Borris Railway

Rate this topic

fergalm1

• 4 months later...

Absolutely stunning layout!

With no 00 Works J15s left now, unless they do a re-run or you get lucky on ebay, you'd do a lot worse than just repaint one of those LNER ones in dark grey and weather the living daylights out of it............ I thought of doing that years ago before the 00 Works ones came out.

You need a brake van also for those beet wagons - they only ran without them once they became double decked - Leslie's "Provincial Wagons" one, Mayner's CIE one(s), or Studio Scale Models' brass kit of a CIE one would do that job perfectly!

Keep the pics coming - the scenery on that layout sets a bar for all of us. Your attention to detail of the rural landscape is unreal.

What's that station building, if I may ask - is it Skaledale?

Also, what's the beet load?

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

@jhb171achill some good knowledge there - thank you. A repaint is on the cards along with a repaint of the brake van which driver forgot to attach and had to return to Borris for after @WRENNEIRE called the Gardai on him. As if things weren't bad enough, work on Bagenalstown (Muine Bheag) Station house has come to a standstill after labourers downed tools - something to do about material cost inflation and a fixed contract price. Borris Station building made from card with Das clay applied and a roller to imprint the stone pattern (have posted a photo of the roller on the previous page). Beet is also made from small pieces of Das clay formed into shape. I made a latex mould from a pile of the pieces, fitted to wagon size and then was able to replicate a good few times from resin quickly. Hand painted after to give variety of colour.

IMG_9125.jpeg

IMG_9123.jpeg

• Like 12
  • WOW! 1

32 minutes ago, fergalm1 said:

@jhb171achill some good knowledge there - thank you. A repaint is on the cards along with a repaint of the brake van which driver forgot to attach and had to return to Borris for after @WRENNEIRE called the Gardai on him. As if things weren't bad enough, work on Bagenalstown (Muine Bheag) Station house has come to a standstill after labourers downed tools - something to do about material cost inflation and a fixed contract price. Borris Station building made from card with Das clay applied and a roller to imprint the stone pattern (have posted a photo of the roller on the previous page). Beet is also made from small pieces of Das clay formed into shape. I made a latex mould from a pile of the pieces, fitted to wagon size and then was able to replicate a good few times from resin quickly. Hand painted after to give variety of colour.

IMG_9125.jpeg

IMG_9123.jpeg

Wow - in all cases, looks amazing!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Having dropped into the Wexford train show and seen a few Bedford SS "Bus Scoile" on display only to be disappointed to learn that they're impossible to source, I set to making one from scratch. First prototype attached. Modelled from diagrams I found in a New Irish Lines volume. Main body laser cut from laser ply on Beamo desktop laser with rough sanding of a balsa piece to form the roof. Not as good as the models on display in Wexford but it's a start and can hide between the ditches on some part of the Borris layout when complete.

IMG_9189.jpeg

• Like 10
  • WOW! 2

On 12/6/2022 at 6:22 PM, fergalm1 said:

The LNER J15 has been weathered into an Irish equivalent. First time trying my hand at this

523315FC-A21B-498C-B994-5986A49FBF5E.jpeg

If it’s any good, we’re due to have a Belfair firebox J-15 from 00 works announced later on this year 

excellent layout by the way 

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/4/2024 at 11:13 PM, fergalm1 said:

Bit more work on Muine Bheag/Bagenalstown station with some guest appearances by some wagons

IMG_8122.jpeg

IMG_8123.jpeg

IMG_8126.jpeg

IMG_8127.jpeg

IMG_8136.jpeg

Ah, yes, but what wonderful wagons they are (but I would say that, wouldn't I?).

Oops, the new IRM ones are nearly as good as mine, as modelled by Michael. My records show that I've sold you a couple of mine, Fergal - but I didn't realise that you were hiring out Mott's Line for trials of new rolling stock!

Apologies. The dustbin Zinc colour has been well captured by IRM's Chinese accomplises. Lovely.

Edited by leslie10646
Inaccuracy!!!!
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1