Alan

• Agree 1

On 15/7/2023 at 2:35 PM, Tullygrainey said:

Sounds like a great trip J-Mo. Nice, subtle weathering on the rolling stock. You've also made a very fine job of that Dapol/ex-Airfix double engine shed. The moulds are so worn out for that, the mortar lines on the brickwork are really shallow, making it very hard to get paint to stay in them. I know. I've tried!

Alan

Thanks Alan! Yes, it was a real swine to do. I'd read somewhere that thinning the mortar paint with IPA would change the surface tension such that it will just flow into all of the cracks, unfortunately I couldn't find mine so used a drop of washing up liquid which did in fairness work though not as well as I'd hoped. So I still got it on the bricks in places and had to wipe it off again. The shed will get some weathering too and hopefully that'll make it a bit less obvious where it's not as well done. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another trip away... This time to the Isle of Man and then on to Ireland including a week in County Donegal, mostly unfortunately inside as I came down with Covid picked up on the IoM, luckily nowadays a much weaker virus. 

Could this be the first locomotive back at Dungloe Road station since the 1940s?

IMG_20230810_112227.jpg

A fun (to me, anyway) photo and a genuine possibility. 

IMG_20230810_112124.jpg

Luckily I did recover in time to visit the railway museum before I left the area, it was great to see Drumboe back where she belongs. 

IMG_20230810_144518.jpg

The trip has really boosted my 00n3 modelling mojo and I'm really looking forward to making a start on a proper layout soon! 

1691768595266.jpg

1691768772190.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Hope recovery is quick! That’s a lovely live action shot of 4.

Thank you! 

The shot was taken at a really nice spot where we also caught Maitland light engine one rainy evening and a dinner service of Loch with Maitland banking. 

1691779968216.jpg

1691779939587.jpg

Alas the photos of Maitland approaching were too blurry (she was really getting on!) and those of Loch a bit closer too dark. 

• Like 7