OO Works 101 - Coming Closer!

Rate this topic

Patrick Davey

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

1160-3 J15 No119 arriving Sligo  Ireland (JW Armstrong)  163

Here is J15 119 arriving at Sligo late 1940's early 50's..  Checking through the files I have discovered another 75 odd JW Armstrong /ARPT  images to upload to Flickr when I get the time. Smoke box door handle and the tender differ from the 00Works offering.

Ernie

119 may have been fitted with a large tender to increase coal and water capacity for working Limerick-Sligo goods trains, there is a photo of 229 with a large tender on a southbound goods at Ballycar. Before closure the Limerick Sligo goods only called at the principal stations south of Claremorris before calling at all intermediate stations Claremorris to Sligo. There was a similar arrangement with the North Wall-Ballina goods which basically operated as a limited stop service Northwall-Claremorris before calling at all stations on the branch. West of Athlone a Midland Standard goods worked the train due to weight restrictions on the Ballina Branch.

Tenders were routinely swapped between locomotives of the same class.

It’s important to note that when deciding what number to put on your locomotive, things like cab style, original or later smokebox, chimney type, wheel type and so on, and above all boiler type - will be the  things that decide whether you have No. 124, 175, 133 or 200.

Preserved 186 has a tender off something else entirely, and 184 was, I think, given an old style one for a film contract, having in more recent times had a bigger one.

With the J15s being such a big class, the loco shown above, 119, could be represented by the new model, as you could say it was temporarily running with an older tender. Subject, of course, to minor modification to the smoke box door if one was persistent enough!

The above photo would be in the 1950s rather than forties as the locomotive has lost its cast numberplates. The guards van is a GSWR one of a type very similar to the one recently released by Provincial Wagons. This, and the J15, indicates that it’s the down (northbound) Limerick goods entering Sligo, as neither southern guards vans nor, even more so, J15s, would be seen on the MGWR.

The train will have taken some seven hours from Limerick, stopping at just about every halt and hole in the hedge along the way.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Wailing and Gnashing of Teeth has started, here in jhb171 Towers.

I have wondered over the last few days why my eagerly awaited package from 00 Works hasn’t appeared; I sent a payment weeks ago. 

But now, all has been revealed, thanks to Resident Dog. While playing “catch the toy dragon” with him just now, I ended up spying a well wrapped package under the settee.

The wailing has started! It transpires that the Domestic Authorities have intercepted said package, so the two J15s therein have been IMPOUNDED until Christmas Day!

Aaaarrrrrrgggghhhghghhhh!!!!!

• Funny 3

4 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

The Wailing and Gnashing of Teeth has started, here in jhb171 Towers.

I have wondered over the last few days why my eagerly awaited package from 00 Works hasn’t appeared; I sent a payment weeks ago. 

But now, all has been revealed, thanks to Resident Dog. While playing “catch the toy dragon” with him just now, I ended up spying a well wrapped package under the settee.

The wailing has started! It transpires that the Domestic Authorities have intercepted said package, so the two J15s therein have been IMPOUNDED until Christmas Day!

Aaaarrrrrrgggghhhghghhhh!!!!!

It will make the wait and looking forward to it all the more enjoyable. :) Anticipation is what its all about.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

OO-Works J15 video clip with LokSound Irish Steam sound project by http://www.wheeltappersdccsounds.co.uk (ie Neil = Wiggy on RMweb).

I sent my J15 over to Neil @ WheeltappersDCCsounds to get his J15 sound project installed plus a pair of head lamps. She sounds great. Looking forward to running here back at home next week. Some nice extra sound functions on this project simulating a rake of loose coupled wagons starting off with cascading coupling snatches as the slack is taken up down a rake of wagons, and the reciporical cascading buffer clashing on stoping as each wagon closes the gap behind the braking loco.

In time I will add some finishing details, number and gently weather the loco.

• Like 7
  • WOW! 2

On 5/10/2019 at 9:33 PM, jhb171achill said:

Ooooooohhhhh!!  Where’s me smelling salts!!

Indeed. Now I need to source, convert, kit-bash or assemble some six wheel flying snail green coaches to go with her (aka John Wayne the Quiet Man opening scene @ Ballyglunen Railway Station, or 'Castletown' as it was names in the movie).

Noel

Apart from 3-4 short branch lines, steam hauled passenger trains that would run behind a J15 on suburban or secondary main line passenger services in CIE days were more likely to be made up of elderly bogie GSWR coaches than 6 wheelers. 

You might be better off re-painting some Triang Clerestory coaches http://www.gwr.org.uk/protriang.html for layout train that passes the 2' rule, at a pass the Ratio GWR 4 wheel coaches could pass for ex-WLWR coaches taken over by the GSWR.

Years ago Tim Cramer kitbashed GSWR 45' coaches out of Triang Clerestory coaches by replacing the roof with a plasticard low arch roof and fitting whitemetal ventilators and light fittings, he also widened the coach to a scale width 21mm gauge model, by throwing away basically everything apart from the sides and building new floor, ends and partitions out of plasticard but that's another story.

The SSM GSWR 6w coaches are supplied as a complete kit including OO gauge wheels and the main components are basically designed to bolt together.

IMG_2302.JPG.d0981305fceedc71fa44fe6625168fef.JPG

The Worsley Works GSWR 6 wheelers are supplied as a sheet of etched parts only without castings or wheels.

Ken & Popeye identified some design issues with their threads on Worsley Works 6 wheelers, on the plus side a much wider variety of coaches than the SSM kits.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on the 00 Works J15.

I was speaking to Roderick this morning and he told me that he had built some extra locos on spec for sales beyond his order book.

He has some of each type left - GREY or BLACK.

He does NOT rerun locos, so if you want one, now is the time to strike!

ACT NOW!

On 5/31/2019 at 12:36 PM, leslie10646 said:

Just an update on the 00 Works J15.

I was speaking to Roderick this morning and he told me that he had built some extra locos on spec for sales beyond his order book.

He has some of each type left - GREY or BLACK.

He does NOT rerun locos, so if you want one, now is the time to strike!

ACT NOW!

I see they are now listed on ebay.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/ooworks-J15-101-0-6-0-locomotive-Grey/113777122661?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/ooworks-J15-101-0-6-0-locomotive-Black/113777120342?hash=item1a7da51456:g:6K4AAOSwOPxc~Ruo

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

The Black one does look nice, much nicer than the grey. I know these are very limited but €324 for a Loco. Mind you I could get rid of some of the excess I have to fund one if I put me mind to it.

I suspect a J15 commissioned from a brass kit to the same standard as an 00 Works would probably cost at least double. I've seen too many bokety looking brass built locos, off square, off true, and run like Triang tractors from the 70s. The 00 Works J15 while not perfect is beautiful and easy to add detail.

1 hour ago, Noel said:

I suspect a J15 commissioned from a brass kit to the same standard as an 00 Works would probably cost at least double. I've seen too many bokety looking brass built locos, off square, off true, and run like Triang tractors from the 70s. The 00 Works J15 while not perfect is beautiful and easy to add detail.

Why not put up photographic evidence of all these bokety brass models you refer to and I mean all of them. Put up pics from all these bokety brass models that members have uploaded to this group.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

oddball.jpg

I suspect a J15 commissioned from a brass kit to the same standard as an 00 Works would probably cost at least double. 

Well said, Noel. I've never paid less than £250 to get a brass job built and they usually needed a lot of tweaking to get them to run well, so by the time you'd paid for the kit, motor, gears, etc - you are invariably looking at £400 plus. Roderick's engines generally run well, out of the box. Not cheap, of course compared to a diesel which is made in the thousands.

There is a considerable market for rtr batch produced brass models in the United States https://www.overlandhobbies.com/HO_Scale_s/232.htm, a much more valid comparison with OO Works Locos than a brass kit assembled by an in-experienced or careless builder.

There is a reasonable market for rtr brass models in O gauge and the larger scales, but its hard to see too many Irish modelers being prepared to shell out  £1000+ for a brass rtr Irish steam loco  &  £500 each per individual coach.

A rtr injection moulded plastic or die-cast model is obviously designed for ease of assembly by semi skilled workers, while a sheet metal model by its sheer nature requires a higher level of craftmanship in its assembly which is reflected in its price.

Some Bokety Brass rtr models.

1 Bokety brass Accucraft (China) electric large scale 2-8-2 $2-2500 on US second hand market. (the switch stands are pissed). The loco was factory assembled from milled and etched brass & stainless steel components.

IMG_3464.thumb.JPG.13008dc2c8dbafe36ff3202b2b32832b.JPG

Berlyn Brass (Korea) RGS Motor 6 (Opening cab doors, bonnet & tool box) Bonnet slightly open to aid ventilation. Protototype had a reputation of overheating even while running downhill.

IMG_3470.thumb.JPG.d4d14e52f76431e8ebf924fa1c86d937.JPG

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 4

Ah ha, John, piccies from the famous Garden Railway. It (they) look very nice. 

Out of season for you now?

Leslie

I sent my J15 over to Neil @ WheeltappersDCCsounds to get his J15 sound project installed plus a pair of head lamps. She sounds great. Looking forward to running here back at home next week. Some nice extra sound functions on this project simulating a rake of loose coupled wagons starting off with cascading coupling snatches as the slack is taken up down a rake of wagons, and the reciporical cascading buffer clashing on stoping as each wagon closes the gap behind the braking loco.

Thanks for posting the video, Noel. Almost convinces me to fit mine, although it is only intended for very occasional use.

Anyone got any thoughts on a good sound chip for a small-wheeled two cylinder 4-4-0 (the U Class being my thoughts). Of course, I should fit sound to No.171?

Good Morning all

Well .....after a couple of sleeepless nights , endless indecision and ruminating on the issue for days - I have placed an order last night for one of these lovely locos.

I thought about it long and hard and the following came to mind:

a) Im going to model the old GWSR Carlow/Wexford line ( Bagnalstown and Palace East Stations , Borris Halt and a bit of Rural in between) circa 1955-1965 - ie as it closed - its J15 country - Beet and cattle specials on an essentially dormant line - I believe the only time a diesel ran down it was at the end - an A class to collect wagons and a C Class on the lifting train - I need a J15

b) the IRM fellas are realistically going to concentrate on the diesel scene in the foreseeable future ( now Sods law...............)

c) Brass kits etc etc - with the best will in the world - there is more chance of me working on the next Lunar Landing module than bringing one of those kits to a successful conclusion - total novice on kits

d) They looked great and ye guys are raving about them and 00 Works - that does count when Im handing over essentially my car insurance premium for one loco!

So I came to the conclusion that I simply "had" to have one..................Jeez I'm getting in deep to this model railway stuff now!!

So there we go and the waiting starts! - I have redirected it to a secure location for collection - if her indoors gets wind of this I'll be measuring for baseboards in the kennel!

Ed

Edited by Edo
  • Like 4
  • Funny 1

Great plan Edo. But don’t rule out brass. One of the few Irish words used on me at home was  ciotógach due to my manual ineptitude. And yet I’ve managed a few brass kits / not perfectly but ok....give it a go!!! This was my first one - I broke bits, melted bits etc - but it is very forgiving!  

493AA8FE-752E-407B-B198-51DB00CD8AE9.jpeg

DA67E47E-E22F-46EF-9F04-997DD7528ADE.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 5

thanks for the encouragement GM - Im not completely hopeless in that department ( just spent the day fixing the lawnmower, changing the oil and brakes on the car and putting up shelves in the Garden shed) - but there is a degree of complexity and delicateness that i would fear in my hands!! - however - like 99.999% of things in life - its an experience thing and I might aswell take the plunge sooner................

Actually I had planned to buy a few kits off Leslie to start building up relevant rolling stock - open beet wagons and brake wagons - Sorry Leslie - you got gazumped by Roderick  for the toy train budget for a few months - I will be back to you for wagon  kits by the end of the summer! ( well if you want business sooner - just tell me you are down to your last few kits and you're never ever ever ever making them again and I'll drop the car off at the pawnshop :D)

Ed

Edited by Edo
  • Like 2

I'm sure that you have made the right decision Edo. No use having wagons if you have nothing to pull them with!

That said, I'm older than Roderick by more than a decade ...........

I hope that you enjoy running the loco - as I've said before, mine is on a train of bubbles with a GSWR brake upstairs! Now there's heresy.

• Like 2

Psssst........look what arrived today!

Gave it the quick once over before carefully putting it back in its box and putting it safely away - hopefully next time to be seen hauling a mixed rake of cattle and open wagons out of Palace East!

Ed

20190615_200650.jpg

20190615_200624.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/13/2019 at 8:57 PM, leslie10646 said:

I'm sure that you have made the right decision Edo. No use having wagons if you have nothing to pull them with!

That said, I'm older than Roderick by more than a decade ...........

I hope that you enjoy running the loco - as I've said before, mine is on a train of bubbles with a GSWR brake upstairs! Now there's heresy.

Not so much heresy,Leslie, more like this...

5346FB80-5D2C-4799-A959-B2644E6C600E.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Funny 2

Very good, David! At the very least a matter for the Ethics Committee (ask your Dad!).

Good move,  Edo, I look forward to seeing her at Palace East - I've actually been through your local station behind No.151 on the famous outing in 1963, organised by my school railway society.

• Like 2

A J15 with bubbles!

Well, if the bubbles had been a mere two years earlier, and steam less than two years later, could have happened......

In May 1980 I watched an 1879-built wood-burning 2.4.0 tender engine, built by Sharp, Stewart & Co., Atlas Works, Manchester*, leave Madiun (Java, Indonesia) to head off to a modern military air base with a tanker of jet aeroplane fuel in tow.....!

Ye couldn't have made it up. The same locomotive lasted in traffic until as late as 1987 - one of the last steam locos of the PJKA in use. 

(*  before they moved to Glasgow)

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 3