Irish Articles in Magazines

Rate this topic

Georgeconna

On 21/1/2022 at 12:10 PM, Eagles said:

On Page 152 of the February issue of Hornby magazine, Mail Order Key Books, there’s a new paperback book, “Irish Railways; The Last 60 Years” priced at £15.99 plus postage. I got different paperback books from Key Publishing and they’re very informative.  Also in the Hornby February issue, there’s a review of the Tara Mines Ore wagons. Quality review. 

Collected a copy of the new Baker book at the Severn Valley on Thursday. To say the least the selection of some poor photos and mistakes by the author makes it difficult to give a positive comment about the 60 years book.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 29/12/2022 at 6:41 PM, Haulier said:

A big article about THE LAST DECADE OF THE DONEGAL in the DECEMBER 2022 issue of RAILWAY BYLINES [ by JIM Mc BRIDE ]

Mystery solved , I received a cheque with a copy of the December British Railways Illustrated but none of my photos were in it. Publishers should have sent a copy of Bylines. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The Locomotive Magazine featured GSWR 90 (simply designated as “C” at the time) in its 16/5/1903 issue, complete with a photo of the loco in its original condition – this is the only photo of it like this that I’ve ever seen. I’m 99% sure it’s 90, as the carriage portion on this railmotor is very different than that on No 91, and even more different than that on No 92.

The article reads:

“Our first illustration needs little description, beyond the fact that the combination engine and carriage here shown was, until quite recently, running on the Gortatlea and Castleisland Railway of the GSWR of Ireland, whence within the last few years it has been transferred to the Fermoy and Mitchelstown branch of the same company. The engine is of small dimensions throughout, having cylinders only 10 in diameter with a stroke of 18 inches, 3 ft 6 in coupled wheels, a total heating surface of 362 sq ft, and a weight in roadworthy condition of 23t 7cwts. While in service in Kerry, the carriage on the engine frame was, curiously enough, not used for carrying passengers.”

3E532B5D-F635-4804-B19C-FE6F751A9FC4.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...