irishthump

Graham's Workbench

Posted (edited)

Wow! I didn't realise how long it had been since my last update on my workbench but here goes...

After almost 2 years the A class is nearing completion! Truth be told I did the basic paint job not long after my last post, but I only recently got around to applying Weshty's excellent decals.

7DDF1659-DB61-4356-91D1-2457DD7BC02C_zpskzhj0iah.jpg

80FEAA66-3EA6-4D2F-972F-7AD0B060EEEE_zpspq9fpcfu.jpg

2A90D86E-D010-499A-9FE1-0910FB287FFD_zpseogc5lf9.jpg

I still need to install the glazing and wipers, add the buffers, bogies and fuel tank detail and install the Loksound decoder.

Edited by irishthump

Posted (edited)

Here's a shot of the finished chassis.

More weight has been added in the form of steel plate which was fixed to the sides of the motor. I also installed a PCB from a Hornby class 56 to make it easier to install lighting. I just plan on having operating running lights at first, the PCB gives the option to add working headlights at a later date.

59080F2B-7929-45A9-903E-6F114C2BDFA1_zpsbz5q5yss.jpg

For the lighting I made a small PCB for each end of the loco. The PCB's have micro leds soldered to them for the running lights. These were then cased inside styrene to help prevent light bleed, I plan to use fibre optic strands to illuminate the running lights when the rest of the loco is finished.

BC00E9D7-01B4-4623-85F4-398E2C6BE737_zps7y0stogo.jpg

Here's a quick shot of the interior of the body shell. I used styrene to build mounting points at each end for the Kadee couplers and the speaker was installed in the roof grill and sealed with black mastic sealant.

D887C29D-A88B-47D7-B0CC-15599C703C0B_zpseii9ldwt.jpg

The chassis seems to run great so far. I was initially worried about hauling power as it's significantly lighter than an MM 141 but when I tested it it hauled 5 MK3 coaches without a problem.

Hopefully I'll have some more progress to report by the weekend!

Edited by irishthump

Looking great,

I was wondering what had happened that no posts appeared for a while

been busy

Eoin

Well done Thump, that A class is looking fab and is a superb runner. The weathering is top notch and makes the GMs look as real as their big brothers! The HST is also a top job and great recycling idea that certainly looks a possibility for older style SF As and Cs. Skilled and wonderful work and a joy to see.

Well done Thump, that A class is looking fab and is a superb runner. The weathering is top notch and makes the GMs look as real as their big brothers! The HST is also a top job and great recycling idea that certainly looks a possibility for older style SF As and Cs. Skilled and wonderful work and a joy to see.

Thanks for the kind words, Sulzer!

Looking great,

I was wondering what had happened that no posts appeared for a while

been busy

Eoin

Yeah Eoin, up to me tonsils but not in anything railway related unfortunately!

Ok, very nearly there!

All glazing, buffers and detail parts have been attached, sound chip has been installed and is working fine but needs to have a suitable file loaded to it. I also attached steps to the bogies, these were made from repurposed HO caboose ladders. Here's some pics of 019 sitting on the tracks....

12D246CA-44C1-4F7D-A08E-A76FE565EA55_zps9o9hjnmm.jpg

15759306-8738-4E33-BE29-C08C3679708A_zpsvbv8gtr5.jpg

I had a bit of an issue with the lighting. Specifically, the Hornby PCB that I used is wired with a negative common as opposed to a positive. My homemade led boards were wired positive so they had to be scrapped. I installed the boards and soldered in the connections. To prevent light bleed I gave the boards and leds several coats of primer then drilled small holes in the top of each led, fibre optic strands will be fitted into the marker/tailights when all else is done!

Here's a couple of pics of the chassis with the lights activated:

D1493884-28C4-47AE-AA7C-9195042C8772_zpsqwzqx3we.jpg

DA7D2DD6-8718-444D-8486-399C0366655A_zpsfipm7x6p.jpg

Posted (edited)

Finally got the fibre optics fitted for the lights and installed the sound decoder, so it's all finished bar the weathering!

Here's a quick video of it in action shunting a few bogie flats. As you can see the slow running is very good. The soundfile is actually an EMD 567 rather than the 645 that was fitted to the A class but I think it sounds pretty good, please let me know what you guys think....

[video=youtube;ih9y-3Lr-gc]

Edited by irishthump

That look's and sounds great :-bd Just a bit of weathering and it

will be complete.

Totally Awsome irishthump & the slow bit ain't got anything wrong with it, if anything to me it's dam near perfect, but she's very CLEAN.....

BTB

Sounds pretty good to me. I played around with various sound files for my A Class, and ended up using an EMD 567 sound file, as it sounded better than the correct EMD 645 one.

Sounds pretty good to me. I played around with various sound files for my A Class, and ended up using an EMD 567 sound file, as it sounded better than the correct EMD 645 one.

That's what I thought myself DV! Did you get your own A Class finished?

It; that is excellent I love the sound and lights. But far too clean! I wonder how long till we get a Crossley sound file?

Finally got the fibre optics fitted for the lights and installed the sound decoder, so it's all finished bar the weathering!

Here's a quick video of it in action shunting a few bogie flats. As you can see the slow running is very good. The soundfile is actually an EMD 567 rather than the 645 that was fitted to the A class but I think it sounds pretty good, please let me know what you guys think....

[video=youtube;ih9y-3Lr-gc]

Fab-U-lous. How did I miss this post. Super result Graham, especially the chassis and paint job. She runs better then any model A class I've ever seen. Love the sound. Which horn track did you use?

Fab-U-lous. How did I miss this post. Super result Graham, especially the chassis and paint job. She runs better then any model A class I've ever seen. Love the sound. Which horn track did you use?

Thanks Noel!

Yes it runs better than I expected. The only gripe was that I wasn't able to rig the headlights to a different function on the decoder so I just settled for the marker/tail lights.

I'd have to check which horn I used, but I plan to change the brake sound anyway as it sounds a bit naff!