J-Mo's Workbench

Rate this topic

J-Mo Arts

4 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Looks brilliant. Although SLNC and BCDR cabs aren’t always that far apart ;) check out no 29 here which has a very SLNC air, right down to the 0-6-4T arrangement and the jack beside the smokebox! 

8797C8A6-E47A-4D02-A184-BBA95A832DF3.jpeg

I wonder if it was inspired by success of the SLNCR locos... 

Edited by J-Mo Arts
  • Like 1

Nice thought! Des Coakham’s view was that it was one of the most interesting engines on the line. He felt that the inspiration came from the GNRI RT tanks which visited Queens Quay. The external styling though is very SLNC-like ! In a nice little circle of history, of course, 2 SLNC 0-6-4Ts worked on the Belfast dock lines just after 29 was withdrawn- a real pity they were never seen together.

C1CC0CD0-F3A6-444D-998F-20F1C22EF9C4.jpeg

2645D59E-AEA9-4A2E-AE0A-12EBDB96A6DC.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

30 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Nice thought! Des Coakham’s view was that it was one of the most interesting engines on the line. He felt that the inspiration came from the GNRI RT tanks which visited Queens Quay. The external styling though is very SLNC-like ! In a nice little circle of history, of course, 2 SLNC 0-6-4Ts worked on the Belfast dock lines just after 29 was withdrawn- a real pity they were never seen together.

C1CC0CD0-F3A6-444D-998F-20F1C22EF9C4.jpeg

2645D59E-AEA9-4A2E-AE0A-12EBDB96A6DC.jpeg

Those are nice engines too. I really like some of the GNRI tank engines, perhaps once I've cleared my mile-long narrow gauge and BCDR to-do list one will form on my workbench. 

Was there ever a 'handing over' of passenger or goods trains between the BCDR and the GNRi? For example a train to Bangor from Armagh or vice versa. That would make a nice tie between any GNRi and BCDR stock I make. 

13 hours ago, Killian Keane said:

Aaaah yes of course, Im familiar with such things being used on traction engines but rarely does one see it on a locomotive, I believe the WW1 Baldwin engines were fitted up with them come to think of it

Most of the trench locos had waterlifters due to the lack of any water cranes or tanks it meant you could lift water from any convenient tank, barrel or stream,they were also not uncommon on contractors engines  for the same reasons.

• Like 1

The chassis has arrived and is de-cylindered. I think this may have had an affect on the quartering. The wheels seem to slip out of sync slightly after a bit of running. I'm not entirely sure however if this came from take off the cylinders as I'm unsure how that would have that effect, but oh well. 

IMG_20211124_200525.jpg

The trailing wheels are a tad small for a BCDR tank but I'm happy to overlook this. 

The radial body is now in bits and awaiting modifications to both the superstructure and to fit the chassis. 

Thanks for reading! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, J-Mo Arts said:

The chassis has arrived and is de-cylindered. I think this may have had an affect on the quartering. The wheels seem to slip out of sync slightly after a bit of running. I'm not entirely sure however if this came from take off the cylinders as I'm unsure how that would have that effect, but oh well. 

IMG_20211124_200525.jpg

The trailing wheels are a tad small for a BCDR tank but I'm happy to overlook this. 

The radial body is now in bits and awaiting modifications to both the superstructure and to fit the chassis. 

Thanks for reading! 

I’m going to say by the looks of my wheels we have two different chassis. Are you going to carry over some elements of the origional and Adams radial shell in the BCDR tank print?

7DAFCECC-0DBD-47FA-98F8-EB31DE0FCC25.thumb.jpeg.faca100d83c9c02ba2091088914f1c1c.jpeg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I’m going to say by the looks of my wheels we have two different chassis. Are you going to carry over some elements of the origional and Adams radial shell in the BCDR tank print?

7DAFCECC-0DBD-47FA-98F8-EB31DE0FCC25.thumb.jpeg.faca100d83c9c02ba2091088914f1c1c.jpeg

You have the Hornby version. I have an Oxford, which has an inferior chassis design however at £48 I thought it was a fair price. The Radial body will be recycled into the freelance 4-4-0 posted above :)

I also have Hornby's no.3125 but I like it too much to cut up and I model Southern too anyway!

Edited by J-Mo Arts
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Maybe you got lucky with the radials, some get away but most are shocking bad

I had the idea of school vs class too, but considering we already have the Woolich in Ireland, I strayed off!

I'm hoping mine is okay. It seems to be relatively okay so far, and as my layout is flat I don't have to worry about the hill problems. A few times it hasn't started moving straight away, but after a second or so I hear a spark or something go 'click' and it moves. I have a similar problem with my 009 L&B Manning Wardle and I'm not sure if it's fixable but I can live with it.

8 minutes ago, J-Mo Arts said:

I'm hoping mine is okay. It seems to be relatively okay so far, and as my layout is flat I don't have to worry about the hill problems. A few times it hasn't started moving straight away, but after a second or so I hear a spark or something go 'click' and it moves. I have a similar problem with my 009 L&B Manning Wardle and I'm not sure if it's fixable but I can live with it.

It still might be worth the simple spring fox on the rear and front bogey, you might loose traction even on flats over that!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of bored 3d modelling of a L&LSR/L&BER 4-6-0 gives me this, with the TT chassis dropped in roughly in red:

IMG-20211210-WA0005.jpg

As the motor is protruding from the front of the cab I think I'll extend the bunker back and move the chassis backwards, which will also give the space (I hope) for a shorter wheelbase bogie in front of the TT bufferbeam. If not, I could make a 2-6-0. 

Thanks for reading! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, J-Mo Arts said:

A bit of bored 3d modelling of a L&LSR/L&BER 4-6-0 gives me this, with the TT chassis dropped in roughly in red:

IMG-20211210-WA0005.jpg

As the motor is protruding from the front of the cab I think I'll extend the bunker back and move the chassis backwards, which will also give the space (I hope) for a shorter wheelbase bogie in front of the TT bufferbeam. If not, I could make a 2-6-0. 

Thanks for reading! 

It looks like LLSR No 17/No 4 Innishowen would make a nice straightforward conversion project for the TT Jinty chassis

No.17 - 0-6-0T built 1885 by Black Hawthorn & Co., Works No.834, as L&LSR No.4 INNISHOWEN - 1913 to No.17 - withdrawn 1940.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, J-Mo Arts said:

IMG-20211210-WA0005.jpg

Thanks for reading! 

Assuming this is a semi freelance job, why not consider a 4-6-2T? That should give space in the cab.

4 hours ago, Mayner said:

It looks like LLSR No 17/No 4 Innishowen would make a nice straightforward conversion project for the TT Jinty chassis

No.17 - 0-6-0T built 1885 by Black Hawthorn & Co., Works No.834, as L&LSR No.4 INNISHOWEN - 1913 to No.17 - withdrawn 1940.

Thanks for the suggestion, I did consider it but I find the dome rather offensive. Did it have a different one at some point? It may have the same problem of the motor being too tall and sticking out of the front of the cab, I'll have to try it out if I can find drawings. 

1 hour ago, David Holman said:

Assuming this is a semi freelance job, why not consider a 4-6-2T? That should give space in the cab.

Thanks for this suggestion too, and that would make up quite a smart loco. I'll see what I can do! 

41 minutes ago, airfixfan said:

Have not seen that photo of LLSR No 4 later No 17 before. Have a few photos of that loco in my new Lough Swilly book.

I think it's here :

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/IRISH-RAILWAYS/LONDONDERRY-LOUGH-SWILLY-RAILWAY/i-Z9sr578/A

12 hours ago, J-Mo Arts said:

IMG-20211210-WA0005.jpg

Thanks for reading! 

Those motors in awkward positions killed the 3d print bandon tank. A new chassis has to be made which I have made no progress on since 

• Like 1

Relying on rtr chassis certainly limits what you can do, which is a shame given the amount of skill and practice required to produce a 3D printed loco body.

It might sound scary, but with excellent motor gear boxes available from the likes of High Level, Branchlines and Roxey, scratchbuilding a chassis means it is always possible to hide the motor. Worth considering having a go at making frames from plasticard, but with brass bearings, especially as ready milled coupling rod sets will be available for many varieties of wheel base.

There again, a bit of freelancing can not only still be good fun, but also helps develop the skills for more advanced work later.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, David Holman said:

Relying on rtr chassis certainly limits what you can do, which is a shame given the amount of skill and practice required to produce a 3D printed loco body.

It might sound scary, but with excellent motor gear boxes available from the likes of High Level, Branchlines and Roxey, scratchbuilding a chassis means it is always possible to hide the motor. Worth considering having a go at making frames from plasticard, but with brass bearings, especially as ready milled coupling rod sets will be available for many varieties of wheel base.

There again, a bit of freelancing can not only still be good fun, but also helps develop the skills for more advanced work later.

Over the Christmas break I hope to make a custom chassis for a Donegal class 1 2-4-0, which seems like an easy enough one to start with and something I'd like to have anyway.

The engine to fit the Triang TT chassis I am more than happy to freelance, it will be a nice first engine I reckon and won't be the best 00n3 model ever, although I'm not trying to make it that. Looking forward to working on it more soon!

• Like 2

On 23/11/2021 at 6:20 PM, J-Mo Arts said:

Those are nice engines too. I really like some of the GNRI tank engines, perhaps once I've cleared my mile-long narrow gauge and BCDR to-do list one will form on my workbench. 

Was there ever a 'handing over' of passenger or goods trains between the BCDR and the GNRi? For example a train to Bangor from Armagh or vice versa. That would make a nice tie between any GNRi and BCDR stock I make. 

Not as such, no, though very occasionally (e.g. 12th July) excursions ran from the BCDR onto GNR lines. One must presume that a GNR loco took over in such a case, but there was never anything regular.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, J-Mo Arts said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I did consider it but I find the dome rather offensive. Did it have a different one at some point? It may have the same problem of the motor being too tall and sticking out of the front of the cab, I'll have to try it out if I can find drawings. 

Thanks for this suggestion too, and that would make up quite a smart loco. I'll see what I can do! 

I think it's here :

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/IRISH-RAILWAYS/LONDONDERRY-LOUGH-SWILLY-RAILWAY/i-Z9sr578/A

Thanks will have a look through some of my photos of 4/17 ranging from the 1900s to the 1930s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airfixfan said:

Have checked through this morning. All my photos of 4/17 from around the 1930s show the larger dome. However a photo I have used in my Lough Swilly book from the 1900s shows an immaculate No 4 in Swilly green with a neat dome on the boiler.

Thanks airfixfan, that lends credibility to that idea! 

This is how the project is ending up looking; it's taking form nicely:

image.thumb.png.f9078e6d5f6c99747de5508148c17ee2.pngGoing for a 2-6-0 wheel arrangement, as I've been able to regauge a 00 wheelset I had lying around. They're fairly big wheels and I may do outside axleboxes for interest, like the Isle of Man Beyer Peacocks. I'll leave the bufferbeams bare until I choose a coupling style, Branchlines' chopper couplings do appeal for that look of realism.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, J-Mo Arts said:

This is how the project is ending up looking; it's taking form nicely:

image.thumb.png.f9078e6d5f6c99747de5508148c17ee2.pngGoing for a 2-6-0 wheel arrangement, as I've been able to regauge a 00 wheelset I had lying around. They're fairly big wheels and I may do outside axleboxes for interest, like the Isle of Man Beyer Peacocks. I'll leave the bufferbeams bare until I choose a coupling style, Branchlines' chopper couplings do appeal for that look of realism.

Thanks for reading!

She looks close to one of the LLSR Barclay 4-6-0Ts

I wonder would the Tri-ang Castle or Princess  Chassis be a better option that the jinty? Second hand TT prices seem a lot more realistic than OO

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353802880994?hash=item52604b87e2:g:jDgAAOSwOYFhsMVU.

If you are feeling adventerous you could try re-wheeling with Markits wheels with extended TT axles and outside cranks, everything is self jigging Markits supply a special axlenut screwdriver. and you end up with a reasonably authentic outside framed Swilly Loco.

My favourites are the two dainty Kerr Stewart Tanks Aberfoyle and Richmond

No.4 INISHOWEN - 0-6-0T - built 1885 by Black Hawthorn & Co., Works No.834 - 1913 to No.17 - name removed in 1920's - 1940 withdrawn.

No 4 with a decent looking dome though the chimney is a bit of a monstrocity

• Like 3

That is the very photo of No 4 that I mentioned used in my new Lough Swilly book with all monies raised supporting railway preservation in County Donegal. Looks like at some stage in the earlly/mid 1920s that No 4/17 lost its dome in favour of a dome donated from another Swilly loco possibly?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mayner said:

She looks close to one of the LLSR Barclay 4-6-0Ts

I wonder would the Tri-ang Castle or Princess  Chassis be a better option that the jinty? Second hand TT prices seem a lot more realistic than OO

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353802880994?hash=item52604b87e2:g:jDgAAOSwOYFhsMVU.

If you are feeling adventerous you could try re-wheeling with Markits wheels with extended TT axles and outside cranks, everything is self jigging Markits supply a special axlenut screwdriver. and you end up with a reasonably authentic outside framed Swilly Loco.

My favourites are the two dainty Kerr Stewart Tanks Aberfoyle and Richmond

No.4 INISHOWEN - 0-6-0T - built 1885 by Black Hawthorn & Co., Works No.834 - 1913 to No.17 - name removed in 1920's - 1940 withdrawn.

No 4 with a decent looking dome though the chimney is a bit of a monstrocity

Thanks for this. She's based on the 4-6-0 drawings. I did have a look at a bigger TT chassis, but I think that they'd come with their own compromises, and so I think the next step in my 3ft modelling will be to make my own chassis. I'm planning to do a Donegal class 1 2-4-0. Perhaps in the future I'll do a half-cab no.4, as Dr Alan Gee has, as it's quite a pretty engine. So are Aberfoyle and Richmond, you're quite right! So many ideas... 

Edited by J-Mo Arts
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Most interesting photo. Looks like final stages of an overhaul, looking at paint finish. Loco is in steam but front buffer beam is removed. Maybe a little fettling of the draincocks or cylinder seals ?

Lovely photo from about the 1900s which is why I used it in the Swiily book.

• Like 1