World Cup!!!!!!!!

Rate this topic

201bhoy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be part of the 0.00001% of the male population that is immune to World Cup fever.

Makes for awkward pub chat, esp since I can't discuss the goal that zsa zsa gabor scored for Tanganika.

I feel your pain.....

Here in work they look at you like you have 10 heads when you tell them you didn't see "The Match" last night!

i will be shot at dawn for saying this.....but i have absolutely no interest in the world cup! (NO stone throwing please!) is there a chance that anyone out there in model land feels the same? my darling wife on the other hand is a fanatic(mores the pity) - but thats the price you pay when you say 'i do'!

dont be surprised if this sign ends up on my door...

mischievous-grin-smiley-emoticon.gif

hate.jpg

Aye, Song acted like a complete madman... but then again, then entire team's discipline was sorely lacking, with Assou Ekotto even headbutting one of his own teammates! Another crazy move, which would have earned him a red card, too, had the referee saw it. Cameroon's overall effort was incredibly poor... I couldn't believe what I was seeing when their defenders barely made any attempt to intercept Mandzukic for the last goal.

Chile are an impressive outfit... the players look like they would die for each other. At the same time, it's a sad end to Spain's golden era. It's hard to comprehend that some of the players - the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Casillas, etc - are/were considered to be among the best of their generation, but were made to look very ordinary. Casillas looks like he has lost all confidence, and between his World Cup experience and the difficulties he had during the season at Real Madrid, you get the feeling his career may never recover.

There's talk that Barcelona are willing to offload Sanchez as he doesn't fit into Enriques plans. Sanchez, Vidal, and Diaz have looked top notch in the two games they have played. Pat I nearly choked on my dinner when Fellani scored the other day.

Rich,

There's talk that Barcelona are willing to offload Sanchez as he doesn't fit into Enriques plans. Sanchez, Vidal, and Diaz have looked top notch in the two games they have played. Pat I nearly choked on my dinner when Fellani scored the other day.

Rich,

I'll piss my pants with glee if Sanchez turns up at Anfield. Juve are faves for his signature apparently.

Looks like the England football team are going the same way as their cricketers-heading for a whitewash!!

It's gone very quiet where I am - technically still possible for them to qualify - but, probably more possible for Costa Rica to beat them.....

It's gone very quiet where I am - technically still possible for them to qualify - but, probably more possible for Costa Rica to beat them.....

Certainly not quiet where I am,much delight with the view of the Scotland fan (in the hideous pink away kit) celebrating in the Uruguay end,he stood out like a sore thumb!

Certainly not quiet where I am,much delight with the view of the Scotland fan (in the hideous pink away kit) celebrating in the Uruguay end,he stood out like a sore thumb!

There has been a lot less razzamatazz here this time, much fewer cars with flags, etc. - people have finally realised that they might not really win. It has been fifty years since the last tournament win, and most people that I know can't actually remember it.

I would have my "Ivory Coast" flag up, if I thought anybody would know what it was.....

To be honest, the Rooney goal and the 'five minutes of hope' was a cruel twist - most people would actually feel happier if they had lost two-nil...

Edited by Broithe

Regarding the RTE coverage of the Uruguay v England game, the contrast in George Hamilton's voice when Rooney scored, compared to Suarez's winner, was highly noticeable. He nearly wet himself when Rooney scored, then there was barely a whimper once, and after, Suarez's winner went in.

I'm not saying he should have an anti-English bias, just that he should be even-handed surely. However, not for the first time, he has been way too over-excited for an English goal.

Anyway, thank you Costa Rica, for many reasons. Amongst them we have been spared the sight of Eamon Dunphy in a dress!

We will never know now if he would have gone for a frock, a little black dress or a polka-dot number........?

Anyway, thank you Costa Rica, for many reasons.

Costa Rica were the "no-hopers" in a group where the other three were past winners, with a total of seven World Cups between them - this is the best thing to happen to the World Cup for a long time.

I was a little saddened by the Cost Rica result

I was hoping for a nail biter when they played Engerland in the last group match

Not gonna happen now, so I have 2 tubs of Pringles and a litre bottle of Fanta if anyone wants them?

Waylon Francis is one of the best names from the group !

Germany were very cavalier tonight. Schweinsteiger should have been playing from the start. No idea what Khedira is doing in the team at all. But I know Loew really likes him and if he really wants to play him then his only position is a holding midfielder. He should put Boateng back into central defence, drop either Mertesacker (terrible tonight) or Howedes and pop Lahm back into his favoured right back position, or left back, which he can play also, to make room for khedira and play Schweinsteiger, who at least gives the team some impetus. As for Ozil, sigh, he was trying his usual 'hardest'.

Talking about cavalier again, Argentina earlier were very lucky. Iran deserved to win that match, they had more chances and offered more. I know most won't agree with this but as to how some of Argentina's players are rated that highly is simply ridiculous. Higuain (who is the subject of a €55 million bid from Barcelona seemingly) didn't offer a thing. Aguero (whose valued at more) didn't have any effect either. Their whole forward line was blunt. As for Messi (controversial), for 93 minutes of that match, he was distinctly ordinary, against a much poorer opposition, and I don't feel that his 'one moment of brilliance' which won the match, compensates for that, in the long term. Some may feel that this is what sets him apart but I think against Iran he had the ability to do much more than he did and thats a serious flaw if you are going to call someone the best player in the world. I know he's scored two goals but he hasn't played particularly well, in a team which hasn't played particularly well.

No fan of the guy but if Cristiano Ronaldo was a bit more likeable and didn't dive as much (although Messi dives his fair share too and there isn't the same furore about it, and referees seem to protect him too much), then I think he would overshadow Messi much more on the world stage.

Not gonna happen now, so I have 2 tubs of Pringles and a litre bottle of Fanta if anyone wants them?

Ah Dave, you mean to say that the thought of Nigeria v Bosnia or South Korea v Algeria won't get you glued to your couch and munching into your Pringles? I'd save them, they both sound like right corkers!

If he doesn't learn from it this time he never will. I think that the way he has treated his football club has been a disgrace after all they did to try and help him cut all that behavior out. Also the Manager claiming that it was a witch hunt by the Italian and English FA was pathetic. The fact that he even went as far as to include the English football media in it was laughable when the same football writers voted him their player of the year.

What irritates me most is the fact that he stayed on the pitch after it. Antonio Valencia was sent off last night for an over the ball challenge on one of the French players and subsequent replays show that it was accidental as he had made full contact with the ball. The linesman indicated a throw in to France, the ref didn't see it, and it was the fourth official that alerted the ref. He had obviously watched it on the monitor on the touchline, and how he came to the conclusion that it was a foul is beyond me.

It makes you wonder why the fourth official didn't see the Suarez incident.

Rich,

Suarez gets a four-month ban from "all football-related activity", a ban for nine international matches, and a fine of 100,000 Swiss Francs. Now, if only FIFA would also take action against players launching their elbows at opponents...

This is my favorite take on it - http://www.joe.ie/football/football-news/maths-says-you-are-more-likely-to-be-bitten-by-luis-suarez-than-a-shark/