Graham's Workbench

Rate this topic

irishthump

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Dempsey said:

Nice job. How did you go about it? 

I started off with Tony Mirolo’s tutorial to get the streaking effect down the sides of the bubble but I went for a heavier application. The layer of crusty cement on the top was made of plaster of Paris mixed with a small amount of black and brown weathering powder to give it a grey colour. I brush this on the top of the bubble and streak it down the sides. Then mist water over the plaster with a spray bottle to make it set hard. You can repeat this several times depending on what effect you’re looking for. 

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

• 9 months later...

The arrival of the new A Classes have inspired me to do some work on the layout which has been neglected for a while!

I wanted to replace a bridge on the layout, the existing one being made from brickpaper from Scalescenes. It looked ok but I was never very happy with it. I decided to use XPS insulation for the new structure. It was cut to size and shape and the brickwork was then carved in by hand.

D19BCBE7-22C6-4005-A62E-420B5337828C.jpeg

Most people use PVA to seal foam before painting but I prefer to use a coat of Mod Podge mixed with black paint. This creates a harder shell on the foam. Then I painted it using a tan colour acrylic paint.

6A001C3E-B70D-4F31-A8ED-1136DEDE780E.jpeg

Next I add some variation by painting some of the bricks various different shades. I used the following colours…

40834B65-3215-4F6C-9841-558F8347844E.jpeg

The affect looks a little stark but it will be toned down with a wash.

C37DEE89-1DAF-4A9F-AF81-9A4398E23763.jpeg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Not at all. Simply my elderly fingers mixing up ‘angry’ and ‘like’ on the iPhone…..sorry! I really liked the image of 142 - reminded me of the glory days of 80s CIE….

Oh I’m sorry man! I thought you were throwing me a disapproving look! 
“How dare he put a HO scale figure into a OO gauge loco!”

• Funny 3

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished the rake of 12 cement bubbles. I wasn’t entirely happy with how thy looked; I’d deliberately tried to make each wagon unique but it didn’t quite work. So I gave the whole rake an overall coat of grey with the airbrush and it seems to be a better look.

0AF40BA9-3DC1-4324-BB25-0DCA90D73595.jpeg

E233E71F-BFD3-4C83-B07D-FF5ACAA19EC1.jpeg

8881A363-BED7-4A6B-9F30-4395F222F09A.jpeg

7B3C7432-78BB-40CB-8F53-B2A1F4C42008.jpeg

Edited by irishthump
  • Like 10
  • WOW! 3

On 16/12/2021 at 7:28 PM, irishthump said:

Finally finished the rake of 12 cement bubbles. I wasn’t entirely happy with how thy looked; I’d deliberately tried to make each wagon unique but it didn’t quite work. So I gave the whole rake and overall coat of grey with the airbrush and it seems to be a better look.

I encountered the same problem when working on mine. I over complicated things, and ended up going around in circles on an 18 wagon rake.

The dusting you've given them with the airbrush has blended everything together very nicely. Great work. 

• Like 2