Borris Railway

Rate this topic

fergalm1

Thanks Galteemore, base structure for buildings was from foam board with openings cut out. I 3d printed a small roller with a stone pattern on it and rolled this across thin strips of Daz clay to replicate the stone work. Strips were then glued on to foam board with PVA. Ledges were formed from small pieces of clay also. When dry, a wash was applied with dry brushing later to give a varied stone colouring. Slates were made from overlapped cut card painted slate with lighter dry brushing for weathered effect

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

Below are 2 of the tools used that I 3d printed , one is the roller for the stonework imprint and the other small box I used to extrude small hexagonal chimney stacks for the station. I pushed clay into the box and stacks formed through the hexagonal opening in the bottom 

ED8AC0AD-B384-4CB2-8B01-E71CBCC8F18F.jpeg

• Like 9
  • WOW! 1

More 3D printed sophistication! Ken, J-mo and now Fergalm. The traditional solution would be to cover everything in clay and then hand scribe all the stones, so love the creative thinking to design a roller - and dare I say, one that could well have a commercial application.As

Fine work all round.

• Like 3

Wow! First Layout - seriously impressive. Don't worry, it may be your first but it looks like it was built by a seasoned master. Learning? Your learning exceptionally fast. Love it.

Stream and viaduct really impressive. there is so much in that hard to pick out all the high points. Love the way the scenics blend seamlessly into the back scene. Really Exceptional. "Well done" almost seems patronising but you know what I mean. Hats off. Hope you are really pleased with the way it has turned out. Will enjoy watching this in the future.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That’s delightful. The composition of the farm buildings below the viaduct is spot on - so often a ‘farm’ is just three buildings placed on a flat piece of grass, looking more like a barracks! The varied heights and angles here ring true.

517E1B65-9AB4-4FEC-8D92-598EA51337D7.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

Fergalm1 - beautiful images, and of course, your truly lovely layout.

I love the fine details - various tractors, the Bedford lorry and the MG (?). I see from the tread that this is your first layout - amazing achievement. I'm just a rookie, currently accumulating stock and learning so much from the many talented people on this forum. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, fergalm1 said:

A few detailing updates now that there's a grand stretch in the hours of darkness........

IMG_7007.JPEG

IMG_7010.JPEG

IMG_7012.JPEG

c'est magnifique. Sublime, I hope you are well pleased, that’s a masterpiece of subtle reality and scenic photo realism. Holy moly that last photo in particular is hard to tell if it’s a model or an actual photo. The detail is off the scale. You’ve set a new standard and shown what is possible with artistic creativity, time and patience. Congrats. Is it portable or a fixed layout? If the former can’t wait to see it operating at shows.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yes, again, all the above compliments very much deserved. There is so much detail here reflecting the love of farming and the countryside, as well as railways. There is so much to like, the tractor tracks in the soft ground, the hay in the barn, the vegetable garden and greenhouse and the blown off corrugated roof! The other outstanding feature ,( as well as the viaduct and of course the track), is how well the backscene fits in. Many congrats and looking forward to more.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow Fergal, class work there, am also a fan of DAS clay myself :) The scenery is beautiful and something to aspire to, love that you included Mt Leinster - I’m also learning as I go and chose a small depot to learn on instead of a country scene (layout topic being opened tomorrow).

I’ll be following this one with great interest, I grew up in Carlow town in the 80s as well so the sugar beet is very familiar, all you need to work out now is how to get the “campaign” smell going 😂

• Like 3