Rails of Sheffield - a warning of absence of care.

Rate this topic

flowcoach

Be warned...

I bought a 121 from Rails of Sheffield.

The vacuum pipes were incomplete, so I sent it back.

The replacement had complete vacuum pipes, but made a grinding sound in one direction and was missing the plastic sleeve for removing the loco.

I detailed all this to them, and that I wanted a replacement with NONE of those faults.

The next replacement had ALL of those faults AND was missing all four axle boxes from one bogie.

I've sent it back and I am still waiting for a refund.

There has been no apology from the company; not even an acknowledgement of poor service.

Never. Again.

• Informative 2
  • Confused 2

I see they are selling off the 121's at reduced prices. Wonder if the ones you got were returns?  Annoying to say the least. I have had dealings with them in the past and all went well. It is the best way to judge a company, i.e. in how they deal with issues like this.

• Like 1

I bought a 121 loco from an Irish model shop. When it arrived it was missing a coupling hook. I emailed Murphy Models who told me to go through the retailer for this. So I contacted the shop who ordered the coupling from Murphy Models and then forwarded it to me.

I got a Hornby loco from which was missing a coupling hook. I contacted Hornby and they sent two replacements straight away.

• Like 1

Sorry to add to the cries of woe but Murphy product support has been non existent for me. 
I purchased seven 121’s in total from 2 retailers. 

Both contacted about broken vac pipes. Both said they couldn’t get parts return them. Kept them and contacted Murphy who then said the problem would be forwarded to the repairs guy. 
3 months later still no vac pipes. Not good enough for modern day standards. I certainly has dented my confidence in Murphy Models.   I have a large number of locos but it’s concerning little support for. 
By comparison, I had a 8 year old Rapido Trains LRC Loco that suddenly developed a motor fault. Contacted them three weeks ago. Motor sent free of charge and received over a week ago. Installed myself and model running like a dream. 
Certainly makes me consider concentrating on North American modelling again. 

• Like 3

Sad to see that happening,

I fear for when the motors start packing up or the boards go in the babies and later products.....where will you be able to go.

The Small Scale lads like MM, Rails, Hattons, Kernow now, KR etc are doing excellent models but spares will be a big issue later on. Hopefully I will be proved wrong.

Nice to hear Rapido are looking after you, They are some lads in all fairness!

Maybe people are expecting too much, detail and robustness? These things were a one off and they are as they arrived, it's not going to magically get better. I'm sure GM vacuum pipes are available from other sources anyway, maybe 3.5 rather than 4mm but who would notice.

Edited by NIR

2 hours ago, NIR said:

Maybe people are expecting too much, detail and robustness? These things were a one off and they are as they arrived, it's not going to magically get better. I'm sure GM vacuum pipes are available from other sources anyway, maybe 3.5 rather than 4mm but who would notice.

Sure the models may be fragile and one might break something in use like the vacuum pipes, but to be fair, they need to come in the correct condition.

I'm sure if you sent a cheque to any retailer that was a tenner short they wouldn't find that acceptable either

My 121 now has whitemetal vac pipes from 55L much more robust than the Murphy Models one's and a little "beefier" so look better. Or so I think.  It all sounds as if my remark made some time ago about my 121's and MM's Quality control was correct which is a shame as I thought  the 121 was to be Mr Murphys swansong.

I spoke with PM this afternoon and I will be stocking spare parts for the 121's,  probably in early September
I will have them at the Bray Wheelers gig for anyone local and should otherwise be contactable via DM here
Spares are also available from PM  for warranty work, but bear with him its a one man show and things move a tad slower that expected
The issue with the vac pipes is that he went for scale pipes and obviously it wasnt his best decision, 

1 hour ago, Mike 84C said:

My 121 now has whitemetal vac pipes from 55L much more robust than the Murphy Models one's and a little "beefier" so look better. Or so I think.  It all sounds as if my remark made some time ago about my 121's and MM's Quality control was correct which is a shame as I thought  the 121 was to be Mr Murphys swansong.

Any chance of a pic showing the white metal versus the MM ones?

19 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Sad to see that happening,

I fear for when the motors start packing up or the boards go in the babies and later products.....where will you be able to go.

The Small Scale lads like MM, Rails, Hattons, Kernow now, KR etc are doing excellent models but spares will be a big issue later on. Hopefully I will be proved wrong.

Nice to hear Rapido are looking after you, They are some lads in all fairness!

Spare motors are available not sure about the boards, I will let you know when I hook up with PM.

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

It's sad to hear that MM is a solo effort. I have to say that MM is responsible for my interest in irish railway modelling. When I returned to the hobby I knew nothing of the rich history of irish rail. I have MM and also now IRM to thank for increasing my knowledge and being for driver behind me wanting to learn more. 

• Like 6
  • Informative 1

On 7/8/2021 at 5:37 PM, WRENNEIRE said:

The issue with the vac pipes is that he went for scale pipes and obviously it wasnt his best decision, 

this and the flimsy handrails are my 2 biggest gripes with the 121, obviously both are as so for the above mentioned reason so its hard to complain.

• Like 1

I should have also said that when I mounted the vac pipe I drilled the buffer beams to accept said pipe, put a dimple where the dummy end mounts on the buffer beam and a small piece of plastic strip between the body and the white metal mounting bracket on the vac pipe. And bend the white metal pipe very carefully!

• Like 3

Thanks Wrenneire, yes I am. I would have prefered a more acute bend from the vertical to the horizontal at the buffer beam but white metal has its limitations!  Made the best of a poor situation.

Now a question, in the parts bag is a cylinder/tank with a pipe coming out of it. Where does it go? 'cos I worked out where all the other detail parts go.