Guinness Tanktainers

Rate this topic

Evening All,

I took photos of these tanktainers down on the north wall in 2008, and they may or may not be rail related. They would make an interesting respray or scratchbuild project for anyone interested the black stuff. Were they used to transport by road to the UK maybe? If there's any info about, it would be great to have it. Richie.

DSCF1414.jpg

DSCF1413.jpg

DSCF1412.jpg

DSCF1411.jpg

DSCF1410.jpg

DSCF1414.jpg

DSCF1413.jpg

DSCF1412.jpg

DSCF1411.jpg

DSCF1410.jpg

Great pics guys especially the A class and wagons. I can't remember seeing the tanktainers before. Any more pics from that day in the North Wall Richie.

Rich,

Yeah, a few hundred actually! Not all rail related, but i'll pick out the interesting ones, and stick them in an album for a flick through at leisure. R.

• 8 years later...

Another thread revival, sorry!

Does anybody know where these tanktainers (Harp, Satzenbrau) would have been going to or from? I am assuming it was bulk product being sent somewhere to be bottled or put in kegs perhaps?

Were similar containers ever seen around Kilkenny (Smithwicks)?

On 25/3/2021 at 10:04 AM, murphaph said:

Another thread revival, sorry!

Does anybody know where these tanktainers (Harp, Satzenbrau) would have been going to or from? I am assuming it was bulk product being sent somewhere to be bottled or put in kegs perhaps?

Were similar containers ever seen around Kilkenny (Smithwicks)?

Diageo have a bottling/canning plant close to Adelaide yard in Belfast, so would think that was a possible destination.. There was also a bottling plant in Dundalk, but I am unsure if this is still in operation.. Any pics I have seen of likely tanks seem to be on the Belfast line.. 

Edited by MOGUL
  • Like 2